What was your favorite hike of 2012?

Options
My husband and I backpacked in Yellowstone...from Bechler Ranger Station to Old Faithful (about 36 miles with a few side trips). It was awesome. just awesome. HIghly recommend this trail...it has it all - lakes, waterfalls, meadows, river crossings. Great trip for wildlife too. Would love to hear what your favorite hike of the year was!

Replies

• pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Not sure if the serious hikers on this website would even consider this a hike, but my husband and I walked a part of the Appalachian Trail that goes through Shenandoah National Park one day last fall. It was muddy and it started raining, but we still saw some great views in between showers, and the day stands out in my mind as a special hike.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is a great question! I'm not sure if I can pick just one. Once summer finally arrived here in the Pacific Northwest, we had some great day hikes. I think my favorites were Maple Pass/Heather Pass and Park Butte in the North Cascades. The Maple Pass trail loops up above Lake Ann. In September, the alpine larches were turning gold and the foliage of the blueberries/huckleberries was turning bright red.

IMG_4554_zpsd36c3537.jpg
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You all inspire me so much!!! I have never done a hike that is 10 miles in length... I am slowly turning my sedentary husband into a hiker lol. Our best hike of 2012 was about a 4 mile hike in the Mammoth Cave National Park (longest he has ever done). I will mark this as my best hike of 2012, since it marks an experience we had together and that he never thought he'd finish.

oYYntl.jpg

We plan on doing more this year :happy: , and I am so excited I can barely wait.
  • sherrilallen
    Options
    Good for you! Love that you didn't let a little rain spoil the beauty!
  • sherrilallen
    Options
    Sounds gorgeous! Thanks for sharing that picture!
  • sherrilallen
    Options
    That's what it is all about! Being with the one you love in a beautiful place! Doesn't get any better. Hope you can keep getting the husband out with you!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Not sure if the serious hikers on this website would even consider this a hike, but my husband and I walked a part of the Appalachian Trail that goes through Shenandoah National Park one day last fall. It was muddy and it started raining, but we still saw some great views in between showers, and the day stands out in my mind as a special hike.

It's not all about how high up, how far or how fast you go. It's about the journey. Thats great that it was a special hike. It's all about making great memories, and getting exercise.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Someone asked me once, what my favorite hike was. I couldn't answer. After a long pause , my answer was, "usually the trail I'm on at the moment". Which is true, because usuallly when I'm there, I always say "oh this is my favorite" .
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    By far the Pickle Jar lakes hike in Kananaskis! If you go in from the picnic area you can detour into the most amazing valley! Flowers and fireweed everywhere! You end up at a backbacking campground at the top of a pass. Just beautiful! If you are in it for the lakes though don't go this way as it does triple the distance of the hike. Very, very pretty!
  • Angeliize
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have done a section of the AT a few times in PA from New Tripoli to Hamburg. We did it this year when the night well into the 30's. I was worried because I get cold at 60. I packed extra clothing and was so proud of myself! I carried the extra weight without difficulty and I wasn't too cold at all! The day temps were in the upper 50's. There is nothing better than having a campfire in the middle of nowhere on the top of the mountain with just the stars look down. Of course... now he wants to try a colder one... lol what did I get myself into?!?
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Well I cant lie that my favorite one was Mt.Rainier but that was a little more then my usual hikes lol

I really had a great time doing Fairview with my family last summer in Lake Louise! The views are amazing!
  • mtgoat
    mtgoat Posts: 5
    Options
    My favorite hike in 2012 was a very short hike up Balsam Lake Mt. In the Catskills. The reason it was the best, is because my son came with me. He really doesn't care for hiking but he was leaving for Japan, and took a day to do something with me that I love.
  • SarahE1092
    Options
    Last year we hard for us. We either had plans already or the weather was crappy in VA. Our favorite hike was a backpack we did in George Washington National forest called Duncan Knob. it was just a diverse and fun hike. Had lots of ticks, and almost got lost once, but we made it out, 11 miles in total for the two days. We have already been on 3 hikes this year, hope to get more in this year than last!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bowfell in the Lake District - climbed it from the Great Langdale valley and took far too long thanks to lots of ice and snow on top. But exhilarating nonetheless!

Some great ideas for hikes above - I need a trip to the US!
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bowfell in the Lake District - climbed it from the Great Langdale valley and took far too long thanks to lots of ice and snow on top. But exhilarating nonetheless!

That is a beautiful part of the world! My husband is English (I am American) and, before he came to the U.S., spent a lot of time hiking and climbing in the Lake District. I've only visited the Lake District once, but would love to return.
  • luminos123
    luminos123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We hiked down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back out via trails out of the South Rim. We hiked down the South Kaibab trail and it was gorgeous. Then stayed one night over at Phantom Ranch, Then we hiked out next day on Bright Angel Trail. We went in early October so the heat was not too bad. I would love to hike down the North Trail, stay at Cotton Wood Camp there, and then hike to the bottom and out via South Rim. I would need to be in better shape to hike out via the North Rim. 14 miles and straight up the second half!

We also just did a wonderful 7 mile round trip snow shoe hike to Dewy Point, off of Badger Pass in Yosemite. Bright sun all day and snow was perfect. Recommend both of them!
  • SRH7
    Options

That is a beautiful part of the world! My husband is English (I am American) and, before he came to the U.S., spent a lot of time hiking and climbing in the Lake District. I've only visited the Lake District once, but would love to return.

That's lovely! I'm lucky enough to live under two hours' drive from three of our National Parks so spend most weekends in one of them (Lake District, Peak District and Yorkshire Dales) but have always dreamed of hiking in America. The photo you have posted is incredible - makes me want to go there all the more!

If you are ever back in the Lake Distict drop me a line if you need any recommendations.
  • SRH7
    Options
    My favorite hike in 2012 was a very short hike up Balsam Lake Mt. In the Catskills. The reason it was the best, is because my son came with me. He really doesn't care for hiking but he was leaving for Japan, and took a day to do something with me that I love.

That's made me a bit tearful!
  • sherrilallen
    Options
    Grand Canyon is on my list!
  • mtgoat
    mtgoat Posts: 5
    Options
    Me too, when it occurred to me that he was there just for me.