Where you're at and where you wanna be.

Options
Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
I'm 46(grumble) 6'3" 235-240 lbs. Here are my lifts right now. (hamstring pull and hadn't done new maxes on squats in a while)
Raw
Bench - 385 want twice body weight 480-500
Squat - 475 want 550-600
Deadlift - 505 want 600+
Strict OHP -230 want 275
Incline bench - 340 want 405

I'm finding at my age that Crossfit may be better for me, but my heart will always be a power monger lifter.
Crossfit mixed in with powerlifting is helping a good bit with the lifts. They seem to be steadily moving up.

Replies

• littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Im about to be 22 5'8 230lbs here probly 10 lbs of fat that is unnecessary ive been lifting for about 6 years seriously atleast 4 of those with competing...
    Raw no belt no wraps ect.
    Bench 345(this was a few months ago im hoping to hit a better one soon)
    squat low fives want a solid six i know i can hit every week
    deadlift conventional style 630 hoping to break 650 soon
    Ohp not 100percent sure but my strict seated barbell is probably 250 ...just did 225 for sets and reps today this i want as heavy as possible ed coan style
    incline bench ...probably 315 or so not sure havent maxed on it lately
    atlas stone 385 of course i want a 400
    log press 285 havent worked on it lately as ive been training gym lifts...of course i want more
    front squat 455 i want as much as possible

I will always be a strongman,powerlifter first but ofcourse i want some size and shape and when i look in the mirror i see a young underdeveloped body ...no matter what numbers i get i will want more and im always training...as Mark Bell likes to say if your not getting any stronger your getting weaker - and after all i have death before weakness tattooed on my back
  • carlwhitley
    Options
    I don't compete and I don't think I ever will. I lift for strength in rugby,

I'm 5' 9" and weigh 18st 3lbs ( 255lbs), but I'm currently losing weight and want to lose another 25-30lbs.

After various injuries; all rugby related, I've started lifting again. Both MCLs ruptured, right PCL ruptured, right ACL stretched (thankfully, no rupture), various cartilage injuries. And the occasional dislocated shoulder. Fun sport.

I followed the Stronglifts 5x5 and I'm now on week 2 of the Madcow programme.

Bench press - 4 months ago just the oly bar was giving me too much pain in my shoulder. I'm now at 225lb and aiming to progress to 315lb. (2 plates to 3 plates)
    OHP - 4 months ago, again, the bar was too painful due to shouler ROM issues. I'm now at 135lb and aiming to progress to 185lb (1 plate to 1.5 plates)
    Squat - I had an 8 week physio course that allowed me to walk downstairs pain-free and return to rugby. I'm now at 315lb and I'm aiming to get to 405lb. (3 plates to 4 plates).
    Deadlift - again, with the physio course, my legs are coming back to strength. My deadlift is weak compared to my squat and I have the same aims - 315lb - 405lb (3 - 4 plates).

I lift raw - no straps, no belt, no chalk etc. All of the weights are for 5 reps. As I play rugby and my aim is rugby, I'm not massively interested in 1RM stuff.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, 5'10", 208 lbs.

Current totally raw:

OHP: 175
    Bench: 235
    Deadlift: 405
    Squat: 395

Fortunately, my grip is slowly starting to catch up to the rest of me, and I'm hoping to be able to pull my 495 deadlift PR with no straps in the near future...then again, it's likely that by then my PR with straps will be more like 545. No sense in letting these tiny raptor claw hands keep me from increasing the lower back strength. ;)

ETA: the overhead is standing. I avoid sitting/laying for anything other than bench work.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    29yo. 30 at the end of June. :)
    6'0", 90.4kg

Squat: 150kg
    Bench: 105kg
    Deadlift: 210kg

Train almost exclusively for powerlifting, more seriously for the last 15 or so months. I compete and will do for a while i think. Also looking to get into strongman in the future. Most likely second half of year. most definately the entire SM season next year.

Had a lot of trouble with the squat, finding the groove that best suited me took some time and some mucking around with my coach. being of "lanky" proportions (legs much longer than torso) i'm not overly suited to it at all, but i Will squat 200kg+ or snap in half trying. but i've got it now. :p and its been rising ever since. Also have long arms, hence hitting 200kg + deadlift relatively quickly. Though it has stalled out a little in recent months with my heavy focus on squatting.

Aesthetically i've never been vein in the slightest. :p
    until more recently i've started wanting to look like i can lift what i can. a few guys getting around my gym now that "look" stronger than me...annoying a little. haha. but its just as annoying for them to be out lifted each week too! first world problems.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I know I will never be where I was 15 years ago, but I'm giving it a shot. I would like to get back to the same amounts but at 50 lbs. lighter in body weight. All I can say to the younger lifters is protect your joints and lift correctly. Never stop learning about your sport. I grew up with no guidance in lifting and am paying for it. I have changed most of my lifts over to the correct way.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I know I will never be where I was 15 years ago, but I'm giving it a shot. I would like to get back to the same amounts but at 50 lbs. lighter in body weight. All I can say to the younger lifters is protect your joints and lift correctly. Never stop learning about your sport. I grew up with no guidance in lifting and am paying for it. I have changed most of my lifts over to the correct way.

