HOW are you getting FIT for delivery?

Options

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My OB credits my continued workouts during pregnancy to a wonderful 6 hour labor as a FTM last week - stay active because it really does help! I did Zumba/maternity DVDs through the first and second trimesters, then switched to the elliptical in the third due to hip pain. I also swam 2000-3000 yards a few times a week - laser, the flip turns are definitely more challenging pregnant :)
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I still exercise for 20-60 minutes 5-6 times a week. I do elliptical, stationary bike, and strength training. Beyond that, I do prenatal yoga that's specifically designed to open up the hips. With my first two children, I was not very active at all. I walked from time to time, but that's it. I am really curious to see how staying active affects labor this time around.
  • iampanda
    Options
    My OB credits my continued workouts during pregnancy to a wonderful 6 hour labor as a FTM last week - stay active because it really does help! I did Zumba/maternity DVDs through the first and second trimesters, then switched to the elliptical in the third due to hip pain. I also swam 2000-3000 yards a few times a week - laser, the flip turns are definitely more challenging pregnant :)

I really can't wait to see if my labor will be much easier this time around since I am soooo much more active than I was with the first two. This gives me hope!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Fantastic!

Great job momma and congratulations!!!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am almost 30 weeks and still doing Zumba, walking, yoga and ballet. I just finished up my Tuesday night Zumba class at the gym! Keep up the great work, ladies!
  • BlondAnnieOakley
    BlondAnnieOakley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am almost 30 weeks and still doing Zumba, walking, yoga and ballet. I just finished up my Tuesday night Zumba class at the gym! Keep up the great work, ladies!

That is SO great!! It's so so refreshing to hear so many mama's are staying fit during their pregnancy when so many women let themselves go.. even though it would be extremely easy to do!
    Healthy, Happy mama's equal Happy Babies :)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am 35 weeks and still exercising 5 times a week. Generally walking (steep hills), still weight training and some very very modified crossfit. I am amazed at how reduced my lung capacity is at the moment, I am huffing and puffing after the tiniest uphill walk...

With my weight training we concentrated alot on posterior chain strengthening moves, so goodmornings, squats, one legged KB deadlifts, KB swings etc. All aimed at preparing me for tha pushin I guess :)
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 weeks along and I have kept up my workouts 6-7 days a week. I do at least 30 minutes either on the elliptical or a dvd. I use 2 different prenatal pilates dvds and I use the strength/abs (modified) from the Abs Diet 2 dvd. I did very little exercise with my first 2 pregnancies, so it feels good to workout this time around. My last labor was VERY short/easy though (3 hrs from the first contraction to holding my son), so I hope this one isn't any shorter or this kid will be born in the car! I do notice that my legs have kept their muscle definition so far, which wasn't the case in my previous pregnancies. I'm mostly hoping for an easy transition back to my prepregnancy body after the baby gets here.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 weeks along and I have kept up my workouts 6-7 days a week. I do at least 30 minutes either on the elliptical or a dvd. I use 2 different prenatal pilates dvds and I use the strength/abs (modified) from the Abs Diet 2 dvd. I did very little exercise with my first 2 pregnancies, so it feels good to workout this time around. My last labor was VERY short/easy though (3 hrs from the first contraction to holding my son), so I hope this one isn't any shorter or this kid will be born in the car! I do notice that my legs have kept their muscle definition so far, which wasn't the case in my previous pregnancies. I'm mostly hoping for an easy transition back to my prepregnancy body after the baby gets here.

Me too! I am much more active this pregancy and I still have most of my leg muscle definition. I've lost some, but overall, way better than my first two kids, so I'm very hopeful that it is also easy to transition into my prepregnancy body! And I feel like once I start running again, that will help kick it into overdrive anyway. With 6 weeks and counting, I feel like I'm pretty much at the end of the rope already and it should be easy to power through until the end!
  • whiskeyblue22
    Options
    I am (nearly) 8 weeks in, and have been pretty lucky to not have any major nausea or exhaustion (minus a day or two). I have stuck with my regular workout schedule of 4 days running 3-4 miles with some strength on two extra days. I am still on track to run a 10k in April, depending on how I am feeling by then. I am still slowly losing weight with the guidance of a trainer. I am planning on getting an stationary bike for later on in the pregnancy (maybe a pool membership too to combat discomfort). This is my first pregnancy, so I am not too sure that everything will go as planned, but I am committed to stay active in some capacity for the entire duration.
  • BlondAnnieOakley
    Options
    I'm so excited to see all of you being so diligent!!!
    I just switched gyms yesterday and now belong to a really nice fitness center that offers so much more. I'm excited! The child care at the old gym just wasn't cutting it.
    The new gym offers a million classes, swimming, courts, you name it! Great child care....Oh....and a SPA :):):)
    Amazing how switching Gyms can create so much new motivation!

How many of you are members of a gym?? Or do you do your workouts at home?
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever tried a gym, I like the convenience of being able to workout at home, but I'm sure the facilities are awesome. I try to run 3 days a week and do a cardio excercise video on the other days. I also go to aquanatal classes every week. The teacher isn't afraid to push us even though we are pregnant and I like that. I do some light arm strength training too most days as I have very weak arms.On Thursdays when my daughter is home all day I do a run with her in the stroller, it is a killer workout!
  • acampbe2umd
    Options
    I belong to a gym, we've been members to the same gym for 10 years. I love it, it has indoor/outdoor pools and indoor/outdoor tennis courts, group fitness, cafe, spa, child care, etc. My sister belongs to the same company, different gym, but this particular company allows you to visit other gyms within your membership level, so I can meet her for yoga at her gym or somewhere else without paying extra. I also have the capabilities to workout at home too, we have P90x (and various other videos) and free weights, resistance bands, pull up machine, jogging stroller, etc, but that was purchased mainly for my H to be able to workout because I travel so much for work. I also like to take separate boot camp classes. Our gym offers them, but they're another $160/month for boot camp and that is too rich for me. I go to a small personal training gym that has boot camp throughout the week, so I guess I kind of belong to two gyms, but the PT gym is much more affordable if I'm only doing boot camp.

