IF and BCAA's

Options
Any of you use/used IF?
What's you're thoughts on following this;
6 AM: 5-15 minutes pre-workout: 10 g BCAA.
6-7 AM: Training.
8 AM: 10 g BCAA.
10 AM: 10 g BCAA
12-1 PM: The "real" post-workout meal (largest meal of the day). Start of the 8 hour feeding-window.
8-9 PM: Last meal before the fast.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/05/early-morning-fasted-training.html

Replies

• zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    All I know about BCAAs is my protein powder says it has them in it. So assume something to do with that - but what's the theory about ingesting them on that schedule?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    My normal eating window is noon to 8:00 PM (I haven't been as strict with the 8:00 PM for the past couple months). On some days I lift in the morning and other days I lift after work. When I lift in the morning I do the BCAA thing. I don't have any evidence that they do anything or that my muscles will fall off if I don't do it but the bulk BCAAs from Nutraplanet are relatively inexpensive and I feel better (psychologically) for doing it. Even if that sounds goofy I figure at worst it's not hurting anything at best it's physically helping and just maybe I'll get placebo swole so I'll have that going for me.

In other words: this entire post was useless but I'm leaving it up because of "placebo swole".
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    All I know about BCAAs is my protein powder says it has them in it. So assume something to do with that - but what's the theory about ingesting them on that schedule?

Taking them by themselves, seems to be a way of enabling muscle protein synthesis without the calories you'd get from whey protein.... Which stops you from breaking your fast... At least that's what the website says.
    In other words: this entire post was useless but I'm leaving it up because of "placebo swole".
    good job bro :drinker:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think that this is one of those scenarios where the differences between getting in BCAAs and not getting in BCAAs, is probably not going to be something substantial. (Plenty of IFers do not use BCAAs)

I think substituting BCAA with whey is fine.

Ultimately I wouldn't get too caught up in having a very specific meal timing unless it happens to match up to your preferences.

I do think that if you're going to train fasted it would be a "good idea" to get some form of amino acids, whether through whey or bcaa, somewhere near your training bout.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I used to IF, now I'm not really strict about the feeding window, but start eating later in the day.
    I have never taken BCAA and I don't think that taking them will make a huge difference.
    I think it's enough if you get your protein later during the day.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options

But would i see any benefits from IF?
    I could easily do the schedule below, as it's not far off from what i do anyway;

7-8 AM: Training.
    8:30 AM: 50g whey protein with 150ml water & 150ml milk
    12-1 PM: The "real" post-workout meal (largest meal of the day). Start of the 8 hour feeding-window.
    7-8 PM: Last meal before the fast.
  • Martucha123
    Options

But if you are doing IF, then you should not have more then 50 kcal outside of your feeding window
    I'm not saying that if you do whey you will not see the results, but you won't be following the IF protocol
    (the 50 kcal is estimate provided by Martin Berkhan)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

This question presupposes that fasting has benefits outside of personal preference.
  • SideSteel
    Options

This question presupposes that fasting has benefits outside of personal preference.

^ As usual I agree with Rock.

I'm not yet convinced that IF has any substantial benefits that extend outside of personal preference. Now that being said, if IF matches your personal preferences then you better believe that it's a good idea to do it, because finding something that fits your preferences makes eating at a deficit a whole lot easier. But as far as I'm concerned at this point, the benefits lie in preference.

For the record, I do not strictly IF when I cut, but I skip breakfast and I eat most of my calories at night, and I absolutely love it and don't see myself changing this habit. If I were told that I had to eat a huge breakfast and then eat less and less throughout the day I don't think I'd be able to lean out as effectively due to adherence failures and general misery.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Cheers Rock/Steel, i think you've answered my question :smile:
  • sjohnny
    Options

I'm not yet convinced that IF has any substantial benefits that extend outside of personal preference. Now that being said, if IF matches your personal preferences then you better believe that it's a good idea to do it, because finding something that fits your preferences makes eating at a deficit a whole lot easier. But as far as I'm concerned at this point, the benefits lie in preference.

