Workout 1B much easier than 1A?

Options
So i just did workout 1B today and I though I really pushed myself but I still found it much easier than workout A! Anyone else think so too?

Dead lifts- 30 on the bar, -but I used the machine because that's all the gym has where I go.

dumbbell shoulder lifts - 10lb each arm

Pull down 65 lbs

Lunge- 8 lbs each arm

Ball crunches.

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the workouts will be as easy/hard as you make them. I finished my first week yesterday, my first A & B workouts were more of figuring out what alternatives I need to do because I am working out at home and I don't have a squat bar, lots of weights, and keeping proper form in mind.

So when I did my 2nd A workout Friday I ramped up the weight based on my notes from Monday and I made sure to push myself so I didn't think I could do more than 2-3 more reps at that weight. The step ups for A are hard for me once I hit 5-6 reps.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Up your weights next time, you can do it, you'll be surprised. If you think it's easy, up the weight.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Well, no, I don't. I think both are very taxing on you and I always go home having busted my butt in the gym, regardless of A or B workout. I agree that you may have to increase the load in the B workout if it felt too easy. Maybe if you add plates to deadlift bar, you should feel the results in the rest of the workout. I have always felt as if the rest is harder than before if I add weights to the deadlift or the squat. Then it may feel a little bit easier (but never easy) the next time.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I always think one of the workouts is easier than the other. I don't know if they're really easier, or if I just like certain exercises more than others. There are a few that I dread, so any workout that doesn't have them (static lunges with rear foot elevated) seem easier. LOL
  • kellyscomeback
    Options
    If anything I think they are too quick, I'm only working out for 30 minutes tops.
  • CandyBryson
    CandyBryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The lunges were really hard for me because my booty was sore from the step ups. I had been doing a different routine before I started this which included the pull downs but I added a lot more weight because I wanted to push myself.
  • CandyBryson
    Options
    Well, no, I don't. I think both are very taxing on you and I always go home having busted my butt in the gym, regardless of A or B workout. I agree that you may have to increase the load in the B workout if it felt too easy. Maybe if you add plates to deadlift bar, you should feel the results in the rest of the workout. I have always felt as if the rest is harder than before if I add weights to the deadlift or the squat. Then it may feel a little bit easier (but never easy) the next time.

I had 30lb's of plates, ( 15 on each side) how much does the bar weigh on its own? I think the 30 was a little to light, maybe that had something do do with it...
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I find lunges hard as my hip flexes are always tight and I forget to stretch them out. Apart from that I think both the workouts are pretty similar. I'm also only working out for 30 mins but it still feels like a hard workout and according to my HRM I'm getting a good burn so I'm just going to trust the book as stage 2 looks like it will take longer.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I did today. But I think it is because those jackknife things tried to kill whereas nothing today wanted me dead, just writhing in pain.

:happy:

I certainly "feel" certain exercises more than others. I do a lot of running so my legs are stronger than my abs and upper body. But I know the lactic acid build ip tells me I definitely pushed my muscles today!
  • FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi there, not sure if olympic bars are the same world wide. The bar at the gym I go to here in Australia is 17.5kg (38.5 pounds).
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The classic US olympic bars are 45 pounds.
  • CandyBryson
    Options
    I did it on the smith machine, is it the same weight?
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Might not be - can you ask someone at the gym?

I am in NZ and we have both 24kg bars and 17.5kg bars, and they are actually quite hard to tell apart - luckily most of them are 24kg, and hopefully I would notice if I was using a 17.5kg bar. I haven't found the weight stamped on the bars - I would have thought this would have been a good idea!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't think B is easier, but I definitely prefer it!

I agree with the posters who have said easy = must add weight.
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend deadlifts or squats on the smith machine. You won't get the same range of motion. I had the same problem when I started and was given the advice that even dumbbells would be better than the smith machine.

Also for those concerned that the workouts are too short, enjoy it while it lasts! Starting in stage 2 they can be an hour fifteen to an hour and a half if you do all the rest times the way they are written.

I totally agree with myownsunshine...each stage I feel like one of the days is easier than the other, but I also typically dislike some of the exercises in one of the days.
  • CandyBryson
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend deadlifts or squats on the smith machine. You won't get the same range of motion. I had the same problem when I started and was given the advice that even dumbbells would be better than the smith machine.

Also for those concerned that the workouts are too short, enjoy it while it lasts! Starting in stage 2 they can be an hour fifteen to an hour and a half if you do all the rest times the way they are written.

I totally agree with myownsunshine...each stage I feel like one of the days is easier than the other, but I also typically dislike some of the exercises in one of the days.

Okay So I am pretty new to this, But how in the world would I do a dead lift with dumbbells? I don't have excess to many free weights, it's pretty much limited to the Dumbells, and the plates for the smith machine.
  • kellyscomeback
    Options

Okay So I am pretty new to this, But how in the world would I do a dead lift with dumbbells? I don't have excess to many free weights, it's pretty much limited to the Dumbells, and the plates for the smith machine.

Here's a video from YouTube, a quick search yields this move in a few different videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi6MZNQuXfs
    Here's another way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG-Stc3c7N0

I'm probably going to try the single legged method tonight
  • CandyBryson
    Options

Here's a video from YouTube, a quick search yields this move in a few different videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi6MZNQuXfs
    Here's another way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG-Stc3c7N0

I'm probably going to try the single legged method tonight

Thanks!!!!!! I will give them a look! :)
  • kellyscomeback
    Options
    I ended up doing 30 lb dumbbells in each hand and I'm already feeling it!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I ended up doing 30 lb dumbbells in each hand and I'm already feeling it!

Awesome!