Help With Lunch!

Options
I'm a part time accountant and basically work the first 2 weeks of the month doing book closings. It's very tedious work and my days can be very long. I try to have a decent protein breakfast before I leave home. Usually, around 12-2 p.m., I dig out of my paperwork and find myself suddenly starving (I know, poor planning on my part). I have two college student sons still at home, so leftovers just don't happen. If I fix more, they eat more! I do fix salads, but I get sick of salads after bringing them all the time. I'm surrounded by the usual fast-food places, which can be very tempting. Today, I walked to the hospital cafeteria and my best choice was a bowl of chili, which had mostly beans and very little meat - too many carbs for me I'm sure. I'm disappointed in myself for not planning better, but I'm so darned tired when I get home! I'm looking for quick and easy lunch suggestions that don't involve salads! I have access to a refrigerator and a microwave. I guess I could take a can of protein powder to leave in my drawer and mix with water - somehow, that doesn't sound very appealing! Any ideas???? Thanks so much!

Replies

• PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I keep the following in my mini frigde at work
    Pepperoni slices
    Deli meats
    Sting cheese
    Atkins Bars
    Hard Boiled Eggs
    Canned Tuna
    mayo :)
  • jmdesrochers
    jmdesrochers Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Love those Bumblebee easy peel tuna cups (lemon pepper is my fave), they are shelf stable and delish. I also second the notion of just rolling some nitrate/hormone free uncured deli meats around cheese slices, maybe add some olives and/or hard boiled eggs and do sort of a plowman's picnic luncheon. Good luck!
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks, great ideas! I did put a bag of almonds in my drawer and some Quest bars. The hospital next door has a decent salad bar, but not too much in the way of protein. I may start bringing some ham or turkey. I also don't trust their salad dressings! I like the tuna cup idea. I'm heading to the grocery store soon and will look for those. Need to get some string cheese, too.
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried about looking for just protein so much, IMHO you should be looking for fatty things, that's what makes LCHF work. Upping protein is easy, upping your fat is hard! In a pinch, fast food burgers w/out bun & ketchup works fine. Keep individual packets of almonds handy. Salads with no croutons, add full fat dressings. Babybel cheese travels well. I bring bacon to work with me, in plastic bags (wrap in paper towels to make easier to handle). If you do cold cuts, make sure to have mayo handy.

Good luck
  • Clownfish423
    Options
    I totally agree with adding fatty things - I'm just trying to shy away from fast foods/processed foods in general and want things I can throw in my lunch box (it's a big one). I've never had Babybel cheese. Will have to try that. :smile:
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is what I take when I travel, it holds up for over a day. If you have time to cook the bacon, you're golden!

f25wky.jpg
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I agree with leftoverbun - pick high fat items. I too have traveled wit bacon and almonds!
    They make fully cooked bacon that doesn't even need refrigeration. Keep a package of that available.
    The new Atkins frozen meals are surprisingly good, and have great macros.
  • Clownfish423
    Options
    Great visual! I love pictures! Those cocoa almonds are good...I forgot about those.

I do like the Atkins meals. I was thrilled when my local Publix started carrying them!