Fitness is such a huge part of our family life. My H and I used to lift and workout together pre-kids and now with the kids, we get our workouts in and then it's nice to be able to go up for family swim or swim lessons for the kids or family gym time especially because our 5 yo is really getting into basketball, so many days we're at the gym twice, especially on the weekends.
  • iampanda
    Options
    I am (nearly) 8 weeks in, and have been pretty lucky to not have any major nausea or exhaustion (minus a day or two). I have stuck with my regular workout schedule of 4 days running 3-4 miles with some strength on two extra days. I am still on track to run a 10k in April, depending on how I am feeling by then. I am still slowly losing weight with the guidance of a trainer. I am planning on getting an stationary bike for later on in the pregnancy (maybe a pool membership too to combat discomfort). This is my first pregnancy, so I am not too sure that everything will go as planned, but I am committed to stay active in some capacity for the entire duration.

Is your trainer in communication with your OB about losing weight? I'm curious since its generally not recommended that you diet or lose weight during pregnancy. Or has that advice now been discredited?
  • BlondAnnieOakley
    Options
    Okay, time for an UPDATE!!
    I'm 33 weeks now, still running 4-5 days a week, lifting weights about 3x a week AND STILL chasing my almost 2 year old! Whhheeew! But I feel GREAT when I workout!

HOW ABOUT YOU LADIES!?!

UPDATE TIME!!

How far along are you?
    What are you still doing?
    How are you feeling?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    How far along are you?
    How are you feeling?

I had my baby on February 4th. Lost 24 of my 30 lb gain in less than two weeks after delivery, but still a little weak. I had to have an emergency c-section, so no workouts until 6 weeks post-partum. I'm really glad I stayed active as long as I did during my pregnancy. My doctor and midwife said that it definitely helped get me through a long hard labor and c-section recovery.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Okay, time for an UPDATE!!
    I'm 33 weeks now, still running 4-5 days a week, lifting weights about 3x a week AND STILL chasing my almost 2 year old! Whhheeew! But I feel GREAT when I workout!

HOW ABOUT YOU LADIES!?!

UPDATE TIME!!

How far along are you?
    How are you feeling?

OMG you are my hero. Every time that I try running I throw up, almost at 2nd tri now so hopefully will feel better once I get there. Do you mind me asking how much you have gained this pregnancy? If so, tell me to shut it :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    After a miscarriage Christmas 2011, when the bleeding started after running, I've been taking things easy in the first trimester. I know it's not logical: there were 3 empty egg sacks that time, and at 8 weeks, this time, there was a baby with a heart beat :heart:, so no comparison really. Also, early on,exhaustion made me throw up, which I take as a hint from my body not to push it.

That's not to say I've not moved. I have to walk at least a couple of miles every day. I put my fitbit back on this week and I still manage around 10,000 steps most days. I want to add some strength and flexibility in now, and get back to some Zumba. I literally dream of running, but I'll wait for after the 12 week scan.

I'm enjoying this thread and glad to hear of so many active mummies :flowerforyou:
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am only six weeks, but still doing my regular routine. Lifting and running 3 days per week and yoga twice per week. I will slow down the running as needed, but that is mostly because I have a bad back and do not want to risk injury once I get bigger. I will also switch to prenatal yoga once my belly gets out there. The elliptical; and bike will replace running later, but for now I am enjoying it while it lasts!

I am 21 pounds lighter than I was when I got pregnant with my daughter and a LOT more fit. By week six with her I was EXHAUSTED, but so far I feel great this time (knock on wood). I had a scheduled C-section with her because of all the herniations in my low back (I allegedly need a fusion on two levels, but have avoided it for 12 years), but am considering going for a VBAC depending on how I feel as things progress. When I was pregnant with her my back went out completely for almost a month and I was in constant pain. Fingers crossed that getting to my goal weight and into shape will prevent that from happening this time. I am also hoping it will make a C section easier to reover from if I have to go that route.

It is great to see so many pregnant ladies staying in shape!! It really is good for the baby! Glad I know that this time!
  • acampbe2umd
    Options
    36 weeks (only 4 to go to my c-section)
    Lifting - 2-4 days per week depending on my exhaustion level
    cardio - 2-4 days per week (swimming, bike, elliptical, walking at inclines)
    Overall, I feel pretty good, but I'm slowing down considerably. Some days my workouts are awesome, others, I feel like I'm barely moving. My main problem is that because of our existing kids (5 & 2) and our work schedules, my gym slot is 4 am, so if I sleep poorly or suffer from insomnia (tend to do this every night, it's just nice when it happens at 3 a.m. so I can get to the gym), I am not always getting up. Eating is has been the best this pregnancy of all my pregnancies and that is clearly showing on the scale.

I was just thinking this morning as I was lifting how sad it's going to be to take off 6 weeks after my c-section if I'm able to keep up the lfiting for these next 4 weeks. Last time, I was walking a ton (3-4 miles per day within a few weeks of delivery) and was itching to start lifting, but I was very cautious post c to not screw up my abs. My OB sewed them back together, so I wasn't able to return to ab work until closer to 14/15 weeks pp. She'll be doing that this time around as well.