HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• marlenarouzes
    Options
    Hi,
    I had lapband surgery i Canada ( Slimband ) on October 11th, for me it was the best choice .. I had only 60 pounds to lose and I wanted to do it the least invasive route possible .. since then I have lost about 37 - 38 pounds so for me I am extremely happy with my choice.
    But like what everyone else has been telling you .. you must do what is right for YOU! what is right for me or someone else may not be what you feel is right for you .. the only advise i can give you is .. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!
    Good luck with whatever you chose and remember we are always here for you!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I had the lap band put in place just over 13 months ago. I have lost 68 of my 112 pounds lost since then, which, according to my surgeon, is already almost twice what I was projected to lose since surgery. And I am not nearly finished yet.

I have no experience with gastric bypass, obviously, and I know that both methods require lifestyle changes, but I really feel that if you go for the lap band, you MUST start to make those changes NOW, before you even have the surgery. You HAVE to learn how to listen to your body, and you must absolutely make regular appointments with your surgeon, whether you need a fill or not, and learn when you need an unfill, as well (I have learned this the hard way), and not feel like a failure if you need an unfill and then gain a pound or two while you are adjusting. It can be VERY subtle, and involves a LOT of trial and error, and can get frustrating, and maybe people give up, and this is why it fails them, I don't know. I have been lucky enough that my insurance paid for my surgery and all of my follow-up visits, so I am very grateful I can make this work for me.

Also, no matter what you choose, never ever let yourself fall into the trap of eating "easy" or "slider" foods just because they go down more easily, because that is the surest way to regain. Really educate yourself on the best things to eat/ways to eat that correlate to the kind of surgery you have had. You also really should start exercising, even walking is better than nothing.

My weight loss has slowed down a lot lately, but that is to be expected. Patience is a valuable skill. LoL. I am actually only 14 pounds from my original goal of 150 pounds, and if it takes me another year to get there, I am totally fine with that, because slow progress is still progress, Quick does not always equal better, no matter which surgery you ultimately choose.

It is up to you to make the right choice for yourself. There are a lot of naysayers out there that tend to shout louder than the ones for whom these things have worked. Success stories exist.

Regardless of which you choose, or even if you choose not to have surgery at all, I wish you the best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i had bypass August of 2010. After careful research and consideration that was my decision. I had type 2 diabetes and was insulin dependent. I read an articule out of Berkely CA that noted bypass released an enzyme which helped cells absorb naturally produced insulin. I was in after that. I had NO COMPLICATIONS AT ALL. I was home the next day, granted, it was terrible pain, but you know what, you get over it. After 2 weeks pain was minimul and I was focused on diet. I lost 105#. If you decide on this, keep in mind, it is AN ENTIRE LIFE CHANGER. I mean it, you will never be the same! It takes dedication to prepare meals, take your vitamins EVERY DAY and drink your water.
    My best friend did the lap band 2 weeks after my bypass. She has lost 72#. Granted it has taken her longer, but she is thrilled with the results! One thing that my surgeon failed to tell me though, after bypass or sleeve, taking NSAIDS is not recommended long term. So, if you have any arthritis or inflammatory isssues, let this factor into your decision.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention with any of the WLS you won't be in bed long for any of them. I was up 4 hours after my sleeve surgery and every 4 hours after that night and day in the hospital. When I got home I never laid in bed except to sleep at night. I would sit in the recliner some but not all day. They don't want you laying around all the time due to blood clot risks. You gotta sip, walk and rest some then repeat.
    Good luck with your decision!
  • xcarrie3137x
    Options
    thanks soo much ladies!!! Im not that scared anymore..its nice to have people to talk to who already went through it. So went to the dr's yesterday and im a good candidate. So i decided on bypass and they are scheduling my upper endoscopy and then once i pay the $500 fee (ouch) i will start 3 months with the dietician and like skills workshop and nutritionist..getting excited for a new me :]
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    thanks soo much ladies!!! Im not that scared anymore..its nice to have people to talk to who already went through it. So went to the dr's yesterday and im a good candidate. So i decided on bypass and they are scheduling my upper endoscopy and then once i pay the $500 fee (ouch) i will start 3 months with the dietician and like skills workshop and nutritionist..getting excited for a new me :]

Yeah...$500 at once is an ouch. I had to pay $360 for 6 visits with my dietitian, $250 for my psychologist appointment, and $525 for the supplies they required me to have pre op and post op. Not to mention the money it took for the dozens of 3 hour out of town trips to Houston...but it was well worth it and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat! It was a struggle too, as I live on ssi--my sons were a blessing to me and still are....
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Most of the posters have already said it best. Do your research darlin' and discuss with the surgeon which option is right for you, your goals and your long term success.

I am a 4yr post op of RNY.

My best advice I give to our patients that we see is utilize the psychologist, take ADVANTAGE of the time with them and make more appointments if necessary. The emotional affect of OBESITY is not understood fully in today's programs and it is not fully dug into by the patient or their team post op.

For me after losing the first 80lbs and I was young and naive and couldn't understand why the heck I wasn't happy???? It was because my unhappiness wasn't a result of my obesity, my obesity was a result of my unhappiness. I had to do a lot of work in my head before I was good to go in my head and able to love myself no matter what I weighed.

For those that post %'s and statitics - I would pay light attention to those simply because every BODY is very different and all surgical options will work if you work them and decide to defy the statitics.

Best of luck!
    Sal
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass and could not be happier. I have had no complications. :) Will be 1 year out on March 30th.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass and could not be happier. I have had no complications. :) Will be 1 year out on March 30th.

4years out on March 30th! Hi Surgery Sister :)