Looking for clean eating friends:)

Options
lmw71282
lmw71282 Posts: 24 Member
I am looking for some friends that are also interested in eating clean. I have no clue where to start with it because I also have children and a limited budget due to going to school. I need some help thinking of great meal ideas that the kids would eat too.

Replies

• amd027
    amd027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would like to learn more too...a friend of mine posts on the gracious pantry sometimes, but I wouldn't mind joining in on the journey here!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    You can friend me but my definition of CE is not 100%, my husband won't eat a lot of whole wheat products and I have a picky toddler so instead of being a short order cook I will eat white rice or refined pastas to make cooking easier.

I just try not to eat processed, pre-packaged foods, cheat once a week and I do sometimes sneak a cookie.

My tip to eat clean on a budget is to shop the store ads and stock up when there's a good sale. I shop at 2-3 stores, 1 is down the street and I go there in a pinch (otherwise it's too expensive for general shopping), Raley's weekly because they have great sales, great rewards program where I get money back 4 times a year and buy one get one free meat sales at least every 2 months, then Safeway if it's a really good sale. I also plan my menus around what's in season, on sale or recipes that call for the same ingredients. I also double/triple recipes and freeze so all I need to do is defrost and add a side (I have taco/burrito fixings, salsbury steaks, pulled pork, etc.).
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My kids are now grown, but I struggled with the same issues when my kids were younger. I phased in stuff slowly. Such as: no more hostess-type sweets, cookies, etc. I bought Newman's Own "oreos", etc. I didn't have a problem switching over to brown rice or whole wheat pasta as much, but in the beginning, I would mix a small amount of brown rice into the white and then I gradually increased it. They never knew. I baked lots of home-made banana muffins and added wheat germ and used honey instead of sugar (you need much less). I also used whole wheat or unbleached organic "white" flour with little or no notice. Same goes for meat, side dishes, etc. They never noticed the difference between organic mac and cheese vs. the chemical laden varieties. So, I guess my biggest suggestion would be to make changes slowly and explain to them why the changes are being made. Don't "bad mouth" the bad stuff so much (especially in the beginning); rather, extol the virtues of the good stuff. It also helps to talk about the effects on the environment. No one wants to eat an apple covered in pesticides that hurt little birdies.. :flowerforyou:

I'm not sure how to get around the greater expense. Local farmer's markets and co-ops can be VERY beneficial and less expensive, but I didn't have that luxury back then. I find organic products are cheaper at our local grocery store than, for example, Whole Foods, but you have to really look for the good stuff sometimes. Milk is easy. My grocery store actually carries a store brand of organic milk.

The best substitution is to make "soda" with 100% grape juice and soda water (if your kids currently drink soda). It tastes better and is a thousand percent better for them.

So again, start slowly, modify recipes you already use and don't be afraid to educate the kids. They'll probably think you're crazy and fight you for a while, but when they are adults (I can testify) they will remember, retain and probably use the good nutrition and healthy eating skills you are teaching them now.

Good luck. Friend me if you like. I've been at this for many years, so I can probably provide lots of tips.
  • libertygirlfla
    Options
    Oh, another way to spend close to the same $ but eat more healthfully is this, for example: Buy organic, hormone, nitrate, etc., free hot dogs (which cost a lot more), but limit them to one hotdog. Have them fill up on more veggies, fruit and healthy sides. Milk with dinner will also fill them up. Have the kids participate in preparing the food and plant a garden in the spring so they can see how vegetables really get here. They taste so much better when fresh from the garden, that even they will be surprised that they like things they didn't like before.

PBJ sandwiches are another low-cost, healthy meal that can be made with all or mostly organic ingredients with no largely noticeable difference.
  • libertygirlfla
    Options
    You can friend me but my definition of CE is not 100%, my husband won't eat a lot of whole wheat products and I have a picky toddler so instead of being a short order cook I will eat white rice or refined pastas to make cooking easier.

I just try not to eat processed, pre-packaged foods, cheat once a week and I do sometimes sneak a cookie.

My tip to eat clean on a budget is to shop the store ads and stock up when there's a good sale. I shop at 2-3 stores, 1 is down the street and I go there in a pinch (otherwise it's too expensive for general shopping), Raley's weekly because they have great sales, great rewards program where I get money back 4 times a year and buy one get one free meat sales at least every 2 months, then Safeway if it's a really good sale. I also plan my menus around what's in season, on sale or recipes that call for the same ingredients. I also double/triple recipes and freeze so all I need to do is defrost and add a side (I have taco/burrito fixings, salsbury steaks, pulled pork, etc.).

Great suggestions! I also used to make triple batches of ww pancakes and healthy french toast and then freeze them. Pull them out and pop in the toaster when needed. Quick and easy and cheaper than boxed cereal. I put a small amount of organic, all fruit, jelly rather than syrup on them.