Group Intro's!

Options
2»

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Well well, thank you very much! That will indeed be the solution, especially if I can fiddle with a filling system, so many projects.... thank you much for the info!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just found this group and am hoping to connect with others who are interested in this type of stuff. The area that we live in doesn't allow us to have livestock, so that's out, so my husband and I are trying to figure out other ways to be more self-sufficient when it comes to domestic stuff. I do have a raised bed garden and dry my own herbs. I've made cheese, yogurt and mst recently a tallow based soap. Hubby and I have also started brewing. Very exciting stuff, I say.
  • Pandorian
    Options
    Depending on your area... livestock may be out (goats, cattle etc... perhaps chickens..i) could you squeeze in rabbits... what about fish farming? can do that in 50 gallon barrels to have a few fish on hand... pair it with aqua-ponics and you've got a nice little watering system with the fish waste feeding the plants and the plants providing for the fish...

rain-water harvesting can go a LONG way to helping your raised bed garden depending on rain-fall patterns in your area, i tend to get rain, sometimes a lot at once and then not much for a stretch so anything I can capture is that much less I have to be hauling for the garden... again it depends on your area... some areas catching the rain may not be above-board for some reason.

Other projects sound great, especially the brewing... you beer or wine? I've got everything I need for wine gear wise but need the materials to be brewed.. might be good use of berry season this year instead of quite as much jam as I made last year.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Other projects sound great, especially the brewing... you beer or wine? I've got everything I need for wine gear wise but need the materials to be brewed.. might be good use of berry season this year instead of quite as much jam as I made last year.

The melomel has another 3 months or so. There's a whiskey stout that's getting started in the next week or so, and a honey mead (local honey) that'll get cooking as soon as the yeast comes in. :)

Have to look into your other suggestions. Not sure if we have a ban on "stagnant water" in rain barrels and the like, because of mosquitoes. I certainly don't want to contribute to THAT. You did get the wheels turning though... Hmmmm...
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Monika 36 year old SAHM of 3 awesome kids. We have 11 acres on a river in which we are having a great time. I'm a beekeeper, aspiring yurt dweller (it's almost finished) chicken lady and hopeful sheep owner. I'm finishing up my homeschooling years this spring and I'm nervous and excited about what the fall will hold with two kids in public school (their choice). I can't grow a garden to save my life, but I can spin yarn, knit, make soap, and wildcraft all kinds of herbal goodness.

I just wanted to say hello!
  • EmeliaFoo
    EmeliaFoo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am Emelia. I am so glad I found this group. I am more of an urban homesteader these days. We moved from the country to a house in the city last year. We have(had) chickens. We are having to go through major permit hoops to get our girls back. Right now they are residing at my man's mom's house. I REALLY miss them. We also have bees. Right now they are living in the back yard in front of the electricity meter. I busted out laughing yesterday when I saw the meter man reading our meter through binoculars in his truck. Our neighbors are very happy that we have the bees and are excited for us to get our chickens back.

I also knit, make soap, bake-I cultivate my own sourdough starter, and various other fun diy activities.

I am glad to be here!
  • Pandorian
    Options
    Yeah people can have strange disconnects with things... like ' oh I hate monsanto'... but the first thing they reach for at the sight of a bug / unwanted plant ? Round-up.....

Or just last weekend while planting the garden getting the straw off the strawberries... "the neighbour was in and picked up his hives... good riddance"... um... no we WANT the bees around if we want to get our best yield from the garden... I had to laugh when the hives were returned (could have been different ones) before the day was out, so I know my garden is covered by their bees once again.

Chickens were a pleasure they don't make a lot of noise, unless you've got a rooster around then you might have some noise... but that's to be expected.. .neighbour lost their chickens for "noise" yet someone the next block over still has their dog that barks at anything that moves.... ugh
  • EmeliaFoo
    EmeliaFoo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    , aspiring yurt dweller (it's almost finished)

I would love to see some photos of your yurt. Before we had to move to the city my boyfriend really wanted to build one. Hopefully someday we will be able to get back to it.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm Trula. I live in Ohio with my husband and kids. I love gardening and I sew lots of my own clothes. i also like canning and dehydrating food. In the future my husband and I plan to build a straw bale house.
  • Lynne120
    Lynne120 Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am a city girl gone cattle rancher's wife about 20 years ago. We live 40 miles from the nearest town and I love it. I do drive to town each day during the school year. My oldest son has special needs and my other boys also go to school in town. I also teach a SE K-2 class (not going to drive back and forth twice in a day, and I am close to my boys if they need me). I'm off for the summer and enjoying the "country girl" side of me again. Just helped build our chicken coop (hatched 20 chicks in my school class for a science project, fell in love with them) and can't wait for eggs! So we have cattle (only a couple 1,000 head- lol) chickens, cats, and dogs.... oh yeah, and boys and all their teenage friends. Always so much going on!

