Week 4, day 1 about killed me

Options
Holy crap! Going from running a total of 9 minutes a session in week 3 to 16 minutes a session in week 4 was a rude awakening. I am actually proud of myself for completing my session this morning, even though I had to back off on my pace to complete it.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Go slow to go fast! It was week three that kicked my butt.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You did great! Slowing the pace is the best way to manage the longer jogging times. You'll pick up the speed again quickly.

Congratulations!!
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Awesome job completing it! That's the run I am doing tomorrow...not gonna lie...this one has me intimidated! I know I could do 5 minutes straight (I did 4 min on a walk today and I could have done another minute) but the idea of the 16 minutes total is what really has me worried! And the rest time between runs is less too, gah!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I just got done with W4D1 yesterday...and to be honest....the thoughts that got me threw was..."3 weeks ago I was only doing a minute and a half, now I am doing 5 and still good." It is scary...I was worried. But once I started doing it I was good.
  • successleadstosuccess
    Options
    I'm with you on that one. I tried it yesterday and had to stop halfway so I wouldn't throw up! It was so hard. I'm doing week 3 for another week. Great job completing it!!! :)
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    We are on the same track, I also did W4D1 today! Looking into next week does not look like fun! I am so not a runner so I am determined to finish this thing!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    SuccessLeadsToSuccess - it sounds like you're going to fast. Try running about as fast as you're walking. You'll get faster later without really working at it. Right now you're just trying to build endurance and those runner's muscles.

WAHMto5 - Week 5 is scary until you get through it. The program is great at building you up so that you're capable of so much more than you realize. That's the whole point of Week 5: to break through that mental wall and prove that you can finish the second half of the program.
  • WAHMto5
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. Hoping it goes well!
  • AliciaC81
    Options
    I definitely agree with vardaeml, it's all about finding the pace that you can work with! Not too slow, because then it makes my legs cramp up so badly, but not too fast, and you can just get in that zone and keep running, running, running! Of course I say all this before I go out later and do my week 4 LOL...but this is what I will be telling myself later!
  • fin_like_a_fish
    fin_like_a_fish Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just completed this today also, it nearly killed me but I did it! I was so scared to try W4, I was going to repeat W3 but I'm glad I pushed myself.

It's so encouraging to know others feel the same. When I see other runners zooming past me they make it look so easy, I can't imagine being like that but we'll get there eventually!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Good for you, Fin! It was Week three that kicked my butt and I was telling myself that I could repeat the program if I had to and that it didn't matter that I was slow and all the positive self-talk I could muster. Now I'm in week 8.

You CAN do it. You ARE doing it. Just go as slow as you need to and you'll get better before you realize it.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Week 4, day 2 was MUCH easier. I am actually amazed how much better it went.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That's totally the way this goes. Good job for going back out there!
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    That's great!!!!
  • mdnic1
    Options
    Just completed day 2 of Week 4 and have never liked running, but the advice I'm following is to jog about as slow as you possibly can and walk at a moderate pace. I go about 4 mph and during the "run" and walk about 3 mph. So far that's been really do-able!
  • WAHMto5
    Options
    It is nice to see others that are on the same weeks. I also finished W4D2 today.
  • AliciaC81
    Options
    Oh I am so happy to hear that it went better for you, I'm hoping I have the same results when I go out for mine tomorrow!
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Oh I am so happy to hear that it went better for you, I'm hoping I have the same results when I go out for mine tomorrow!

I stayed on the pace I backed off to on day 1, and it was smooth as silk. You'll be fine.. Thanks to everyone else for the encouragement and advice as well.
  • WAHMto5
    Options

You will no problem!