Excersise

Options
tanigrrrrr
tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
Okay, so another question guys. . .

EXCERSISE! who does what??

I get the distinct impression that alot of people arent very active whilst doing this eating plan - really though?

I tend to not be able to make the scales budge (whilst on low cal, unseen on keto) without hard workouts.

Replies

• GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't do "hard" workouts, but I do exercise. I do it to strengthen and grow muscles which then increase my metabolism even as my weight is reduced. Such exercise also reshapes the body in lovely ways. (I don't do cardio)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I strength (heavy weights) on a mon, hiit run on a tues, hiit circuts on wed, 5 k run on thurs , hiit circuits on fri and lift on sat, rest/ active rest long walk etc on a Sunday. I dont lose unless I do exercise plus I'm doing this to be healthy not just thin.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing anything super strenuous right now (still really out of shape so I'm taking baby steps). I try to go for at least a 30 minute (but usually ends up being longer) walk a day and I keep a little 5lb handweight set in the kitchen for whenever I go in there for something, so I'm lifting them/doing small arm exercises throughout the day.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My first 20# lost were with no exercise. I just added 2-3 days of the elliptical, that along with a couple other tweaks to my diet helped me break through. I've definitely heard of folks losing on keto without exercising; personally the more the scale moves, the more I want to too. I get excited that I can do a little more, push myself a little harder. I cannot wait for the warmer weather to get here so I can take it outside!
  • tanigrrrrr
    Options
    It is my week-a-versary on Keto today (yay) and I didnt excersise for the first week out of curiosity to see if keto was different.. as I said I got the distinct impression that people didnt excersise much - atleast for the first part of their keto experience.

So anyways i havent experienced the HUGE weightloss within the first week like alot of people say that they get - I havent felt super hungry at all so m calories have hovered between 1300 and 1500 depending. I have lost about .5 of a kilo (or a pound) which i would expect more even eating at 1500cal non keto.

So here we are at week 2 and im going to experiment and excersise this week.. thinking of starting 30 day shred and see how far this takes me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to me?
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    I've been on keto for about 7-8 months now and other then normal activity I didn't exercise until about a month ago and even that was just some cardio and due to being sick/busy with work I haven't done much the last few weeks. Any sort of exercise is a good thing and if you think it's stalling or slowing your weight loss just check your measurements.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    H.I.I.T. works the best when it comes to improving fitness on Keto along with weight training.

Here are a few sites I recommend for HIIT routines and Ideas....

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/lose-fat-fast-hiit-bodyweight-workout

http://zuzkalight.com/category/workout/ (This chick is awesome!)
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have no trouble feeling energized enough to I run three days per week and strength train another 3 days and rest on Sundays.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I work out almost daily, between 45 minutes to an hour. I either jog outdoors with some walking thrown in or I go to the gym and do weights, treadmill, elliptical, and sometimes rower.

A couple of times recently I bought a small package of cashews and ate them before I started my workout because I felt like I would benefit from the extra carbs. Otherwise I tend to keep my daily carbs around 30 and I'm always in ketosis.
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do 45 min to an hour of cardio daily as well as weightlifting 3-4 times a week. I also experimented and lost slightly more on keto diets without exercise. Ultimately, I decided losing weight and gaining muscle and improving cardiovascular capacity was equally important. I've also read that when doing keto alone, some of the weight loss is muscle loss and I really wanted to be stronger.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I do 30 Day Shred and 2.5 mile runs at least six times a week. Not always on the same day, not always on different days. It just depends on my mood. I keep my carbs to under 20 net, and watch my calories, and have seen 3-4lb weeks that way. It's not crazy fast like I've read in other experiences, but I feel stronger, healthier, and am about to run my first 5k next month which is something I never ever thought I could do.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit, usually 1-2 days per week. My best weeks were when I exercised less.

Is your fat content high enough? I find that is a huge driver for my weight loss. And drinking adequate water is another factor that can impact the weight loss.
  • tanigrrrrr
    Options
    my fat content is always around the 70% mark.

I usually wind up eating around 1500 calories, < 20 carbs

i try to drink around 3litres of water...

So confused....
  • dangerxbadger
    Options
    H.I.I.T. works the best when it comes to improving fitness on Keto along with weight training.

Here are a few sites I recommend for HIIT routines and Ideas....

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/lose-fat-fast-hiit-bodyweight-workout

http://zuzkalight.com/category/workout/ (This chick is awesome!)

YES I LOVE ZUZANA OMG
  • dangerxbadger
    Options
    I do crossfit, usually 1-2 days per week. My best weeks were when I exercised less.

Is your fat content high enough? I find that is a huge driver for my weight loss. And drinking adequate water is another factor that can impact the weight loss.

Weirdly enough, I lose more when I work out less as well, but I'm always afraid that I'm just losing muscle mass and not fat. I guess I'm the kind of person who wants to be athletic and if that means the scale moves slower, so be it. It's totally up to you, OP, with what you want to get out of the experience.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    On Keto, Drs. Volek and Phinney's book says, controversial as it may seem exercise does not help you lose weight. They have a whole chapter on why it may be good for you for other reasons but for weight loss it doesn't help and may hinder.

I do exercise, first because I like exercise. I do boot camp m/w/f; spin t/th; yoga when I can fit it in. But I'm not in this just to lose weight. I want to convert my fat into lean muscle and train my body to burn my fat stores first for fuel instead of quick carbs.

Still, I did lose 7 pounds on keto in the first two weeks and 3 inches off my waist.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    My current workout is Tony Horton's Power90 Bootcamp .... that is 3 days a week of cardio for 40 minutes, 3 days a week of strength training for 30 minutes and 3 days a week of Ab exercises (normally do those on cardio days). After Power90, I believe I'm moving on to P90X .... although I've been investigating kettlebell training lately too.

Now, personally I am looking at returning my body to "paleolithic" conditions .... that is, I want to eat the diet (as much as I can) that our primal ancestors ate and exercise in ways that resemble the primal physical regimen. From all the research, etc. that I've done I find that our primal ancestors had far fewer chronic health problems, they were much fitter and their brains functioned at a much higher level than ours. I'm not going to live in a cave without doctors, etc. I will keep the great parts of the 21st century ;-)

Gary Taubes and Drs. Volek and Phinney are in agreement. From a pure weight loss perspective, exercise is a bad idea. Taubes talks about it quite extensively in his work also. Highly recommend both sources for lots of good info on low carb, exercise, etc.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease in my lower back and osteoarthritis in my hips. Believe it or not, exercise actually makes the pain less. So, I walk on the treadmill 30-60 minutes a day, usually 4 to 7 days a week. I have DDP Yoga and a few other exercise videos I do as well as an exercise ball.

I move because it makes me feel better.