Hungry the day after workout

Options
mcbellnz
mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
Hi there

Has anyone found that they are hungrier the day after their workout? I am only in my second week (did Stage 1 Workout B2 yesterday).

I lift after work, and I made sure I ate a larger dinner last night, but like last week, I am finding myself hungrier than usual (during the day) the following day - it is 11:51am and my tummy is grumbling for lunch! I have been having a protein shake about 1-1.5 hours before my workout to up my protein and calories.

Just wondering if I should think about eating more on my non-lifting days, compared to my lifting days (I am too worn out to feel extra hungry after a workout - at this early stage anyway) - or it might be that I am just not eating enough on any day (workout or non-workout) so I am feeling extra hungry on non-workout days due to an overall deficit, while on my workout days the effort curbs my appetite?

I am not sure if that made any real sense, I shall re-read it. Ok, it makes sense to me, but that might just be because I wrote it.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had a similar experience or any advice to offer.
Cheers!
M

Replies

• rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I usually workout in the mornings, I am starving all day!!!!
    I am working out tonight, so I may be hungry tomorrow instead of tonight. I'll let you know
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    How did you calculate your daily calories? From the book? I believe I remember the first 4 weeks he recommends eating at TDEE to give your body time to adjust. Maybe you aren't fueling your body enough.

I typically work out in the mornings or around lunchtime so it's no problem to have the additional calories that day. Since you work out so late at night maybe it would be better for you to consume your exercise calories the next day.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    DH and I usually lift in the evenings, so I'm always hungrier the next day. I don't think it's a big deal to eat your extra calories the following day instead. Listen to your body. You might have to adjust your calories if you're continuing to be really hungry. And make sure you're getting lots of protein!
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    Thanks for your replies!

I am not really eating to a calorie goal at the moment, so in general I could well be not really eating enough - I am still trying to figure out what works for me.

Glad to see that people think it is fine to eat the calories the next day (when I am hungry), this is my plan (to have larger portions the next day, but still stick to whole foods for the main part).

Workout B3 today (Stage one) reps go down, weights will go up (hopefully). Will have a slightly bigger lunch and dinner that usual tomorrow.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I also find I am hungrier the day after lifting than the day of. I just eat a little less when I feel like it and a little more the next day, it all equals out for me.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Yep, the day after is usually my "hungry" day.
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    Sweet - glad I am not just a weirdo!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Same here...usually ravenous the next day and not so much on the lifting day. I will eat more though then to not go hunrgy...my body must need it..
  • jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Options
    Me too! Today I had to work late so I took a packed lunch and a dinner to work. I ate them both by 12.30 and then had nothing left :(
  • jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Options
    Me too! Today I had to work late so I took a packed lunch and a dinner to work. I ate them both by 12.30 and then had nothing left :(
  • blacknivory
    blacknivory Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The nutrition part of exercise has mucked me up in the past i.e. not getting enough of the right nutrients. I'm on week 2 as well and this time I'm following the NROLW pretty carefully. I'm measuring my calories but particularly focusing on keeping my protein up. The caseine shake before bed is really good because your body is being fed while it sleeps. I find if I get too hungry it's easy to fill up on junk.
    I also make sure I eat back the calories I've exercised so I'm not depriving my body of what it needs. When I see I've got extra calories left (a nice place to be in) and I've had enough protein I'll go for some good carbohydrate.