Butter

Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
Does anyone make their own butter? We have a local creamery that I have always been pleased with (grass fed cows as well.) I have thought of making my own butter. I'm not sure though if it will be cost effective. Kerrigold is 2.99 a bar, the cream is 9.99 (1/2 gallon). How much butter do you get from the cream?

Replies

• shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    i have made my own butter, it is not cheaper but it fun and tastes so darn good!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    So the favor is better then? hmm sounds like a good project for a snowy weekend.
  • I am making my own today and looking forward to it.Hopefully it will taste better and here it's cheaper to make my own then buy it in the shop.Butter is super expensive in Newfoundland!
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    I am making my own today and looking forward to it.Hopefully it will taste better and here it's cheaper to make my own then buy it in the shop.Butter is super expensive in Newfoundland!

Please post your butter recipe.
  • All I did was whip my cream until it separated from the buttermilk.I used a hand blender.
    Once all the solids came away,the butter needs to be put in ice water(or very cold water)and u need to squeeze out any of the buttermilk with your hands(unpleasant as it's super cold).The water should be clear.If it's not and there is buttermilk leftover,the butter with spoil.
    If you want unsalted it will only last a few days but if you add salt this will preserve the butter for 2-3 weeks.
    I added my salt after I got rid of the buttermilk.I added it and then whipped it again.It's lovely.Nice and salty and creamy,far nicer than the butter in the shops.
  • I would try it once and compare. I'd love to try making my own butter, but no access to raw milk/cream or fresh grass-fed anything around here. You're lucky!