Started my weight loss journey several times over the past 10 years, but it seems to be sticking this time. 39 lbs gone since Feb. still a long way to go, but I am learning to put myself on my daily To Do List. I am having success on a low carb diet. Hard for me because I still cook from scratch for my family and the cowboys that work so hard on our ranch. I've learned to be a great southern cook and I am known around here for my baking...... I've just had to learn to pour myself a sweet cup of Joe and not lick my fingers! Today we are picking cherries off our trees, cutting out the rhubarb and picking raspberries off the bushes for jam making tomorrow. Should be interesting for someone who has sworn off sugar!

Seems like a great group concept.
    Lynne
  • gypsyeyesforyou
    Options
    hey ya'll! my name is pam and i am a former teacher turned "farm boss." my husband and i raise piney woods cattle, pigs, and chickens. this is our first year, so we started with a small garden. did my first canning this year and was very successful. we plan to raise rabbits soon as well. our goal is to be as self-sufficient as possible. we even built our own house. this year, we planted apple and peach trees and blueberries. anyone please feel free to add me as a friend on here. would love to talk farming!
  • TahleelDreamy
    TahleelDreamy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Ya'll,

I am Tahleel from Texas. I love to garden, juice, pickle and can. This week I got the vegetable beds ready for spring planting, the cold frame set up in the yard and the seeds in the peat pots. The cucumbers, squash and tomatoes have already germinated and are under lights, as I post...hooray! This year, God willing, I intend to add a few backyard chickens and maybe some rabbits. Also, very interested in learning about beekeeping, someone please start a thread on that.

All the best!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Bobbi. My husband and I live on his grandparents old farm. We are just getting started with cattle. We also are raising 2 pigs and have 50 something chickens (we both sell eggs at our jobs). He does the hunting (deer and rabbit), I help with the processing. I try my best at gardening, but really my husband has the green thumb! We had a small lake built a few years back (we live in hilly country so it wasn't too difficult) and will be eating fresh fish this year. We are slowly but surely becoming more self sufficient. We would like to start some bee hives and also grow mushrooms. So glad to see a group like this on here!
  • lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi Everybody!!!
    My name is Lisa. I'm a 48 year old mother of 2 grown (and gone) now adults. My venture into "homesteading" started about 8 1/2 years ago when I quit my job and moved to the middle of nowhere (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) to live w/my hubby (of now 9 years).
    Almost 5 years ago I got 3 baby (month old) Holstein calves -- 1 heifer and 2 bulls.. Today my "herd" numbers 19 -- 9 fulltime cows/heifers, 2 Holstein bull calves that I hope to train to become oxen, and 8 steers (7 Holstein, 1 Holstein/Angus cross) that are destined for the sale barn this fall.. LOVE my cattle!!! Haven't raised any of mine to butcher yet cuz my FIL also has cattle and butchers at least one every year.
    I've raised pigs every year for the past 5 or 6 years. I've had laying chickens for at least 7 years now (on my 3rd batch) but last year was the first year that I raised meat birds. The cornish rock crosses kinda grossed me out (they could barely move) so I'll be trying a different meat breed next time. LOVE the fact that one freezer is full of home-raised (better than organic) meat.. My other freezer is full of fruit and berries that get turned into lots of tasty things.
    The garden thing hasn't worked out to well the past couple years but I'm looking forward to this year. Gonna downsize they number of things I plant just to the things we love -- cucumbers (eat raw and gonna pickle), green beans (raw for me, dilly beans for hubby), tomatoes (raw and to can), corn, and maybe 1 or 2 other things.

Lisa
  • rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 36 years old with four kids, 16, 14, 1,, and 3. My husband and I have 7 acres. He always lived on a farm and loved it. Not me sububuran girl but always wanted to live out in the country. We just started a few years ago "farming". We have 3 dogs, great dane Dozer, bernaise mountain dog, Heidi and rot/lab Rodeo. I have benn growing a garden for two years and gardening. We got 9 chickens this past summer. Next I would like pigs. It is a lot of work, we both work fulltime crazy jobs and the kids are so busy but very rewarding to eat your own food.

Goal: just lose weight and feel better no really set goal but need to lose about 40 pounds

Arica