Favourite Diet Foods?

Options

Replies

• angelacooper3
    angelacooper3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Since cheese is getting lots of mentions I thought Id add my two peneth. I always keep a block of fresh parmesan in the fridge and avoid buying cheddar. A tiny bit of parmesan goes a long way to liven up an omlette, pasta sauce or whatever else you fancy giving a cheesy kick. You will use far less than Cheddar as it is so strongly flavoured and the end result is less calories. Im not a fan of foods made specifically for the diet market
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    At the moment it's cottage cheese mixed with some jam or a tsp of options belgian chocolate for a chocolatey dessert.
    It's also great that it really helps to bump up my protein!

It's also nice with some stewed apple, something I discovered years ago!
  • TaniaB_79
    TaniaB_79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Since cheese is getting lots of mentions I thought Id add my two peneth. I always keep a block of fresh parmesan in the fridge and avoid buying cheddar. A tiny bit of parmesan goes a long way to liven up an omlette, pasta sauce or whatever else you fancy giving a cheesy kick. You will use far less than Cheddar as it is so strongly flavoured and the end result is less calories. Im not a fan of foods made specifically for the diet market

Like you I'm not a big fan of diet foods, I'm still cooking all the same things but weighing out my portions to keep control of the calories, although I have switched to reduced fat creme fraiche instead of cream. Will probably also have a veggie risotto once a week or so although I do love my meat!!
  • bubblegumbodw
    Options
    I love cous cous. I can happily eat it plain, but often use a veggie stock cube and mix in a load of cooked frozen veggies. Ideal for work.
  • angelacooper3
    Options

Like you I'm not a big fan of diet foods, I'm still cooking all the same things but weighing out my portions to keep control of the calories, although I have switched to reduced fat creme fraiche instead of cream. Will probably also have a veggie risotto once a week or so although I do love my meat!!

I love my meat too. What tends to work for me is upping my veggies, reducing my carbs and staying away from bread completely. I am eating a few reduced meat and meat free meals too using quorn instead of mince from time to time. I lost 2.5 stone on Atkins some years ago and have kept a stone and a half of that off for a good 8 years but am restricted to eating veggie at work so Atkins would be too harsh a regime for me now. I have a friend that swears by low low cheese spread for making creamy pasta sauce. She has lost 5.5 stone in the last 6 months on Slimming World.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Boiled egg whites, mattesons turkey rashers, broccoli , garlic purée .... Laughing cow extra light triangles (20cals), butternut squash (make into wedges and roast)
  • dididede
    dididede Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Snack a jacks for me, couldn't live without them (well I could but would end of scoffing a load of toast instead????)

It just seems to help stop me overeating if I'm still feeling a bit peckish after dinner to know that I've still got supper to look forward to in a couple of hours - 2 rice cakes lots of cherry tomatoes and a slice of cold meat. Or a packet of the crisp style ones and a mug of homemade soup. ????That's another of mine come to think of it - delicious home made soup, I must have at least a cup per day but usually 2 or 3. Much healthier than a cup a soup and more filling too.????
  • mitch356356
    Options
    Asda crisp breads for me! With my soup for lunch instead of bread.
  • rainghirl
    Options
    M&S spicy lentil curls were great, as I easily get stuck for something quick on the move and head for the crisp section. Also Alpen light bars. I also went through a lot of bananas, not officially a diet food, but they are just very portable and easy to eat when you're travelling a lot.
  • rainghirl
    Options
    I forgot - Flora Light, that has been an absolute staple and allowed me to make low calorie home made bread in my breadmaker, keep mashed potato calories low, it's also been on special offer in a few places which was really good.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster about Parmesan. I keep strong hard cheese in the freezer. So I can't eat it when I am in a snack mood but it grates into cooking and melts really quickly.
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine is quinoa. I dont eat bread or spuds so really enjoy this. I also enjoy low calorie or the lower calorie Ainsley cuppa soups which I use as sauces on various things by simply restricting the water used
  • EmmaR25
    EmmaR25 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    M&S spicy lentil curls were great, as I easily get stuck for something quick on the move and head for the crisp section. Also Alpen light bars. I also went through a lot of bananas, not officially a diet food, but they are just very portable and easy to eat when you're travelling a lot.

I love those lentil curls!

I don't really have diet food, just everything in moderation! Babybels are always handy to have
  • angelacooper3
    Options
    I like to eat plenty of flavourful food but find the ready made sauces too calorific and full of sugar to justify using when I can be eating "real" food. Thai 7 spice, jerk seasoning, fajita spice, smoked paprika and cajun spice really ring the changes quickly and easily. Schwartz do some great ones but there are some far cheaper alternatives
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I make up big batches of Tarka Dahl (kind of thick spiced lentily soup) and take it to work with me. So tasty and warming in the winter without being too heavy on the calories. Yum!
  • alyseleri
    Options
    Yes Fage is lovely but did you know about straining yoghurt yourself? you can get yoghurt as nice as fage even better some times! i buy plain low fat yoghurt (i have bought smart price yoghurt and had great results). then i line a sieve with 2-3 sheets of strong kitchen towel or cheesecloth if you have it.. pop the sieve on top of a bowl (make sure the sieve is not touching the bottom of the bowl) and spoon the yoghurt into the sieve. stick it in the fridge overnight and in the morning you have gorgeous thick creamy yoghurt! you can actually sqeeze out more liquid if you wish but not necessary. give it a try! fage is abot £3.00 this works out as low as 65p:-)
  • vixmonsta
    vixmonsta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Quorn anything and everything (I am a vegetarian)
    eggs
    skimmed milk
    porridge

Vix
  • DefConJen
    Options
    Pink & Whites and Jammy Pink & Whites.
    They are 2 wafers sandwiched around marshmallow, at 50 cals each (jammy a little bit higher), they satisfy my sweet cravings without breaking the calories bank!
  • CraigAtter
    Options
    I love Fage 0% Total fat free greek yogurt its awesome
  • Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My latest favourite treat is a slice of garlic light ciabbata, 1 sundried tomato (drained of oil) and a light cheese slice, optional Italian herbs or UMAMI seasoning. It grills in 4 mins, tastes yummy and is a warming winter lunch or supper.