Frustrated...Need Encouragement

Options
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in November 2012 and have been taking Synthroid 0.25 mg since that time. My Dr. recently did a blood test and my levels came in at 2.10 - seems great. My problem is that I haven't lost a pound, despite eating a very restrictive diet that includes high protein and very little sugar 1200 cals or under. I do intensive (weight training, conditioning, and cardio) exercise 45-60 minutes/day for 4 times/week.

This is so frustrating...My Doc also tested T3 and T4, and everything came back normal.

Why can't I lose weight? I don't know what else to do...

Anyone experiencing the same thing? Is there hope for me?

Replies

• Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The red flag for me in your post was the 1200 cals or under. When I started dieting I was eating 1200 or less and not losing. 1200 is what a person needs in a day just to function. If you're exercising you need even more. If you eat less you risk your body going into starvation mode and holding on to fat. I upped my calories and now eat between 1300 & 1400, sometimes more when I burn a lot through exercise and started losing steadily. If you go to the general weight loss & diet forum there are a lot of threads to support that idea. Good luck!
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How else are you feeling besides not being able to lose weight? And what lab tests are being run besides TSH? FT4 & FT3 need to be run to determine the cellular level of these hormones. Totals, and Uptakes are useless. Also - how are your iron levels? Being low in Iron could cause thyroid not being absorbed properly. Adrenals? Vitamin D? B12?

I would highly suggest going to the Stopthethyroidmadness.com website and start reading. There's so much to learn about hypothyroidism. It would be best to arm yourself with knowledge, and ask lots of questions. STTM, and also the ladies on their various forums are amazing resources of information.

My story: Full thyroidectomy in 2010 - and quickly gained 80 pounds within just a couple months. Felt like crap for 2 years afterwards, not sleeping at night, moody, hair falling out, dry skin, brain fog - and no matter what I would say to my doctor, I would just get pat on the head. I went through 6 doctors and was told everything from "oh - you just need to work out more", to "you're losing the evolutionary battle", and "maybe this is your new normal". None of those 6 doctors ever ran the correct labs on me, and was basing my thyroid replacement purely on my TSH test - which is NOT a thyroid hormone, but a pituitary hormone.

Just in the last 2 months, I've been dealing with my own issues - ordering my own labs to finally see what's going on, and supplementing what I'm deficient in. I was very hypo, very anemic, and had extreme adrenal fatigue which were all adversly affecting me physically and emotionally. I'm starting to feel really great again, and have no doubt that in no time I will be losing weight again. I have also found a great integrative doctor that has come highly recommended by other patients who have thyroid problems just like me - and he treats his patients like real people, and not just numbers on a lab sheet.
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more calories if you work out intensely. You may actually be doing something counteractive by exercising so hard. I've heard that if you have a thyroid imbalance, and exercise hard, your body can actually produce more cortisol making it even harder to lose. I've been in that boat. I was exercising intensely with only 1-2 rest days, and I just maintained my weight. You also may want to look into food intolerances. I started going gluten free on New Years, and have felt better. Then last week I took it one step further and started going Paleo. I do shorter workouts and the weight is FINALLY budging! Just hang in there. I know (trust me I know) how frustrating it is when all of your friends are losing, and you are probably working twice as hard at it and nothing seems to be happening. Just keep experimenting with dietary and exercise adjustments, make sure your getting enough food, have your vitamin D, B, and iron checked, and most of all don't give up hope. It will happen! :flowerforyou:
  • amandaaaaaas
    Options
    Hi 'blushingbride':

I totally understand your situation. Others are right about 1200 calories but I'm having a hard time myself since I'd swear my body actually produces its own calories post-thryoidectomy, ha! If you need support/encouragement, I'm here and feel free to add me! So much more helpful with others to urge us on!

Amanda
    thyca 12/09
    completion thyroidectomy 1/10
    TSH suppression 175 mcg levothyroxine
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in November 2012 and have been taking Synthroid 0.25 mg since that time. My Dr. recently did a blood test and my levels came in at 2.10 - seems great. My problem is that I haven't lost a pound, despite eating a very restrictive diet that includes high protein and very little sugar 1200 cals or under. I do intensive (weight training, conditioning, and cardio) exercise 45-60 minutes/day for 4 times/week.

This is so frustrating...My Doc also tested T3 and T4, and everything came back normal.

Why can't I lose weight? I don't know what else to do...

Anyone experiencing the same thing? Is there hope for me?

I personally would feel quite hypo with a TSH of 2.10. What were the actual results of the T3/T4 testing? Was it free or total T3/T4 that was tested? Being "within normal range" and being "optimal" or even "normal for you" are all very different things. Ex: I feel quite hypo if my free T3 is at the bottom of the range; I don't care if some doctor says it's "normal", it doesn't feel good for me.

Your free T3 result should ideally be in the top 1/3 of the range, not at the bottom.

I agree with the previous poster that your calorie intake might be too low. You should be netting at least 1200 cals, not going under.
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I knew that fellow Hypos would understand where I am coming from with the frustration of doing everything you can think of and not getting any results.

I actually weighed myself again this morning and am down 6 oz. I know it doesn't sound like much, but when you stay stable at the exact same weight for 3 weeks, every ounce counts!

Those of you suggesting I get re-tested, I will. I am calling my doc today to request another blood test. I do feel much better than I did before - most of the brain fog is gone (yay! no longer putting my phone in the fridge) and my mood is improving, but I do find that I still crash at the end of the work day and have a hard time maintaining energy throughout the evening. Skin is still dry and itchy, nails breaking off, etc.

So maybe my ideal levels are under 2. Doc checked T3 and T4, but I will ask her to check again. I have also been reading up on the benefits of Coconut oil on thyroid function, so will start introducing that into my diet.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement - it has been really helpful just to network with others who have gone/are going through similar issues.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So maybe my ideal levels are under 2. Doc checked T3 and T4, but I will ask her to check again. I have also been reading up on the benefits of Coconut oil on thyroid function, so will start introducing that into my diet.

Make sure it's "free" T3/T4, and not total.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ask the dr. also how your sugar levels are. Mine were in the "pre-diabetic" range. I was put on meds for that in addition to my synthroid. The weight started to come off. My thyroid & pancreas needed to work together.
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options
    Hi 'blushingbride':

I totally understand your situation. Others are right about 1200 calories but I'm having a hard time myself since I'd swear my body actually produces its own calories post-thryoidectomy, ha! If you need support/encouragement, I'm here and feel free to add me! So much more helpful with others to urge us on!

Amanda
    thyca 12/09
    completion thyroidectomy 1/10
    TSH suppression 175 mcg levothyroxine

Thanks Amanda! I will add you!
  • kizzes12
    kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    we eat less we dnt lose lets just eat our heart out maybe we can lose!!!! i understand your concern iam going through the same thing:flowerforyou: