Lifting Belt

Options
I put this on my newsfeed to see if anyone on my FL could answer, but no one got back to me:

Attn: Powerlifters - At what point should I consider using a belt during my lifts? I have been training without one, but they are allowed under USAPL rules.

When is it recommended? What % of 1RM do you use the belt with? Am I ready for one? etc.

I have finished up 13 or 14 Weeks of SL 5x5, started 5/3/1...dealing with an SI issue - apparently caused by minor scoliosis. As soon as I get cleared to lift again by the Chiro, I am going to go back to SL 3x5 for a while.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too. Bump!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I decided to get one when it was obvious that my squats were being held back by not using one.

I only use it on my heavy sets (usually just the last set). So, broadly, I use it for about 90% + of my 1RM. I only use it currently for deads and squats and need to start using it for OHP but have not as yet. It affects my form for bench as it is still really stiff so I think I need to wait for it to be worn in a bit before using it for bench.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'm not using one but I'll be doing what Sara does for squats.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

As you know, since your on my newsfeed - my squats have been lagging behind all my other lifts. I should be able to do much more than what I am doing and wonder if a belt would help. Maybe I will have to look into one.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

As you know, since your on my newsfeed - my squats have been lagging behind all my other lifts. I should be able to do much more than what I am doing and wonder if a belt would help. Maybe I will have to look into one.

I would first look very closely (or have someone else do it) at technique. This isn't to say that belts are good or bad (it's a tool), but I'd check technique first.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Introducing a belt really took my training to the next level. I don't have a hard and fast rule, but I generally use it for the last (heaviest) 1 or 2 sets. At the beginning I used it for every set for a few weeks, to help the break-in procedure. But you can also find pre-broken-in belts.

If you don't have appropriate shoes, I would get those first (even if it's just chucks). Belt next.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I would first look very closely (or have someone else do it) at technique. This isn't to say that belts are good or bad (it's a tool), but I'd check technique first.

^^agreed. I worked on form and on core strength for quite a while before 'succumbing' to getting a belt.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options

If you don't have appropriate shoes, I would get those first (even if it's just chucks). Belt next.

Can you explain the shoes? Why do I need different shoes for squatting? Why chucks? Which I would feel weird wearing at the gym to be honest.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Can you explain the shoes? Why do I need different shoes for squatting? Why chucks? Which I would feel weird wearing at the gym to be honest.

You should lift with completely flat shoes - no heel at all otherwise it throws your alignment off. So..no tennies.
  • taso42
    Options

You should lift with completely flat shoes - no heel at all otherwise it throws your alignment off. So..no tennies.

A slight heel actually helps with squats and Oly lifts. Completely flat is better for deadlift. The key is non-compressible heel - that's why tennis shoes / running shoes are out. Chucks have a virtually non-compressible sole and are ubiquitous and inexpensive, so they've become a de facto standard lifting shoe. Purpose made lifting shoes are often made with a wooden heel which doesn't compress.

Here's a good middle-of-the-road purpose made lifting shoe http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-weightlifting-shoes.php
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So all the work I do with squats in saucony's is lost?
  • taso42
    Options
    So all the work I do with squats in saucony's is lost?

no the work is not lost, but you are sacrificing stability and power xfer to the floor
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

A slight heel actually helps with squats and Oly lifts. Completely flat is better for deadlift. The key is non-compressible heel - that's why tennis shoes / running shoes are out. Chucks have a virtually non-compressible sole and are ubiquitous and inexpensive, so they've become a de facto standard lifting shoe. Purpose made lifting shoes are often made with a wooden heel which doesn't compress.

Here's a good middle-of-the-road purpose made lifting shoe http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-weightlifting-shoes.php

Sorry, I was not clear - had deadlifts on my mind...which is odd, as I am squatting today!.

And I am disappointed the shoes only come in black - I am still looking for pink lifting shoes :wink:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Great thread Vette....great minds must think alike because I was just thinking of asking this myself today although with one additional question...

I have definitely heard mixed things on belts, some say they are great and necessary, some say completely not necessary.

I would also like to know at what point you would start using one (my squat is now 5x5 @ 130#, DL 1x5 @ 140# and it's now starting to get tough) and what the true purpose/benefit is? (I know the jist, but I'm looking for something that I can actually apply to this new lifting brain of mine!)

Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The belt is so your abs have something to push against.

In my mind, if your lift is failing due to technique issues, or muscle weakness in, for example, the legs for squats, a belt is not appropriate. If the legs are willing but you need that extra to catch your abs against (assuming form is solid) then its something to consider.
  • taso42
    Options
    @VegasBaby04: Open your Starting Strength book to the Squat chapter and flip through till you find his blurb on belts. :)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Sorry, I was not clear - had deadlifts on my mind...which is odd, as I am squatting today!.

And I am disappointed the shoes only come in black - I am still looking for pink lifting shoes :wink:

I have Ristos for Squats and Oly..... they come in pink or even custom colours (for a cool $220) :)
    http://www.ristosports.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=6b9d9bd0fab1cdc4256b3538948add81

OP I concur with Sara, I use a belt at 85%+1RM for squat and DL... I had trained a fair bit at higher volumes and a couple of months of low rep strength before I started wearing one....
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Cool....thanks for the feedback :)

I have had many people tell me to use one for "safety" purposes however it's sounding like that really isn't the proper application, which makes sense.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this comes to thread jacking, but the discussion is going on so....

I lift in my running shoes. I own a whopping two sets of athletic shoes - running and tennis (actual toe reinforced tennis shoes).

We have extremely thick carpet and pad. I use a 25lb plate for squats to mimic the incline of a lifting shoe, but still see myself falling backwards at times.

Thoughts? .
  • taso42
    Options
    I apologize if this comes to thread jacking, but the discussion is going on so....

I lift in my running shoes. I own a whopping two sets of athletic shoes - running and tennis (actual toe reinforced tennis shoes).

We have extremely thick carpet and pad. I use a 25lb plate for squats to mimic the incline of a lifting shoe, but still see myself falling backwards at times.

Thoughts? .

The falling backward thing tells me you're not leaning forward enough. Record yourself from the side. Watch the bar path. The bar ought to be centered over your foot the whole time. This means as you squat down, you will lean forward. Perhaps you are resisting the lean?

And ditch the running/tennis shoes. Go barefoot if you have to. :)