how long before I can drink alcohol?

Options
How long after surgery before I can drink alcohol? :drinker:

Replies

• operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was told to avoid alcohol. I am six months out and tried a glass of wine a few weeks ago. Didn't feel anything, but I am probably going to refrain with an exception for something special.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I was no alcohol after WLS. I did have a margarita on New Years Eve it was made pretty light though I sipped on it the entire evening. That is the only alcohol I have had since my sleeve surgery 6/11/12.
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    "Alcohol is basically a type of sugar and it slows down a patient’s weight loss and may cause dumping syndrome. It contains lots of calories and is not nutritional. After surgery, alcohol enters the blood stream more quickly than before surgery. The intoxicating effects of alcohol occur sooner than before surgery and after smaller amounts are ingested. A patient who has had gastric bypass surgery absorbs FOUR times as much alcohol from a given drink versus before surgery. It is best to avoid drinking alcohol for at least six months after surgery, since it can be irritating to the stomach pouch and cause ulcers. You may choose to drink alcohol after the six month mark, but only do so on special, rare occasions, and NEVER drive within 24 hours of having an alcoholic beverage."

I found this doing a google search, my doctor suggested at least 6 months before any caffeine or alcohol.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Is this not something your surgeons office has reviewed with you? My NUT and surgeon both brought it up. I don't drink so for me it is a non issue....oh by the way most surgeons will not even consider doing the surgery if you are currently drinking. Not sure if you have had a procedure yet or not or are just considering.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was told never again - I had to give it up before the surgery when I started the whole process. It's one of those things that for me personally, it's well worth never having alcohol again if it means I have my health back.
  • jamers1949
    Options
    That was a well thought out post and very factual and to the point . There are a lot of ways to sabotage your surgery results and I believe that alcohol is at the top of the list.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    personally i would REALLY stay away from it i don't drink anymore yay... :drinker:

i have a bag of sugar if you want it for free! same thing without the headache after!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I waited until I was about 6 months out. I will occasionally have a glass of wine, but thats about it
  • dolphintattoo
    dolphintattoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My Lapband surgeon and nutrionist suggest waiting 4-6 months before drinking wine but then only to avoid because of the calories, carbonated beverages such as beer can be consumed by those who tolerate them (some do, some don't) such as beer, but again it's the calories so they are fine for a special occassion but shouldn't be part of your every day diet.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If I am being entirely honest, I will tell you I have had alcohol on 3 occasions since my surgery in December, making me 3 months out. I didn't die, nothing bad happened... I don't recommend going against doctor's orders, but I am going to be a 22 year old woman who didnt get to be 21 because I was pregnant (yes, my own life choices, I know) but I feel that if you drink in moderation, under supervision, and choose drinks that are low in sugar then you will be okay as long as it is only occasionally.

I refrain from drinking wine except maybe one glass I filled with ice and babysat over new years. When I drink otherwise I stick to vodka and sugar free cranberry or orange juice... no more colorful, fruity bar drinks, no more shots, no more whole bottles of wine, and let me say, being Sicilian, thats hard. I won't jump on here and tell you its okay to drink, I am just saying if you are responsible about it and something bad happens, just own up accept it was your own fault and move on.
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    Thanks everybody. Just wanted something besides the surgeons & NUT opinions. I'll pass on that bag of sugar, thanks. :tongue:
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me 1 year.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 18 months ago and have probably consumed 3 glasses of white wine since then. I just don't like to think about the 120+ calories that I am pouring through my band. There are a lot of protein choices I could have for that 120+ calories. Also, it doesn't take much anymore to make me loopy.