One thing I learned early on was to find what works best for me. I'd watch these asinine form check videos, try to emulate what I was 'supposed' to be doing, and all it did was make me hurt like hell. Brought my bench grip in closer, all shoulder pain was gone. Brought my squat stance in closer, hips quit hurting. Stopped trying to force my back to stay completely straight when deadlifting, back and hip pain went away.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

One thing I learned early on was to find what works best for me. I'd watch these asinine form check videos, try to emulate what I was 'supposed' to be doing, and all it did was make me hurt like hell. Brought my bench grip in closer, all shoulder pain was gone. Brought my squat stance in closer, hips quit hurting. Stopped trying to force my back to stay completely straight when deadlifting, back and hip pain went away.

Not promoting it but crossfit workouts have made things a lot better for me where joint and pain issues are concerned. Flexibility,mobility, and strengthening muscle around the joints are a product of crossfit workouts. I think one of my biggest problems was I stopped lifting for 12 years and when I started back I was in a hurry to move up in weight.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Not promoting it but crossfit workouts have made things a lot better for me where joint and pain issues are concerned. Flexibility,mobility, and strengthening muscle around the joints are a product of crossfit workouts. I think one of my biggest problems was I stopped lifting for 12 years and when I started back I was in a hurry to move up in weight.

The more I read about and see the evolution of CrossFit, the less I hate it. Yeah, they still have some retarded coaches, but that's every kind of sport and every kind of training. It's definitely coming into it's own, and most importantly, it's tapping into a base of potential lifters that may never have given strict powerlifting, oly lifting, or even strongman more than a passing glance.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

The more I read about and see the evolution of CrossFit, the less I hate it. Yeah, they still have some retarded coaches, but that's every kind of sport and every kind of training. It's definitely coming into it's own, and most importantly, it's tapping into a base of potential lifters that may never have given strict powerlifting, oly lifting, or even strongman more than a passing glance.

Theres a lot of power lifters doing crossfit now. Some big name guys too. I gave it a chance before I made an opinion on it. These guys can lift pretty heavy, do it quickly, and hit another set real quick with no rest time. Imagine being strong, fast and be able to endure with your stamina not giving out. There was a little feud going on about who were the best athletes and power lifting didn't like hearing that. I look at it like power lifters are the strongest lifters, strongmen are the strongest people and crossfit has the overall best athletes. Whatever sport you do crossfit can help. MMA fighters do it, military does it, power lifters do it now. It will help you in your lifts. I know because I'm seeing results with my own lifts.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Theres a lot of power lifters doing crossfit now. Some big name guys too. I gave it a chance before I made an opinion on it. These guys can lift pretty heavy, do it quickly, and hit another set real quick with no rest time. Imagine being strong, fast and be able to endure with your stamina not giving out. There was a little feud going on about who were the best athletes and power lifting didn't like hearing that. I look at it like power lifters are the strongest lifters, strongmen are the strongest people and crossfit has the overall best athletes. Whatever sport you do crossfit can help. MMA fighters do it, military does it, power lifters do it now. It will help you in your lifts. I know because I'm seeing results with my own lifts.

I would still put strongman at the very top of the pile in the three, honestly. I have never seen anyone with the kind of conditioning, flexibility, and overall strength that most of those guys have, let alone the actual elite within it. It's unreal. As much as I hate to admit it, powerlifters (in general) are definitely at the bottom of those three, so far as overall physical ability goes. The biggest thing that turned me off to the commercial CrossFit programs at first, is the fact that it's been fairly well documented that people who dominate in the CF games don't use commercial CF to train. It reeks of a kind of dishonesty to me.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Most strongmen are power lifters that have added all these different lifts from strongman comp. to their workouts. Crossfit uses power lifters workouts to their own. Power lifting is the father of all of these sports. Crossfit takes from all types and made their own sport. The strongman,power lifting and Olympic lifting type lifts in crossfit. As for the strongman being the best overall its up for argument. Mariusz Pudzianowski is the only one I can think that is lean enough and strong enough to be close to the best athlete. The heavy 350-450 guys aren't to good with the cardio.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The only big powerlifter I can think of that does crossfit would be AJ Roberts. And he's not competing in powerlifting at this time.

Strongmen get the most respect from me. They're in better shape than most powerlifters in terms of conditioning. And they're so well rounded. They excel at multiple lifts instead of just waddling up to a rack in mutliply gear....

