These are my personal tips on how I lost 88 pounds

Options
What You Need To Do First:
Before you can start your weight loss journey,you need to do this very thing.You have to get real with you self.The way that you feal about your self and the way you think about food.I mean that you must be willing to utterly change the way you think and feel about those things.You chose the behavior you have.Meaning you choose the conseqences,so you must start choosing differently right here right now.If you don't have a pure and healthy love and reguard for your self,how can you expect anyone else too.You can't change what you don't acknowledge.From here on out you need to be an open book.No more being in denial.Once you have done that then you are ready.

Tips:
1.Eliminate everything from your diet that you have been eating,that has kept you over weight.Like sugary foods and drinks.Fatty foods,and foods high in sodium,but you don't have to completely stop eating them.Just long enough to cleanse your body of all the toxins from those foods.You can eat those foods again,as long as you don't over indulge.The key in (self control).If you are having trouble with that,then you should hold off on eating these foods until you can control you self.It takes a bit to gain control,but once you do,you can pretty much eat what ever you want with in reason.Meaning don't make it a habit.
2.Try not to make sugar apart of your everyday diet.Once in a while is ok.Drink tea like green or black tea with 1/4 cup of sugar for the whole pitcher.These teas are great for weight loss and are a great fat burner.Also drink plenty of water.
3.Eat fiber.Things like leafy greens,veggies,fruits (especialy bananas),rice,oats,nuts,and seeds,and beans,
4.Eat plenty of protein.Things like peanut butter,string cheese,yogurt,lean meats,scrambled eggs,and beans.Protein keeps your blood sugar levels at a normal rate all day.Keeping you from going into hunger mode.You don't want that to happen because you will over eat,and you will gain weight.
5.Eat some starch.Things like baked potatoes,certain veggies,ect.These foods will curb your appitite through out the day.
6.Calories.Keep your calorie intake at about 1600 calories a day.Don't worry you can still eat plenty of food and not feel deprived.The key is to eat plenty of food without all the unwanted empty calories.Believe me if I had to starve my self then I would have given up along time ago.To maintain your wight you need to have a calorie intake of 2,000 calories.A person can only burn 2,000 calories a day without being active.The more active you are the more calories you need,because your body has to have fuel to burn.To gain a pound you have to have a calorie intake of 3500 calories a day.To lose a pound a week you need to reduce you calorie intake by 500 calories.1600 is still good for starting out.I would'nt go any lower then 1400 calories.
7.Portion size.This is another key to success.Eat from a small plate.Eating from a smaller plate makes the portion sizes look bigger.The thruth is,it plays tricks on you eyes and brain.It makes you think that you are eating alot when your really not,and you get a satisfied feeling.
8.Weigh in once a week.Keep a journal of each weigh in.
9.Keep a log of everything you eat everyday and how many calories you ate for that day.
10.Keep you self active,but only at a level you are comfortable at.Don't push your self to hard.
11.Join a weight loss group online.Groups are a great support.
12.Goals.You need to make small goals and try to achieve them,but don't force your self to get to them.Take it slow.All you have to do it try.
13.Don't beat your self up for making a mistake.This is not a quick fix,this is now a life style choice.Losing weight is only half the battle.Keeping it off is where you win or lose.You need to set a goal weight you want to achieve,but allow a good amount of time to acheive that.
14.Have a plan.Having a plan on how you are gonna keep the weight off you lost,and maintaining your new weight is what you need to be thinking about.Don't do it at the last second.Plan ahead.You can do this.
15.Always keep positive.
16.Have a good support system.

Things you need to know is that thier are many factors that come into play when losing wieght.Like age,health,metabolisum,and body type.Don't go to extremes when losing weight.Talk to your DR. to make sure that what you are doing is safe and right for you.

Replies

• JasonKoverman
    JasonKoverman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nice post, but I have to disagree with a few of your points. First off, you really shouldn't generally state that people should eat 1600 calories a day, because people range in size and this could be significantly below a lot of peoples BMR (my BMR is about 2200 calories and my sedentary tdee is about 2550 for example). Also, you shouldn't state to cut out all fats as not all fats are bad. In fact, fats are necessary. This is just perpetuating the stereotype that all fats are bad. Cut out saturated fats and keep the good fats. We ddon't want to tell people that the likes of beef, pork and nuts are bad after all. The only other thing is that I believe you should push yourself. Don't get used to a routine because your body can get used to that and stop reacting to it. Push yourself to lift 5 more pounds or push one more rep or run for one more minute. This is how we build muscle and endurance and make ourselves better. This is just my 2 cents. Other than those items, this is a great post and a lot of good guidelines to people starting out.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss, unfortunately I too disagree with several points in the post. Points 1, 6, 7, 8, 10. The rest are good.
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 88 pounds!

