What age does it end?

Options
cbarn025
cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
At what age do you think you have to (or should) stop lifting heavy? I guess what I'm trying to ask is at what age do you take your max and say that's just as high as it's going to get. I'm 25 and I plan on lifting heavy until I can't anymore. So I'm curious to know how many years I have left until I "peak".

Replies

• Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think Stan Efferding is 45 now and going for a 2300+ raw total in his next meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeGZOmtXpBU
    about 1:25 in.

So we can assume you will "peak" sometime before 50 and can lift until you can't get out of bed if things go well and you take care of yourself. Just do your best to stay injury free and keep making progress, no need to worry about the other stuff.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I find that it's less about some arbitrary age, and more about just taking care of your body and keeping at it. Rhino is a great example, though most people like to devalue him as any kind of example of anything every chance they get "because he's obviously on steroids". Jamie Lewis is another example of someone who's getting up there in years (he's kicking 40's door down) and he just recently took the raw total world record in the 181 class at 1705.

If you want to look at the extreme end of it, look up videos of powerlifters that are 80+ years old. Granted, they aren't deadlifting/squatting 800+ on each lift anymore, but I have seen more than a handful who break 400 (which is more than most people in their 20s do in the average gym).
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    At what age do you think you have to (or should) stop lifting heavy? I guess what I'm trying to ask is at what age do you take your max and say that's just as high as it's going to get. I'm 25 and I plan on lifting heavy until I can't anymore. So I'm curious to know how many years I have left until I "peak".

A lot of powerlifters peak in their mid to late 30's I believe.

But you also have guys like Louie Simmons who can outlift guys half his age.

It depends on how well you take care of yourself.

I'd hope people aren't giving Rhino **** for using steroids. 99% of your world record holders are using, it's a part of them game.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

A lot of powerlifters peak in their mid to late 30's I believe.

But you also have guys like Louie Simmons who can outlift guys half his age.

It depends on how well you take care of yourself.

I'd hope people aren't giving Rhino **** for using steroids. 99% of your world record holders are using, it's a part of them game.

I wasn't referring to people within the 'circle' of powerlifting. I am talking about the average, run of the mill person who wouldn't know an anabolic-androgenic steroid from fenugreek. Ya' know, the people who swear that any teenager with a total over 1200 must be on gear.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 now, and had I not quit theres no telling where my lifts would be now. But if you quit for a long time you can get back at pretty quick but you have to be careful. Joint problems will slow your progress. I started doing crossfit too and its help with that problem. As for when to stop or when you peak, I know guys into their 60's still lifting heavy. Its in there blood and they will never stop. Thats also like Albert Beckles that was still competing in the Mr.Olympia in his 60's. Just do it...If you wanna know when you will top out that depends on your dedication to the sport. I wanna get back to where I was before and am getting there but doing it different. Back then I ate everything in sight weighed 270 and ate about 10k calories a day. I had no gut or flabby stomach, but when I stopped my metabolism slowed. Now I'm healthier and would like to achieve the same weight at a lower weight and BF%.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    then I'll revisit my body and goals and see if I can add 15 more years.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    There would probably be a time in my life when I don't have the desire to compete anymore, or when I will stop pushing myself to the extreme.

After that, I will probably continue to lift "heavy" at least to maintain as much of my strength as I can.

I don't wish to put a number on it because while we all get old, there are people in their 80's still lifting. Just like their are people who have to cut down at a younger age. I will continue to do what I enjoy, to the best of my abilities, throughout my life. I will also listen to my body and what it can cope with, but I can't imagine stopping altogether. Not the way I feel about it now anyway.

ETA: Until you peak. I think for men, testosterone is at it's highest in late 20's. Yet, the world's strongest men are usually in mid-late 30's, I'd assume because of the years of experience they have built up. It is rare to see a guy in his 20's become one of the strongest, even though hormonally they should be at their best.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options