HBA1C Results

Options
2»

Replies

• MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, take all precautions and having the right doctor(s) will make a huge difference. I was diagnosed from a routine check-up, because I found my mother in the hospital with kidney and heart failure from diabetes complications. My doctor yesterday after realizing I was down 21 lbs from my visit in December was ecstatic.

I was on meds briefly, but now off them. In a months time I brought down my HbA1C from 7.2 down to 6.8. I'll find out what it is now next week, and hoping to have it closer to normal range.

You can reverse the possibility of complications, but the disease will always exist.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You will never ever be cured of diabetes. You can however controll it for the rest of your life. An example of why you can never be cured. Lets say you get your blood sugars down to 70, it stays there, you finally are off the meds. still eating good. Then you have that piece of bread, or pizza crust.. Wammo, your sugar will shoot right back up there cuz there is no cure.. just managing it (controlling it)
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, you've all officially scared me :frown:

Went in for my fasting BG test today as a follow up to my A1C... here's hoping they have better news for me.

As far as a doctor, I am in New Zealand on a temporary visa that does not allow me to access their health system without paying everything out of pocket, so the less time and money spent at the doctor the better. I am exercising 6 days a week and eating a low GL diet along with losing weight. This is really the best I can do at this time.

God I hope I don't have some of those other things as well... I'm about ready to cry. I appreciate the honesty from everyone but I think I am more scared now than before :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Whenever I tell new healthcare providers that I have diabetes their response is always "You don't fit the general profile of someone who would have diabetes" I guess the perception is you have to extremely overweight, out of shape and lazy.

I really like this....from Blood Sugar 101...
    While people who have diabetes are often heavy, one out of five people diagnosed with diabetes are thin or normal weight. And though heavy people with diabetes are, indeed, likely to be insulin resistant, the majority of people who are overweight will never develop diabetes. In fact, they will not develop diabetes though they are likely to be just as insulin resistant as those who do--or even more so.
  • shaldra
    Options
    I was serious over weight and had a fbs of 75, a 2 hr OGTT value of 60 and a HbA1c of 6.0. Drove doctors crazy. They drove me crazy. So go forward 6 years, fbs still under 100 (97) but HbA1c was 8.5. New doctors said type 2 diabetic, take meds, lose wt and change life style. In particular try to reduce stress levels and change eating habits. This time I had found a primary doctor who really understood the type of problems one confronts when trying to change lifestyle and lose weight as well as when confronted with more than one physical problem at the same time (weight, diabetes, kidney stones, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diviticulosis) and significant food allergies that made diet changes a challenge. Now 100 plus pounds lighter, while off a whole lot of meds, I am still a diabetic (though diet controlled) and while my Hb1Ac levels run between 4.8 and 5.5, my fbs are usually 100 to 105 and no one wants to run a OGTT after the last one 6 yrs ago. Things are better and I try to stay away from stuff that I should not eat and from things that stress me out and at the moment life is pretty good. One can only try.:smile:
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was serious over weight and had a fbs of 75, a 2 hr OGTT value of 60 and a HbA1c of 6.0. Drove doctors crazy. They drove me crazy. So go forward 6 years, fbs still under 100 (97) but HbA1c was 8.5. New doctors said type 2 diabetic, take meds, lose wt and change life style. In particular try to reduce stress levels and change eating habits. This time I had found a primary doctor who really understood the type of problems one confronts when trying to change lifestyle and lose weight as well as when confronted with more than one physical problem at the same time (weight, diabetes, kidney stones, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diviticulosis) and significant food allergies that made diet changes a challenge. Now 100 plus pounds lighter, while off a whole lot of meds, I am still a diabetic (though diet controlled) and while my Hb1Ac levels run between 4.8 and 5.5, my fbs are usually 100 to 105 and no one wants to run a OGTT after the last one 6 yrs ago. Things are better and I try to stay away from stuff that I should not eat and from things that stress me out and at the moment life is pretty good. One can only try.:smile:

I just wanted to say "good for you"! :) I can relate -- I have major food allergies too which make it a real challenge to feed myself. And when I was diagnosed with type 2 my liver and kidney labs were not good but fortunately my doctor gave me some time and I managed to change my diet and lose weight and get my labs back normal in time to avoid medication.

I also had high cholesterol (high triglycerides and low HDL) and slightly high blood pressure, but I've turned all that around too.

My diabetes recovery was also complicated by other health problems. I am recovering from colitis/IBS and still undiagnosed gastrointestinal problems.

I'm determined to continue to keep my type 2 diabetes well conquered and under control with just diet and exercise. Hearing other people's stories really inspires me! :)
  • vpenning
    vpenning Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well, you've all officially scared me :frown:

Went in for my fasting BG test today as a follow up to my A1C... here's hoping they have better news for me.

As far as a doctor, I am in New Zealand on a temporary visa that does not allow me to access their health system without paying everything out of pocket, so the less time and money spent at the doctor the better. I am exercising 6 days a week and eating a low GL diet along with losing weight. This is really the best I can do at this time.

God I hope I don't have some of those other things as well... I'm about ready to cry. I appreciate the honesty from everyone but I think I am more scared now than before :sad: :sad: :sad:

Sometimes, it takes being a little scared in order to make the changes you need to get the best health you can. I would try and see if there are avenues for you to see a doctor. As around...I would talk with doctors offices and hospitals for suggestions. I am sure you are not the only person in the area that has ever had that problem, and there may be agencies that you can contact.

And, yes, we are being honest because diabetes is SERIOUS. This is NOT about just losing weight and you will be fine. This is a disease that can and does cause complications. It does kill. In 2004 alone, 3.4 million people died from high blood glucose. 50% of diabetics will die of either heart attack or stroke. 2% of diabetics become blind, and 10% develop vision impairment. Up to 20% of diabetics have kidney problems, 10% serious enough to be on dialysis. 50% of diabetics have neuropathy. (All of these stats come from the World Health Organization, BTW)

The good news is that you are doing some of the things you need to do to have the best health you can. BUT, I will be honest here, unless you go out on the limb and invest in your own health and be sure you do not have retinopathy (which can often be reversed if caught in time), kidney problems, or heart issues....you may not be doing everything you can. Diet and exercise are good...but, sometimes you need other treatments....especially if you have retinopathy beginning.

I am glad that you are getting the blood work done, but if at all possible, find a way to check out your eyes, feet, heart, and kidneys. You DESERVE to have the best health, and you DESERVE to live a long and complication free life. And, you CAN!! Remember that. You are IMPORTANT! And, you need to fight the system and find a way to get the medical attention you DESERVE!