treadmill speed/incline ?

Options
cirka2002
cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
Quick questions for anyone doing c25k on the treadmill. (I'm trying to see if I am normal, LOL!!!)

What speed do you usually walk/run?
Do you use an incline? If so, what?

Thanks!!
Jennifer

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I walked about 2.5 and ran at about 3.6 in the beginning. No incline
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Im on W7D2 and I walk at 3.3 and run at 4.6. No incline.
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For the first five weeks I walked at 3.5 and jogged at 4.0. No incline.
    I'm at the end of week seven and jog between 4.0 and 4.5. Still no incline.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    For speed it is hard to compare to others since everyone has a different stride due to height, ect..

I am on the short end at 5'2, currently on week 5 and walk at 3.9 and jog at 4.3-4.4 at a 2 incline.
  • cirka2002
    Options
    OK, thanks everyone. I'm about average then.

I started the first 3 weeks at walking 3.7 and jog at 4.5 (I have long legs)
    This past week I had to go down so that I could do the whole 5 mins of jogging, walk at 3.5 and jog (3mins) at 4.5 and (5mins) at 4.
    no incline

It just feels so slow to me...especially when I see others running at 8's and higher!
    Jennifer
  • likitisplit
    Options
    There was this crazy man on the treadmill the last time I went to the gym. He was going way too fast: huffing and puffing and alternating leaning on the bars with slamming his feet so hard on the treadmill that it made the floor bounce. He kept it up for about 20 minutes. I mean, he seemed basically fit and might have been doing all that for a reason, but it looked stupid and made the newbies in the gym uncomfortable. Don't be that guy. :smile: :wink:
  • cirka2002
    Options
    LOL!! :laugh:
    I won't!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem thinking I was going way to slow. Even MFP has 4.5 as very, very brisk walk:( REALLY, I worked harder then that lol!
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Currently on wk 3 &I use a slight variation. first walk @ 3.0/run @ 5.2 second, second interval 3.2/5.0, 3rd interval 3.0/5.5, 4th interval 3.2/5.2, 5th interval 3.2/5.0 with a 3.0 cool down. It usually leaves me exhausted.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Until W5 D1 I ran at 5.5 - 5 range on treadmill at a slight incline as I read somewhere that its better for the knees.

Today will be W5 D2 with 8 min runs. I will do a 4.5 - 5 range. Build up the endurance first before thinking about the speed...

I am 5'2". Just started running.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have been running at 5.5 this whole time and was really bummed that I had to repeat W6D2 three times now. I thought I was running too slow so I didn't want to slow it down, I feel much better and tomorrow might actually slow it down to 4.5 - 5. Thanks for all this info.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill right now...and currently walk 3.5 and run 4.5 with no incline.

Once I get through the 9 weeks then I am going to introduce an incline slowly... only .5 at a time per week or so until I am up to 2 and can transition to outside. I know this sounds silly, but this is literally how slow I have to take it so my feet stay happy....if they get mad they are like:

"Running, ha, ha, ha, no running for you. There! Stress fracture in the heel...now what ya gonna do?" Really...they say that stuff too. It's really mean.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Week nine here, I walk at 3.5 and run at 5.5, 0 incline. Then a one or two minute 'sprint finish' at 7.5. I always thought I was pretty slow, to be honest.

I definitely huff and puff a lot, and do sometimes feel self-conscious, but then I figure that if you don't want to see people sweating and out of breath, don't go to a damn gym! I'm hoping I don't look quite as bad as the gent vardaeml saw though!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    rduhlir - your feet sound like bad kids. I'm glad you know what your body can tolerate and work with them.

Douglanglois - No. Huffing and puffing and sweating is what I do. That guy was crazy.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have read in several magazines that a incline of 1 mimicks the feel of running on the road-no incline "helps" a little bit. (I personally love the "help", but you know...). I currently jog at a .5 incline at 4.6 mph. My walking is 4mph. I'm trying to get my incline up to the 1 because I set this goal of running a 5k in July, and I want to make sure I'm ready for the difference between road vs treadmill.
  • matawna
    matawna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" - Currently 217lbs - I Walk at about 2.5/3.00 - I run between 4.00 and 5.00 usually... I am at W5D3 - Trying to get to the full 20 minute run and have made it to 16 minutes - There were a couple times I slowed it to 3.7 to give myself a break but still jogging to keep it going.

My treadmil doesn't go lower then a 1.5 incline.
  • LosingMandy
    LosingMandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, this has been really helpful. I'm just about to start week three and I was a little self concious about how slow I was going. But listening to everyone I've been doing alright. :).

Im an aussie so my treadmill is in kms, so ill convert, I walk at 5k (3.1) and I run at 8k (4.9) sometimes I will run at 3.7 in my last walk and cool down to keep my heart rate up.

I don't use an incline, but I do want to bring in an incline as I'm training for a 5km run (colour run) on 19 may. Which is obviously outdoors.

Also I'm 5ft4. :)
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I ran outside until I was 3/4 through C25k and snow forced me off the sidewalks. I finished C25k the last weekend of December and am currently on W5D1 of 5k to 10k.

I use an incline of 1 to mimic being outside. My warm up / cool down walk is at 4.0. My jog and steady run are about the same 5.5. My tempo run is 6.0 (a hard but controlled pace. Still slightly conversational.) My hard run (give it all you've got, not able to be conversational.) is 6.6.
  • cirka2002
    Options
    Lots of great info everyone. Thanks so much for sharing! :0)

It's going to be a nice day here today, so I think I will try my week4/day3 outside and make my 10 year old daughter do it with me. Let's see how that works! LOL!! She's the one who got me doing c25K because she wants to do some 5K's this spring.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I haven't been changing pace for running. I'm going slowly (2.5) so that I can continue to add the endurance part. When I just walk, I usually do 3.0. Should I increase my speed during the run portions?