I, too, wouldn't suggest everyone eat no more than 1600 calories. 1600 calories is too low for someone whose BMR is higher than that. My BMR is approximately 1500, but 1600 calories would be a higher percentage cut from my TDEE than I'd like. I'm currently eating a healthy 20% from my TDEE (without exercise, due to a badly sprained ankle :( ), and that puts me at 1726 calories per day.

I agree with JasonKoverman that not all fats are bad. Healthy fats are essential in our diet. It would be better to choose healthy fats over unhealthy fats than to cut out fats entirely. Also, I prefer to eat from a larger plate but measure my portions accordingly. I can put 2 cups of macaroni and cheese on a small plate just as easily as a large plate, and neither serving would be great. But, to each their own! Just my two cents! :)
  • janelleduah
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! I also have to disagree with some points. 1600 calories is a very arbitrary number and as EM2WL members we should emphasize eating to support a healthy metabolism depending on your individual TDEE and the appropriate cuts...no 'one size fits all '1600. Along those lines, if you know your 'TDEE- cut ' caloric value and are journaling your food intake, portion control should be a secondary effect. Also I personally believe that added sugars are unnecessary and good fats are necessary (Paleo lifestyle) so try drinking tea plain and focus on getting your fat from avocados, nuts, grassfed meats, coconut products, animal fats, and olive oil; you'll be surprised at how doable it is. Starches also actually don't curb your appetite. They provide quick energy for workouts but proteins and fats are the most important for satiety as they take longer to digest. And lastly, about not pushing yourself, heavy lifting is all about pushing yourself; lifting the heaviest you can and pushing yourself to do more and lift heavier. Complacency and settling into a routine, especially an exercise routine, is a huge no-no. How else will you see progress?
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss, unfortunately I too disagree with several points in the post. Points 1, 6, 7, 8, 10. The rest are good.

congrats! and yeah, not agreeing on a handful of your points.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! But agree with the others.
  • inspirationalmom32
    Options
    I'm not saying that anyone should do that.I'm saying that thats what worked for me.I also say in this that none should do things because thats what someone else is doing.I say do what works for you and stick with it.Not what works for one person will work for you and you should talk to your doctor first,
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that anyone should do that.I'm saying that thats what worked for me.I also say in this that none should do things because thats what someone else is doing.I say do what works for you and stick with it.Not what works for one person will work for you and you should talk to your doctor first,

I disagree. You are indeed recommending we follow your advice. That's what a 'tip' is--advice. And your wording is 'You need to/should', not 'This list of things worked for me.'

That being said I congratulate you on your success!
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Well done on the loss. But next time please consider how your post might come across, especially if it's marketed as a "tips" post.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss.

I would encourage you to read through the stickies and/or visit www.eatmore2weighless.com. People have various needs when it comes to calorie consumption and there are calculators available to help people calculate what they need. Unfortunately when you throw out numbers, people cling to that whether it's right for their body or not. Please be careful with that.

Also, while I get what you're saying about needing to avoid certain foods in order to break addiction to them (I think that's your point), the way it's worded is very close to the "diet mentality" of avoiding food groups. In EM2WL, healthy eating is emphasized and so is eating within your macros. So if my piece of dark chocolate fits into my macros for the day, I'm going to eat it. I eat how I want to eat for the rest of my life, except a little bit less when I'm eating at CUT.

EM2WL emphasizes a sustainable lifestyle. Unfortunately, much of your list comes across as the same old "do's" and "dont's". That's why I suggested you might want to read through the information in this group, so you can understand what it is EM2WL teaches as a healthy way to lose and maintain weight.
  • inspirationalmom32
    Options
    I don't think that eveery one is listening to what I'm saying.I'm not telling anyone to do anything.I'm only showing what has worked for me.I'm not encouraging anyone to do what I'm doing.My moto is do what works for you and stick with it.
  • inspirationalmom32
    Options
    I know that everyone has different needs with certain issuses...I don't want anyone to follow me if thats not right for them.
  • JasonKoverman
    JasonKoverman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    And all that we are saying is that some of the items in your post totally contradict with what this group stands for. A newbie coming across your post could easily take it as the right approach and really screw stuff up for themselves, so it is very important to watch what you post as "tips".