Right now I'm around 385/235/500. I'd like to end up around 500/300/600 in a few years.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I like the lean power lifters now, not the over weight ones. Same in strongmen, the leaner ones are the future in all these sports.
    I could balloon up to 300 lbs of bw and lift a 100 lbs more on all 3 lifts but thats not healthy for me. I could gain 5 lbs. of body weight in the gym and theres a difference in strength. True overall pound for pound strength is what I seek. I would definitely like to lift what I did when I weighed 270 but be at 220 of body weight. Thats just me though. I love watching all 3 sports myself.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I like the lean power lifters now, not the over weight ones. Same in strongmen, the leaner ones are the future in all these sports.
    I could balloon up to 300 lbs of bw and lift a 100 lbs more on all 3 lifts but thats not healthy for me. I could gain 5 lbs. of body weight in the gym and theres a difference in strength. True overall pound for pound strength is what I seek. I would definitely like to lift what I did when I weighed 270 but be at 220 of body weight. Thats just me though. I love watching all 3 sports myself.

I agree with you completely. If you actually look at the REALLY good powerlifters, there are very few fat ones. The best of all time, imo, Ed Coan wasn't exactly a tank *kitten*, neither is KK, Rhino, Capt Kirk, JL, etc. In fact, the only fat one that I can think of that's currently worth a damn is Benni.
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Most strongmen are power lifters that have added all these different lifts from strongman comp. to their workouts. Crossfit uses power lifters workouts to their own. Power lifting is the father of all of these sports. Crossfit takes from all types and made their own sport. The strongman,power lifting and Olympic lifting type lifts in crossfit. As for the strongman being the best overall its up for argument. Mariusz Pudzianowski is the only one I can think that is lean enough and strong enough to be close to the best athlete. The heavy 350-450 guys aren't to good with the cardio.

this can get very technical Zilla after all power lifting is a spinoff of olympic liftings odd accessory lifts, then you have strongman who were showing off way before the oly guys....so then its kinda mingled between bodybuilding and oldtime strongmen and no matter how you look at it the oldtime bodybuilder/strongman since they were the same thing back in the day is the father of all of this today, 99 percent of us started lifting because of arnold....but yes powerlifting is the foundation to all of today's modern heavy athletics speaking of heavy athletics....almost every culture had some sort of man hood stone or early strength challenge back in the day....before the bench press there was rocks and wood.....just bustin your balls lol and its a toss up between pudzian and sigmarson for the best overall strength athlete
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    2/15/13 - Current lifts in lbs (calculated 1RM):
    bench press 100 X 5 (116.5) - I want 185
    deadlift 225 X 2 (240) - I want 365
    overhead press 70 X 2 (75) - I'd be psyched to get 100
    squat 155 X 3 (170.5) - I want 315

I finally quit screwing around and started training like a grown *kitten* woman, and hit two PRs this week. Eating and supplementing right, too. Need to start thinking more about cutting weight down to competition level and then getting off the sidelines. Happy with my current lifts, and super happy that I can deload next week.

What happens if I hit my goal weights? I'll just want more.
  • katherinepolumbo
    Options
    Age 30, female, weight 135.

Current maxes (as of my first powerlifting meet, which was 2 weeks ago). Have been Squatting and DLing for about 4.5 months, bench for 3.5 months.

Squat: 170# (have hit 175 before in gym though)
    Bench: 85# (have hit 90 one time ever and failed at it ever since then!)
    Deadlift: 225# (went up easy)

Goals:

Squat goal: 1.5 x body weight, which would be 202#
    Deadlift goal 1: 1.75 x body weight, which would be just under 240# (close to it!)
    Deadlift goal 2: 2 x body weight, which would be 270#
    Bench goal 1: Get 2 25# plates on the bar, 95#!
    Bench goal 2: 1 x bodyweight, which would be 135# (this goal will probably take me the longest to achieve)

I also have the goal to lose 5 to 10 lbs of body fat (and get myself into the 132# weight class which I just barely missed) so my above goals will change slightly as my body weight changes.

It's interesting to hear you all talk about crossfit! I have been thinking about giving it a try. I have not been able to find any type of powerlifting gyms or training places in the area (Nashville) and I just train alone at the YMCA. Have been giving trying crossfit some serious thought.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    My lifting partner is female and I've trained her for a year now.
    She is 40 years old and also does crossfit with me.
    Her lifts are:

Bench - 145 lbs.
    Incline - 115 lbs.
    OHP - 85 lbs.
    Squat - 205
    Dead lift - 260
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I want a 500lb bench, 600lb squat, 600 pound deadlift and 275 sounds good for the OHP(I never really set a big goal for that)
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Current age: 33
    Weight: 345
    Bench: 255
    Squat: 550
    Deadlift: 550
    OHP: 200

Goals:

300+ on bench
    600 squat
    600 deadlift
    250 OHP

My real goal isn't really to get too much stronger, but just to get better for the highland games and balance my arms out (since most of the throws are one handed, I've been considerably stronger in my right arm than my left)

Current records for highland games events:

16 lb stone throw: 35 feet
    28 lb weight for distance: 52 feet
    56 lb weight for distance: 25 feet
    56 lb weight for height: 13 feet
    22 lb hammer throw: 72 feet

I'm hoping to bust all those records this year.