Any other doctoral students?

Options
bgh707
bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
Hey everyone! I just started my Ph.D. in Ancient Judaism/Rabbinic Literature and I'm loving it! Any other Ph.D.s here?

Replies

• SarahJane139
    SarahJane139 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very cool! I'm in the same boat - a medical student working on my MD. It is hard to diet with so much to learn. Nothing is more comforting than studying with a double-mocha-fattening-something to sip on but it's time to get healthy
  • SoonerVet
    Options
    DVM (veterinary) - 3rd year. Wish I had more time to work out! and I agree... it's hardest with late night study sessions.
  • maria_isoldina
    Options
    Hi! I am finishing my doctoral degree in Business by May 2013! I've gained 10 pounds in the last 5 months, probably because I was so nervous about the job market... Well, now that I got I job, I need all the extra weight! May is graduation and my wedding ;)
    Please feel free to add me as your friend.
  • brittanyg820
    brittanyg820 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a first year PhD Chemistry student. How do you guys find the time to do everything required of you for school AND get on here and log everything? lol And where do you fit in exercise? Not sure if your schedules are like mine, but I work about 12 hours a day on weekdays. This site will give me the organization I need to track my food intake, most definitely.
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be graduating in May 2013 with my PhD in Education. Just landed a job too! Now to finish the dissertation! I work 12-15 hr days and always work on one weekend day for 6-8 hours.

I log after every meal and snack. I have the app on my phone and iPad as well as the site bookmarked on all of my computers, no excuse not to log that way! I workout in the mornings and shower at the gym, it helps me keep myself going to bed at a sensible hour too when I'm waking up at 5:30 a.m. I've started doing a second 20-30 minute free weight and cardio combo video a few nights a week as well. I had to start scheduling it in my day (its actually in my electronic calendar on all devices) and being very protective of my workout time, not allowing it to get cancelled for anything that wasn't a legit emergency.
  • brittanyg820
    brittanyg820 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to get really organized with this, like you! Congrats on graduating this coming May! Good luck with everything!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I just started my PhD in Bioinformatics this year, it's definitely a lot to manage!! I had already lost all my weight and gotten myself deeply obsessed with health/fitness/myfitnesspal over the 9 months before I started grad school so it is a lot more of a habit now for me. I think my best advice is to just find something you enjoy and to make loggin in a habit. Get some friends on here that you like and you'll want to log on to see what they're up to and to chat :) I'd love any other friends doing PhD's as buddies!! Feel free to add me... 5'8", 22 yo, heavy lifter, eat a lot, pretty knowledgeable on health and fitness, positive and been on here almost a year!
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just saw this thread. I'm a 2nd year PhD student in communication. I'm gonna add you all. Hope you don't mind.

What does your diet look like? I'm struggling with it... I sometimes have 12-hour days at the office (plus more work waiting for me once I get home) and I just slip and get some Mac&Cheese from Whole Foods or - even worse - a burger and fries to comfort my self-pitty... Also, I don't eat breakfast because I don't want to spend that time on a busy morning. I know these are all just excuses, but I haven't found a way that works for me just yet...
  • maria_isoldina
    Options
    You guys have been working a lot! I feel very sluggish now, can't concentrate on my dissertation, haven't been working at all in the past two weeks... hope things will change otherwise I will never finish my degree!!!!
    Please add me as your friend - let's keep each other motivated!
    Happy new year!
  • eismcsquared
    Options
    I am a doctoral student in ChemEng... so I can relate to the long hours! I just started on this site, but I have found using the ipod app to be very helpful... just scan stuff in as I eat/prepare food. I definitely do the whole comfort food thing too, or ordering takeout with study groups (luckily my classes are behind me now). I am going to try to avoid eating out when I can, especially fast food!
  • 789L
    789L Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm a first year PhD student in philosophy. I've always found it easy to lose/gain weight but very difficult to maintain. During stressful times I either restrict or binge but this past year I've been trying really hard to change that. Looking for some support. Feel free to add me!
  • nadia_in_mtl
    Options
    Last year of PhD here. I am determined to succeed in my weight loss and fitness goals despite the stress of finishing experiments, submitting manuscripts and writing my thesis. I am looking for grad student MFP buddies who understand our lifestyle!
  • QuitoBandito
    QuitoBandito Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Veterinary medicine, so I guess that counts (at least when I move back to the states!). I'm in my fourth year, and the stress makes dieting so very hard!
  • soserene
    soserene Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a 2nd year PhD in Behavioral Sciences. My biggest issue is getting motivated to get to the gym with soooo much work to do. Also - we're a pretty social cohort and eating out/grabbing a glass of wine is taking it's toll. Time to focus!
  • hitomimay
    Options
    1st year PhD in Urban Education Policy. I find myself having to work/read/study while at the gym. Occasionally cheat and sneak in some Netflix here and there :P
  • tronner01
    Options
    I'm in my first year of a PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology. I've been a stress and emotional eater for a long time now, and let's just say that grad school isn't helping the problem. I'm trying to be more active though, and find that the act of logging food changes the way that I eat. I would love more grad student friends, so please feel free to add me.
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's nice to see others in the same boat, so to speak. I am going to add some of you to my roster of friends. Feel free to add me, too. I am on my 5th year of a Ph.D. program in Higher Education. (Yes, there is a degree in Higher Education.) I am just writing, writing, writing these days, but making time for workouts. I got tired of physically feeling terrible and make time for working out, cooking, and eating well. Sure, I pay the price, but I got tired of postponing caring for myself.

I hope this message finds you well! Ph.D. or bust!
  • kam10488
    kam10488 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a first year sociology PhD student. It gets hard to organize my meals and find time to work out with school. On days I know I won't have time to make it to the gym, I do mat work in my apartment and try to take the stairs to my office (on the seventh floor). The app is definitely the most convenient method for calorie counting I've found while in school! Please feel free to add me. I could certainly use other graduate student weight loss friends.
  • magpie525
    magpie525 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First year Political Science PhD. This site definitely helps me keep perspective on my diet and exercise levels, as well as remind me that I'm resorting to bars for too many meals. Feel free to add me; it always helps to have others to keep us motivated and on track (in grad school and in life).
  • Pyrite79
    Pyrite79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    2nd Year PhD student in Education. Full time student, part time teaching, and mom -- 2 great kids. I'm not managing my stress or my study time very well and am hoping to find helpful tips and maybe a sympathetic ear.