emotional eating

Options
LadieTink
LadieTink Posts: 91 Member
I eat when Im mad, sad and blue.. I do this almost every day, after my husband irritates me... I wanna be strong but it seems like I just cant get it together. Everytime I start , it seems like its always something that stops me (90% my husband).He doesnt talk down to me about my weight so that not it, its just other problems we go through. However, I emotionally eat all the time. I know what I need to do to lose the weight and when I start , I really get down with it. How do I just stop feeling sorry for myself and stop making food my excuse and just DO IT? Any suggestions wld be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• hollyjjohnson
    hollyjjohnson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow -- you're in a tough spot. Although I'm not in a situation like yours currently, I have been. My suggestion to you is this: Look at your life as it is and determine what are the things you can control and what you can't. You can't control your husband or his reactions to anything.

You CAN control how you respond to him and your emotions in those situation. So, pick two positive/healthy/loving ways to react that can actually remove you from the situation (even if it's just for a moment) and then always go back to those. Maybe you go for a 15 minute walk...maybe you go into another room and take 10 very deep and very slow breaths with your eyes closed and you say to yourself, "At this moment, I am changing me." Maybe you paint your toes or give yourself a quick hand massage with nice smelling lotion (lavender is a very calming scent)...anything that helps calm you down and puts you in a place where you make a healthy choice versus resorting to a self-sabotaging (Eating!!!) habit.

Resorting to poor behavior tells "YOU" that you're not good enough to be happy and healthy. The truth is you are. You're a fabulous woman and you deserve to be happy. And when you start treating yourself with respect and love, it just might get your husband on that path as well.
  • mariodog1
    mariodog1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You have good advice.:smile:
  • LadieTink
    LadieTink Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    yes thank you so much, that is so helpful
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Hi!
    If I had a bunch of answers, I probably wouldn't be here lol! However, I believe that I can speak for the majority of us that we are with you in your journey, and we stand by to support you! Send up a flare, and we'll be there!
    Sincerely,
    ijg
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you have to realize that you are good enough... as corny as it sounds. The more you ignore your negative thoughts and push through, the easier it will be. You also have to find something else to do when you want to eat. Do you have any hobbies? The best thing to do is to replace one habit, with another, healthier habit. Sometimes a good cry,works wonders for me as well as a walk or listening to music :)
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I honestly started focusing on my workouts ONLY about a year ago. I just kinda said f*** it when it came to food and ate whatever I wanted. I gained some weight, but then eventually I started to want to eat healthier because I was working out so much and really liking the classes I was taking. I wanted to eat good food to have energy. So I started to think about food more in terms of what I needed not just what I wanted. If I REALLY want something like a craving, then I get it or some healthy version of the thing I want.

Now if I'm just feeling sad or something, I don't eat. I think about how I'll just feel crappier afterwards. I watch a Netflix movie instead...
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    even losing weight doesnt eliminate that emotional eating... I now work on my head and i find it's the biggest struggle of all. Many past issues ...having to dig through alot of emotional maladaptive thinking that got me to where I was. It is a struggle.
    I had gone through a depression last fall after an emotional trigger got me into binging. It's a long crawl out but workin on me. Seeing a therapist and taking self esteem and CBT courses to get me through this.
    emotional eating has always been a part of my life.. hence why i was 600 pounds. My brain still thinks I am fat...i am a failure...am unworthy, unloveable and the list goes on. Changing ones neg thoughts that have been instilled in us from an early age is hard to break... but possible.... i will get there......
  • jbantau
    Options
    I totally agree with, Holly. Along the same lines I think of it as looking for "my responsibility" in the situation. If I'm not happy, is there something I can do to change it? If I can't change the whole situation can I change a part of it? If I don't want to be around my husband when he's irritating me then I maybe I can put my headphones on and disappear into my own universe.

I find, though, that the people around me irritate me most when I'm not doing what I should be doing in my life. Its funny to think that my husband's socks on the floor has anything to do with my life's focus, but I think it's true for me. If I'm not doing what I feel like I need to OR I'm doing too much I will start focusing on the little things because its the easiest way to try to control something. Its something to distract me from the feeling that my life is not my own. That stress of not following a path that I set out for myself and living a life of obligation to others just makes me wanna eat.

So, I try very had not to think or look for what that other person could or should be doing because that's just frustrating. I only focus on me and what I can do. If hubby won't help enough around the house then it'll just be messy and he'll have to wash his own underwear when the laundry piles up so high you can lose a child in it. When the money is tight I have to remind myself that I'm choosing to go to school and I could quit and get a job right now.

That's just what I do and that doesn't eliminate all the stress but it eliminates some of the stress I create.
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    Options
    :love:
    I just read this discussion and am thankful for all of you posting it here. You all had great advice and it goes to show us that we are not alone. If others can stop the emotional eating then I can too. Mine gets triggered at work.... as happens to many of us. The advice on this stream works there as well - as long as I practice and not give in. Thank you all and hope you all have a great Sunday!!!
  • ThinAgain46
    Options
    bump