The results are in..

Options
So ladies, I am officially morbidly obese with the best cholesterol levels in town! Take that people who think being fat is unhealthy... LOL.. Seriously though, many of my MWOP/MFP friends commented on my announcement about going to the doctor so the good news: Blood pressure: Good. Cholesterol, LDL and HDL: Good. Blood sugar: Just a bit high at 111 but he thinks that is because of the graveyard shift I work and having my blood drawn not in a complete fast.

We did discuss my whole weight loss issues.. Working out, eating calories MFP says to and the scale not moving. SO... the plan is to take the calories down to 1200 (I know, I know, the red flags will be out from MFP)... but I am 245 pounds on a 5 foot frame (imagine a weebles wobble but they don't fall down) ..... :wink: He said to try replacing one meal with a protein shake (two if I really wanted to press it.. which I don't) and eat at 1200 calories... He said he wanted me to take it easy on the exercising and not try too much too fast... I sit for up to 12 hours a day typing and am deconditioned bad! So that is the new plan ladies.. Whether or not I can get the scale to move will be a nailbitter... I will let you all know... I logged my food in today and with a gentle walk I was at 1199! (How is that for coming close to 1200)... This may work, it may not.. If I am hungry I will eat healthy foods and TRY to not allow my car into McDonald's drive thru lane ... Thanks for everyone giving me encouragement on the appointment today. I have the best of both worlds.. Great friends at MWOP and MFP! Who could ask for more than that!!

much love,
cindy aka MOM7

Replies

• SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm also only 5' tall, and I was eating around 1800 at 245. I did have to go below MFP recommendations when I was around 220. Now I'm 198, and I try to do around 1400. It's a struggle.

One thing that helps is increased exercise. I know your dr. said "go easy", but if you have a sedentary job, it's going to take a while to get your metabolism going, and exercise is the key. My body has changed a lot without dropping pounds in the last month, as evidenced by how my swim suit fits. Even though I'm on my feet all the time, I don't really get my heart rate up often at work. Well, only when something nasty comes into the ER like a chainsaw to the face, lol. On my breaks I try to get some walking in on the treadmill so I don't have to sit on the treadmill as long at home.

So...moral of the story...your own mileage will vary. Plan for success:

1. Try pre-logging the night before.
    2. Keep emergency food with you--either in your purse or car. A protein bar, a few crackers...something for when you are surrounded by bad choices.
    3. Lots of water, lots of veggies, lots of protein. Those three things will help keep you full.

I know you're probably doing that already, but it's a good reminder when you lower your calories.

Good luck, and keep up the good work. You're right, don't mention the lowered calories on the regular message boards.
  • mc100in365
    Options
    Being generally healthy is great news! You can do it! You're a working mom of 7, you're already a super hero!

You can work yourself up gradually with exercise, just don't forget to keep moving! It can be hard on your joints to just jump into it when you're sedentary most of the time. Do you have access to a treadmill or other exercise machine that you can set the speed on? That seemed to be the easiest way for me. I started walking at 2 m.p.h. and promised to stay on it for 25 minutes. When I could do that easily I set the speed to 2.1 m.p.h. and just kept graduating as it got easier to do and always reminding myself that it will only be 25 minutes. Eventually my body got so used to it that I got antsy if I was near the end of the day and hadn't exercised. It wanted to burn off that energy! My brain told it that it was nuts but did it anyway. lol

I had the same results with my doctor visit not long ago. He was trying to prove to me how unhealthy being so big was and failed miserably. lol He asked me to go on the hospital's new monitored weight loss program with nothing but $hakes 6 days a week and weekly check-ups. I don't have the time for that and it sounded like torture, so I refused and decided to try this on my own. I'm taking in between 1200 and 1400 calories a day.

Sunny had great tips! I do the pre-logging almost every day. I write it all down first thing in the morning and try to leave myself one snack's worth of wiggle room in case I get a little extra hungry.

I've also found that it really helps to have one day a week that I just don't pay attention to the calories. I have a few friends that noticed the same. I eat what sounds good, including the usual "no-no's" (McDonald's with a fully leaded coke ::ahem::) and just write it all down at the end of the day without shame. It keeps me from feeling deprived and seems to keep my weight loss going. I come to a stand-still more often without that one day a week.

Good luck!
  • typingathome
    typingathome Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks ... To have your support means so much.. Yes, I am going to keep moving and try to keep it closer to 1200 but if I am hungry I am going to eat. I will make sure it is a healthy choice but I can't go wrong as long as I am including some exercise and not going on a McDonald's eating frenzy!

Ok..ladies.. not sure about you, but I am ready for some cruise pics ! :noway: