I Always Though I Can't Lose Weight

Options
LaNetsah
LaNetsah Posts: 35 Member
Hello everyone!
Just wanted to share a little bit about my experience being overweight and Hypothyroid. And hoping you can share your experiences too about trying to lose weight being Hypo or Hyper.

I always thought I can't lose weight because I have Hypothyroidism since I was 13 years old. It was one of my biggest excuses... I mean, I would still try to lose weight, but I did it half-*kitten* every time because I got it into my head that it's nearly impossible... that I'd have to work 10 times as hard as a person with a healthy thyroid glad, and even then it would take me years and years to lose the weight.
Now, I am so happy to say that I think nothing of the sort anymore! I know it can be done, and through giving my 100% at eating healthy and exercising, I've learned I can actually lose weight quite easily when I educate myself on doing it the healthy way. I don't use my metabolism as an excuse anymore and I just do it, focusing on being healthier and happier!

Would love to hear from you guys, if anyone else had a similar experience using their Hyper or Hypo as an excuse to not being able to lose or gain the weight they wanted. How was it for you?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of difficulty controlling my weight over the last few years, but that's no excuse for a person to not take care of themselves.

I think just the practice of paying attention to what you eat and how it makes you feel is really important. I am glad that I decided to learn about nutrition and keep exercising even if the weight didn't budge at first, because it made me healthier overall... and now that I'm feeling better, losing weight is much easier than it used to be.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm struggling. What have you been doing that's made a difference?
  • LaNetsah
    LaNetsah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It sounds a bit cheesy, but I just changed the way I see it and the way I think about Hypothyroidism.
    It really made a big difference physically when I stopped seeing it as an obstacle and an excuse and started seeing it as a small challenge that can easily be overcome... My thyroid has been so balanced since!
    Most days I even forget I have Hypo and just take my Thyroxine in the morning like a robot and forget about it the rest of the day.. it's just not in my way anymore and I just learned that I can lose weight like any other person.
  • ONA79
    ONA79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My mother suspected I had hypothyroidism when I was in high school. She and I went on a diet together one summer, ate the same food, went walking together every morning for a few miles, etc. She lost 25lbs and I lost 3. Doctor just told her my levels were within the normal range and she didn't push to get the exact amount. From 19-28 I did every diet imaginable. Met with nutritionists, etc and I would lose 5-10lbs and then gain it back the second I ate 1400 calories instead of 1100. When my first kid was a year old I weighed more than the day she was born. My Dr ran a cholesterol test and my triglycerides were through the roof- she ran a TSH test and diagnosed me hypo. Started medication and dropped 30lbs in 2 months without changing any other aspect of my life. That was 4 years ago. I am steady for about 6 months and lose 10-15lbs, then I get sluggish and weight goes up- get a blood draw and increase dosage. I am still learning to be more proactive with my Dr's that a TSH of 2.5 is very different than 1.5 or 1 for me. Focusing on eating healthy and getting to the gym even during the periods of medication adjustments.