Alternative - stage 2

Options
rachietuk
rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
We have some weights etc at home. Bench, barbell, rack, ball. If I decide to do this at home I will get dumbbells.

I am going to be starting stage 2 in a few weeks. What alternatives can I use for cabel horizontal chop and underhand grip lat pulldown?

Thanks

Replies

• CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the chop could be done somehow with one of the bands/sheets.....if that makes sense to you....not sure if you could wrap one of the same sheets around your hand, put your arms up in a "v" or a "Y' with your body the leg of the "y" and then pull apart and down at the same time for the lat pull down..... I can see what I'm meaning but not sure you can read it..... there are just a lot of things you can do with those exerbands.....good luck!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    From New Rules of Lifting for Life, here are some alternatives (easiest to hardest) to "lat pull-down":

1. standing cable row or split-stance cable row (meaning: you could use bands tied to a door-knob).
    2. DB two-point row (this is harder than #1). Grab a DB with your nondominant hand, stand with your feet shoulder width apart and knees bent slightly. Push your hips back as you bend your torso forward. Hold the weight straight down from your shoulder with an underhand grip (palm facing forward). Pull the weight straight to the side of your abdomen. Lower it to the starting position. Finish all your reps, then repeat the set with the DB in the other hand.
    3. DB chest-supported row. (this is harder than #2) DB in each hand. Set bench at 45-degree incline. Your chest on incline part of bench, your feet flat on floor. DB (underhand grip) in each hand - row.
    4. inverted row (this is harder than #3)
    5. chin-up (this is harder than #4).

From NROL4Life here are some alternatives (easiest to hardest) to "cable horizontal chop": (NOTE: ALL of these are EASIER than the horizontal chop with cable):

1. just do front planks and side planks while "rowing" a cable (i.e. a band). With front, you want your arm extended out in front - straight ahead of your body, and you row that arm back, tight to your side. Side planks, you want the band perpindicular to your body and you row the band tight to your torso.
    2. push-aways (this is harder than #1): use vanslides or valslides (you can google), get in a plank position with your arms straight (like the top of a push-up) and, one-hand at a time, slide the vanslide forward as far as you can and then slide it back.
    3. spiderman plank (this is harder than #2): get in plank position, lift your left knee to your left elbow, keeping all other body parts in the same position. Return to plank and then lift right knee to right elbow.
    4. swiss-ball mountain climber (this is same difficulty as #3): plank position, with straight arms on the swiss ball, feet on floor - body in plank. alternate raising knees to chest while keeping arms straight and body in plank.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great info, Beeps! Thank you!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thank you, great help.
    After all this, I have decided to save money, not buy dumbbells and carry on at the gym. I have a years membership, and still need to do cardio.
    But this is helpful for the future. One day I will have enough stuff to workout at home, maybe even in the sun in summer..... just like being on a meathead beach!!!!!!