Almonds??

Options
Just recently read some where that if you have Hypothyroidism or Hashimotos you should stay away from Almonds?? Any one else here of this.

Your head starts to spin with all the yes you cans on no you cant's!!

Replies

• BeachDreamin83
    Options
    Oh dear...if this is true, I'm in trouble! I make homemade almond protein bars and eat them every morning. I'd really like to know if I should be avoiding almonds.
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds every day!!! :smile: I also use almond milk on my cereal in the morning. I recently read that skim milk has a lot of sugar in it.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Merrinoel
    Merrinoel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Interresting. I've had Hashimoto's for 20 yrs diagnosed. I had been eating about an entire pound of almonds/wk! They were a great protein-fiber source that I loved.

Last month I had a blood test for food sensitivities-intolerance. Number one food I need to stay away from: almonds!

So I'm gonna continue to keep them eliminated from my diet. I switched to pumpkin seeds--more protein too!
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Love almonds. Have hypothyroid. But almonds do not love me they are high in oxalate among a lot of other things like soy etc which can lead to kidney stones. I only eat them rarely. Darn it . . . love them.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of debate as to whether almonds are a goitrogen or not. Honestly? I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Besides, if you're on meds you want the meds to be adjusted to the lifestyle you want to live. Ex: I wait 1 hour after morning meds before I eat, but then I have coffee with delicious, delicious cream. :) Yup, supposed to wait 4 hours before having calcium, but my meds will adjust to my lifestyle.