High carb day and ketosis

Options
doneatfour
doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
Hello, I've been lurking for a while and I love reading the posts in this group. I was hoping you all could help me understand something. I have been watching my carbs since April, but didnt start tracking until June. So I only had a vague idea of how many carbs I was consuming. Now that I have been using my diary, I can track how many carbs I'm actually taking in. I aim for less than 30, but I am only moderately successful. I've been using ketostix the last couple of weeks and they've worked well for me.

My question is, how long does it take to get kicked out of ketosis after going over in carbs? I ask because it is close to my TOM and I had major cravings last night. Went over both calories and carbs. Netted 69. Then at breakfast I had pancakes :( 40 carbs in one meal. The thing is, I tested before breakfast and was in ketosis, then this afternoon and I was still in ketosis. Shouldn't I have been out of ketosis by then? Instead I didn't get out until after dinner when I had a small, small slice of apple pie. That took me to about 75 net for the day.

I'm just wondering because I'd like to determine how high I can go while staying in ketosis. It doesn't seem right to assume that my threshold is 70 carbs. I read that for a diet to be ketogenic, carbs had to be sub 50.

Sorry this is so long! Thank you for your help.

Replies

• volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be of more help but I have never used the keto strips and have no idea how well they work etc. I know alot of people have said they're unreliable...as far as ketosis goes... I also heard that it was 50 g total carbs that you stay in ketosis... For me I aim around 50 total carbs and 20-30 net carbs...I also don't beat myself up if I go over... For me This is a lifestyle not a diet so I go with the current...please dont be mad at yourswlf fir goig over one day... Its just a day..my diary is always open and feel free to add me :) hopefully someone can answer your question about ketosis
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone's thresh hold for staying in ketosis is different - you may be one of the lucky ones that has a higher one! :) But I'm a newbie, so I could be wrong?
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    " question is, how long does it take to get kicked out of ketosis after going over in carbs? "

Almost instantly, but there will still be ketones in your blood and urine for a while. Ketones occur whenever you metabolize fat. All the time, low carb or not. It may take some hours for them to flush out or be consumed but given carbs your body will immediately begin replacing glycogen stores that you depleted to get onto ketosis.
  • doneatfour
    Options
    I wish I could be of more help but I have never used the keto strips and have no idea how well they work etc. I know alot of people have said they're unreliable...as far as ketosis goes... I also heard that it was 50 g total carbs that you stay in ketosis... For me I aim around 50 total carbs and 20-30 net carbs...I also don't beat myself up if I go over... For me This is a lifestyle not a diet so I go with the current...please dont be mad at yourswlf fir goig over one day... Its just a day..my diary is always open and feel free to add me :) hopefully someone can answer your question about ketosis

Not mad really. I'd go crazy if I did every time! Just tring to figure out my threshold because I have company coming for a couple of weeks and I want to maintain for a while. Don't really want to stay at induction level during that time, but I don't want to gain weight either. It took a lot of hard work to get these 18lbs off! Thank you for the encouragement!
  • doneatfour
    Options
    I believe everyone's thresh hold for staying in ketosis is different - you may be one of the lucky ones that has a higher one! :) But I'm a newbie, so I could be wrong?

:) That would be nice. I lost pretty steadily at 50-70 total carbs (didn't start tracking net until I started using my diary). I'm thinking maintenance level for me would be around 120-150? Anyway, I love low carb living. I used to always bloat up after eating and was very uncomfortable. I looked and felt pregnant. Hope you enjoy the experience, too!
  • doneatfour
    Options
    " question is, how long does it take to get kicked out of ketosis after going over in carbs? "

Almost instantly, but there will still be ketones in your blood and urine for a while. Ketones occur whenever you metabolize fat. All the time, low carb or not. It may take some hours for them to flush out or be consumed but given carbs your body will immediately begin replacing glycogen stores that you depleted to get onto ketosis.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you! I forgot I was only testing the presence of ketones rather than ketosis itself.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Someone in another post said being in Ketosis is like being pregnant you either are/arn't. That was very helpful for me :)

I been in ketosis for a little over two months now and have noticed a pattern of showing up negative in the mornings and positive later in the day. I dont know exactly the whys but the keto sticks imo are just a tool but not something I rely on much. I have pushed my carbs up to 30-35 in the last couple of weeks and have remained in ketosis, husband has gone up wards of 80ish and remained in ketosis :) So i guess it depends on the person etc.

As far as the question I am not really exactly sure :( I havent broken ketosis so Im not exactly 100% sure.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    have noticed a pattern of showing up negative in the mornings and positive later in the day.

I do this too, so glad I found this post as it seems most people get it the other way round. :-)