For the record, I do not strictly IF when I cut, but I skip breakfast and I eat most of my calories at night, and I absolutely love it and don't see myself changing this habit. If I were told that I had to eat a huge breakfast and then eat less and less throughout the day I don't think I'd be able to lean out as effectively due to adherence failures and general misery.

Basically this is why I "IF". It fits the way I prefer to eat anyway and it was really helpful to me to find out about it as I had fallen into the "you gots to eat brefist to fire up your metabolizms" thing. Forcing myself to eat breakfast first thing in the morning made me feel like crap. When I started learning about IF and how stuff seems to really work I was thrilled. It hasn't necessarily had any effect on my weight loss but I feel better in general so.....
  • Martucha123
    Options
    I would only add that as much as I agree with Fire and SS when it comes to the benefits,
    In my case if I have a snack (even if it's a protein shake) early in the morning I will be getting hungry within 2 hours.
    So I would not have the protein shake for this very reason.
    I do have my morning snack quite often, but i have it around 1 pm or 12 not earlier, and my first real meal is around 2 pm.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Yea agreed Rock, but but ....according to Berkhan, he made all KINDS of gainz while on IF. In fact, he put on lean mass while shedding all KINDS of bodyfat.

(note: I can't stand Berkhan and I think he's full of wiener)
  • SideSteel
    Options

Basically this is why I "IF". It fits the way I prefer to eat anyway and it was really helpful to me to find out about it as I had fallen into the "you gots to eat brefist to fire up your metabolizms" thing. Forcing myself to eat breakfast first thing in the morning made me feel like crap.

^ This right here, IMO, is the greatest thing about IF regardless of whether or not I think all the claims are justified.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Yea agreed Rock, but but ....according to Berkhan, he made all KINDS of gainz while on IF. In fact, he put on lean mass while shedding all KINDS of bodyfat.

you mad cause he's pulling 600 brah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAX94eA2zrA
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

I ain't even mad bro. I ain't even mad that he tags all his lifts with IF such as "Intermittent Fasting CURLZ", and "Intermittent Fasting Bench" and of course "600lb DEADLIFT INTERMITTENT FASTING"!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I love IF, because it's convenient. Did I see any magical voodoo weight change magic? Nope. Also, there's some evidence that shows that women do not do as well on it (https://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/). At least not women mice lol. Personally, I really enjoy the larger meals...I don't like rabbit meals.

As for the person who said they find themselves hungry when they eat earlier in the day, I have my periods when I feel the same way, but if I stick to a strict eating schedule for a period of time it goes away. After researching I think it has something to do with ghrelin
  • sjohnny
    Options

I ain't even mad bro. I ain't even mad that he tags all his lifts with IF such as "Intermittent Fasting CURLZ", and "Intermittent Fasting Bench" and of course "600lb DEADLIFT INTERMITTENT FASTING"!!

You forgot "INTERMITTENT FASTING: HERNIATED DISC!"
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Main benefit of IF is if you're a fatty and still want to pig out on a deficit. Problem with that is, you end up thinking all day about how you will break fast and go a little overboard. As an ex-avid IFer, I did enjoy the mental clarity it seemed to give me at times, but that's possibly a placebo effect. Think of IF as a tool, one you can utilize when you have a big event planned like a wedding or birthday.

But in regards to your question, BCAAs really only benefit those who don't get adequate protein in their diet, so in such a case for IFers, it's def an"good idea" to take them. I took them and I felt like it gave me a slight energy boost during my workouts. If you think of it as a sports drink, it makes a lot more sense than buying Gatorade, Powerade, etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just to add my worthless 2c as its already been covered. IF is a great tool for adherence, and I do a loosy goosy version if it where I just drink lattes with some whey before noon. Any possible benefits (and I am not convinved there are any) that may be made are outweighed by the jumping through hoops to stay on the formal protocol re supplements and exact timing. Also IMO if you take whey before training, BCAAS are not needed if you train fasted (with the exception of the whey).