Changing up 5x5 routine based on other excercise.

Options
Hey everyone! I've been doing SL 5x5 for close to a year now with a lot of success. I'm playing league basketball this spring so I've been playing ball on Sun/Thurs and 5x5 MWF but I seem to be wearing out and I've failed squats and deadlift recently. That's especially true on Mondays and Fridays since I played ball the nights before. I'm thinking about relaxing on the 5x5 for a few weeks and maybe only raising my working weight on Wednesdays. Anyone have any experience with this or similar issues? Any suggestions on how to switch it up and keep making gains?

Replies

• oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you're not failing until your 4th or 5th set you might consider going from 5x5 to 3x5.
  • sony_4
    Options
    That's true. I think I will try going that route and see if it helps. I've been exhausted lately with doing as much cardio as I have been and doing 5x5. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree 3x5 may be your answer, assuming you are resting and eating enough to cover both hoops and weights.
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing the 5x5. deload by 30% and continue. You will push right through the old max and not even realize it. Definately do 5x5 not 3x anything.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing the 5x5. deload by 30% and continue. You will push right through the old max and not even realize it. Definately do 5x5 not 3x anything.

Just to give a different opinion, I think there is nothing wrong with doing 3x5. I actually do Starting Strength which is similar to Strong Lifts, but uses 3x5 instead of 5x5. Starting Strength is a very well accepted program. That said, following johnny's advice would not be a bad choice, either.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. I'm looking to cut body fat so I'm switching to more speed and endurance training after 12 weeks of SL (more cardio, cleans and crossfit). if you're looking to increase strength or bulk than make sure your calories are high enough and deload as said above. Intense bball games are going to affect your squat performance.