Do we need to stay caffeine-free?

Options
MaggyMaizy2
MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
Just wondering. I'm 6 and 1/2 months post-RNY. My weight loss has been pretty regular. I have started drinking regular coffee again, but many posts I've read have discouraged caffeine intake. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    From what I recall from my surgery team, the biggest reason they discourage caffeine is that it is a diuretic, and if you have a problem staying hydrated, as many do, it makes the problem worse. I never paid much attention, as I never drank anything with caffeine in it.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I asked my surgeon and dietitian about caffeine at my visit two weeks ago (I am four months out) and was told it is okay to do caffeine now--it was only prohibited right before and right after surgery. I don't do coffee, but I do a glass of unsweetened tea or a bottle of caffeinated Crystal Light now and again. I do notice that it does dehydrate me a little bit.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I was given the ok to have caffeine between the 3-6 month mark. I drink coffee daily and have no problems but I also drink a lot of water.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I stayed caffeine free for my first 18 months. But around the 6-9 month mark I was told it was ok. I wished I would of stayed caffeine free.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i was told just the other week acually by my dietition it helps cause constipation also! :sad:
    but it has not stopped me drinking it tho! ooops shhhh :blushing:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Gosh I hope not...I am a coffee addict. So far it hasnt seemed to cause me any issue. I do still take a daily prevacid though.
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was never told about caffeine, just carbonation.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Love my morning cup of coffee! Also was told to stay off of caffeine for a few months out of surgery, now am told to replace every cup of caffeine with a cup of water.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am 7 months out but at my 6 month visit to dietician she wanted me to stay caffeine free. I do have a regula ice tea when I am out. I am actually glad not to be drinking caffeine or carbonated drinks. I think that I feel better not having them, but it is hard to tell because of all the changes that come with the weightloss.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I usually drink Decaf coffee most of the time at home through the week but I have drank reg coffee recently a few times. I try not to though.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your words of advice and experiences. I think I'll back off for awhile and see if there's any change.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My surgeon said it can increase appetite, but I have no problems with that. I drink a lot of coffee and still maintain my weight.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee and caffeine a few months before my surgery 1/12, and I have no desire to start it back up. Before quitting caffeine, when ever I had coffee or cola w/caff products, within 30 minutes of consuming I needed to get to a bathroom to poop. I found this same phenomenon was true with my husband and now-adult daughter. I've never known it to be constipating, personally. I did find this link regarding caffeine/constipation on Livestrong.com. Bottom line ~ everybody is different. http://www.livestrong.com/article/472260-caffeine-constipation/
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    wasn't really a coffee drinker pre surgery but a few months out I tried it and liked it and it's almost a daily routine for me. I use spenda and milk in it and it hasn't seemed to bother my tummy or my weight loss.
  • rachellouise_2003
    Options
    My dietician told me yesterday that caffeine could cause strictures, or ulcers. Also causes increased appetite.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm still caffeine free unless I'm road tripping and need a buzz to stay awake. Because only drinking it occasionally, it gives good buzz :drinker:
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was cleared for coffee at a month out. They just tell me to limit it to 2 drink a day. :)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You know its funny really...I never really liked coffee before. Now I cant seem to get enough of it. Weird how so many of my tastes changed.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    I'm 11 months out from RNY and drink at least a pot of coffee a day. :drinker: