Night Time Eating...

Options
Hi all! Well I have a question..how do you guys, that is if you do have this problems, handle wanting to eat at night? I do really well all day..measure my food, eat the correct items, stay under my calorie intake but then about 7pm it hits me! Move out of the way I'm starving...yes I WILL have a blizzard from Dairy Queen if you are going. What? Do I want French Fries from McDonalds? Of course I do bring me a large one!!! :yawn: Right before I go to bed. I know better than this. Any suggestions on how to quell the night time "I'm starving to death" urges??

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks and have a GREAT DAY AND GOOD EATING!!
Tracey

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits my calories(and macros most days)... Or I can adjust tomorrow" to make it fit my weekly food goals... I am fine if I want to eat at night.

The question might be why are you so hungry in the evenings? Do you eat enough proteins? Enough good fats? Enough calories? Eat back your exercise calories? Do you eat from boredom?

If I don't have quite enough calories or don't want to fidget with the rest of the week to make it fit, I drink a can of sparkling water and make myself do something like go for a walk, take a shower, watch a. Movie, read, knit. If I am still famished I get a small serving pf whatever it was I wanted. (sometimes water and boredom are the issue with me)
  • suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That is my biggest problem too! I can go all day without being hungry but right after dinner I feel the need to snack! It used to be that I ate until I went to bed, anything and everything, but since starting this I have gotten so much better. Part of it is mindset and part is allowing myself some food after dinner. I have been eating a regular size bag of microwave popcorn (either Willie's cheese pop or a Natural flavored one. I don't like the fake butter ones, even if it's the 94% fat free stuff) almost every night. It's 120 to 170 calories. Popcorn takes a while to eat if you don't shove it all in at once (another think I'm learning not to do!) so you can make it last. If I'm still hungry, I'll have a Weight Watchers ice cream bar (100-150 cal's, depending on the flavor). If you have the calories left from the day, don't deprive yourself, have a snack. Just try to choose wisely. But if it's not a carrot stick you are craving, don't try to replace your craving with it. Find something comprable!

One thing I am determined not to do is tell myself that I'm not allowed to have something, because the minute you say that, you immediately obessess over having it and will eat everything but that item, resulting in more calories taken in than if you had just eaten what you originally wanted! I'm trying to keep my trigger foods out of the house (goodbye potato chips!) and replacing them with better alternatives (hello popcorn!). Sometimes I even just brush my teeth and go to bed so I'm not near the pantry. Eventually the cravings have started to fade and I feel like I can better control them now.

Feel free to friend me and check out my food diary if you want. I've been steadily losing and that includes my evening snack. Good luck to you, I feel your pain!
  • chelivia7
    chelivia7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That was a huge problem for me. My husband swears by cottage cheese (yuck!) or a small protein shake. I've stopped eating snacks after dinner altogether & go to bed hungry sometimes. It's been about 4 weeks but I've gotten used to it.
  • thepotz
    thepotz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I normly have this about 8-9pm 2-3 hours after last meal
    Fills me up till next morning :-)

natural yogurt mixed with some sultanas and crushed
    dark chocolate crushed almonds
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I don't have a big issue with this anymore, but it was tough when I was starting out. My little trick - brush my teeth. For me, it works like a signal to my brain/body that it's time to go to sleep soon (even though it isn't), and the thought of eating right after brushing my teeth always grosses me out anyway. So I'd suggest that once you've eaten whatever you'd planned for the evening, go and brush your teeth right away - see if it might work for you too.
  • SuziScott
    Options
    I have a problem with this if I don't eat enough calories during the day. I have to get enough or I will start to crave more!