Lifting Belt

Options
2»

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this comes to thread jacking, but the discussion is going on so....

I lift in my running shoes. I own a whopping two sets of athletic shoes - running and tennis (actual toe reinforced tennis shoes).

We have extremely thick carpet and pad. I use a 25lb plate for squats to mimic the incline of a lifting shoe, but still see myself falling backwards at times.

Thoughts? .

The falling backward thing tells me you're not leaning forward enough. Record yourself from the side. Watch the bar path. The bar ought to be centered over your foot the whole time. This means as you squat down, you will lean forward. Perhaps you are resisting the lean?

And ditch the running/tennis shoes. Go barefoot if you have to. :)

I'd also try widening your stance, sometimes if you're not wide enough and don't have great mobility you'll end up sitting back (like into a chair) rather than down into the squat (not sure if that makes sense).
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic group - I learn something here daily. Today I'll pick up some Chucks and leave the ASICS in the locker on lift days. Tonight I'll head into the garage and dig out the lifting belt that's been in a box for over a decade (I thought the new wisdom was that belts limit core strengthening.)

Thanks, team!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic group - I learn something here daily. Today I'll pick up some Chucks and leave the ASICS in the locker on lift days. Tonight I'll head into the garage and dig out the lifting belt that's been in a box for over a decade (I thought the new wisdom was that belts limit core strengthening.)

Thanks, team!

Make sure it is not one of those with the narrow front and wide back.

Good luck.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Thanks, team!

Make sure it is not one of those with the narrow front and wide back.

Good luck.

That's exactly what it is. :frown:
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @taso42 and @nataliaho - Thank you. I dread the idea of watching myself on video, but I'll give it a shot.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback.

So, I believe I should consider getting one sometime in the near future. With that being said - can you recommend a good (not breaking the bank) brand (USAPL Approved)?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So, I believe I should consider getting one sometime in the near future. With that being said - can you recommend a good (not breaking the bank) brand (USAPL Approved)?

I have this one: http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVER_LEVER_10MM

I think it's the same one taso has.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I have this one: http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVER_LEVER_10MM

I think it's the same one taso has.

Yeah, I have the same one (except mine isn't purple ;) ). Like it a lot. Other good options may be:
    http://www.bestbelts.net/ (I think these are pre-broken in)
    or http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=3495
    or inexpensive fabric/velcro belts available on amazon or sporting goods stores
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Thanks Sara and Taso.

If I am between sizes, what do you recommend?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sara and Taso.

good question. i feel like it's a little bit of a conspiracy that the sizes don't really overlap, at least for the Inzer brand. i ended up w/ a medium and i can potentially grow out of it some day. a large may have worked, but it would have had to go on the smallest setting and i was afraid of it being too loose during times of cutting.

measure yourself around where your navel is. take an honest and realistic assessment of whether you may grow or shrink from here, and see where that puts you. Inzer has pretty good phone support, where you can call them and talk through it. i would suggest erring toward the smaller size - i think it's better to wear the belt at or near the last hole rather than the first hole and having it overlap itself (if that made any sense?)

if you went with a "Best Belts", i think they might be made to order in your custom size, so they leave a few inches on either side to tighten or loosen.
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    ERMAGERD! There are so many color choices! I am really leaning towards the pink Inzer...

Thanks for the size help! If I measure at the belly button then I will have to size up - its my natural waist the is right between two sizes. I would like to lose more fat around the middle, but I am not sure if I will actually buck up and do that. I guess that answers my size question...lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks Sara and Taso.

I went for the larger size - I was in between also as I wanted to be able to use is while bulking. It actually has loads of holes so can be tightened a lot.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info here. I have not graduated to a needing a belt yet. I have been doing some core strength work and practicing my abdominal brace.

Try tightening your abdominal floor, abdominal brace, shoulder packing and doing the valsalva maneuver all at the same time and holding it for 5-10 seconds.