Flourless choc cake what am I doing wrong?

Options
SereneRose
SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
I'm in the UK and I use Canderel as a sweetener.
I just had two disastrous attempts at a flourless microwave in a minute chocolate cake, the first was bitter and grainy the 2nd a little less so but that's because instead of 1 tbsp of Canderel I used 3.

The recipe called for Splenda but I only have Canderel. I really want some cake and i'm following low carb so really need this to work so before I mess up a third attempt is Splenda sweeter than the other? Is that what's ruining it or something else?

This is the link to what I was attempting.
http://cake-o-cake.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/1-minute-flourless-chocolate-cupcake.html?m=1

All help appreciated.
Thanks
Serene

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Canderel is aspartame. Aspartame breaks down when heated. You need a different sweetener.

I just tried it and it's pretty good. I used 2 tbsp erythritol for the sweetener.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Thank you i'm going to buy erythritol, do I get it in liquid or packet form? There are so many to choose from and not sure which to buy.
    Cheapest place to buy?
    On Amazon it is quite expensive.

Thanks
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Sweeteners are really a personal choice. you want something that you like the taste of (some will have that icky aftertaste), and for baking, is stable for heat. Splenda is probably good enough, and should be readily available. Many folks really like stevia. Stevia and Eryithritol blends are getting popular here in the US (Truvia, Purevia). Sometimes for baking I'll mix two sweeteners to get a better result. Xyliyol and Erithritol are two I've been using of late (brands I use are Xyla and Z Sweet). These are sugar alcohols, vs artificial sweeteners. The US and Europe have each banned some sweeteners that the others can use, so it's tough to give recommendations across the pond.

Start with what is available in your area, and hopefully not too expensive. You don't want to spend too much, and then find that it has an aftertaste you just don't like. Just do a little research online for whatever you choose to see if it's used for baking.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    You've been very helpful.
    Think i'll start with Splenda and see if that gets the job done if not i'll try some of your other suggestions.

Hard to get most stuff in the UK. Coconut flour/oil, flax meal, almonds flour. All Amazon orders for me and all adds up.

Thanks again!
  • nickiboop
    nickiboop Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm from the UK as well, there seem to be a few people who sell almond flour and coconut flour on eBay and tend to be cheaper than Amazon
    Another good source tends to be large ethnic supermarkets