ITT: I aware you on the Protonz from a Cow's soul.

Options
Back Story: I went in with a few friends to buy and entire grass-fed cow. I ended up with 80 pounds of grass-fed beef for $200. I don't really enjoy liver and other organ meat, but I did opt to take the heart. Today I will share with you the awesomeness of Beef Heart and how to prepare it.

Beef Heart eww: Many of you may not like organ meat. I totally understand, but if you get the chance I suggest you give beef heart a try. It is not like other organ meat. Since the heart is a muscle it is much more like other muscles (steaks) and although tough if cooked right it can be great. It is a good source of Protein (20g/4oz), Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Iron and Selenium. Also it can be purchased for much cheaper than other steaks!

Preparation: My beef heart came prepped from the slaughterhouse, but if yours didn't it will probably look like the following picture. If yours looks like this you may want to trim the fat off of the outside as well as cutting it open and removing the arteries. there are video's on YouTube with more in-depth instructions, but it is pretty self explanatory.

Heart.jpg

Cooking:
You can cook it several ways. beef heart can be grilled, slow cooked (crock pot), or braised. I used a crock pot. After prepping the beef heart... First, I cut up my carrots, celery and onion and sauteed then in pan with some olive oil. After this, I mixed 1 tsp of better than bullion in a cup of boiling water. I dumped the beef heart, the veggies, the better than bullion, and 4oz of red wine into the crock pot. Season to taste (I used thyme and peppercorns). Set it on low and and let it cook for approx 8 hours. While cooking it lets off a great aroma and it will come out nice and tender.

kAYtUX8.jpg

Macros: Here you can see the Macro's for just the heart and for the whole dish/meal I prepared.

Cals/Carbs/Fat/Protein/Fiber
atfot8S.jpg

Finished Product: Mmmm......

e6JVRtq.jpg

Isbcn8M.jpg

Cliffs:
-Bought grassfed cow for cheap
-Found out heart is super lean and not like other organs
-Cooked heart
-Ate heart
-Made all kindz of gainz
-U MIRIN?