5 Mistakes Guys Make In Online Dating

Options
So I feel into a wormhole on Men's Health dating blog. I don't even know how I ended up there but I found this article about the 5 Mistakes guys Make in Online Dating. I thought it was interesting and 100% true. What do you guys think?

http://blogs.menshealth.com/girl-next-door/5-mistakes-guys-make-in-online-dating/2010/09/23/

5 Mistakes Guys Make in Online Dating

A few weeks ago, I signed up for an online dating website. I told myself I wouldn’t blog about my experiences – don’t need someone I’m chatting with to Google me and then read about himself. (I mean, honestly – wouldn’t you alter the way you behave if you knew that someone was going to pick apart your actions and words for an audience after the fact?)

But here’s the thing: You guys need this.

It’s a general rule that any moderately attractive woman on an online dating site will receive a near-avalanche of messages, winks, and IMs from men (and women!) on a pretty regular basis. So if you want to date someone you’ve found online, your first priority is to make sure you stand out from the (questionably literate) masses. And you want to do that in a positive way. Based on my brief experience so far, here are five mistakes guys make while online dating–and what to do instead.

Mistake 1: The “Wink” and “Add to Favorites”

Here’s what I think when I see a message in my inbox that says “HotGuy123 has winked at you” or “StudlyCakes555 has added you to his favorites”: Okay. Delete. Winking, or adding to favorites, is a sweet gesture in theory–it’s supposed to indicate that you think the girl is cute or interesting, or that you’ve enjoyed her profile. But it’s also lazy as hell and puts the onus on the woman to actually initiate contact. And unless you’ve got Shemar Moore looks or a profile so amusing it makes her snort milk out her nose, she’s likely not going to have impetus enough to do that. So you think she’s cute. So do all the other dudes winking at her and adding her to favorites.

Do this instead: Send a message. Use an original subject line, so it stands out from the crowd of “hey” and “hi” and “no subject”. Start with a friendly or humorous opening. Comment on one or several things she mentioned in her profile. Ask her a question about one of them, to give her extra incentive to write back. Include some information about yourself. And sign off kindly, ideally with your real first name. According to the OKCupid trends blog post about “Exactly What to Say in a First Message,” keep the whole thing under 200 words, use proper grammar and spelling, and avoid complimenting her on her appearance. (I know these rules make the whole process fairly formulaic, but again, there’s actual science behind most of it, not to mention quite a bit of personal experiential bias. There is little more annoying than a “hey girl ur hot lol” message).

Mistake 2: The Instant Message

It doesn’t matter if you’re hot, fascinating, hilarious, or someone I was planning on talking to anyway. When you send me an instant message, you annoy the hell out of me. The problem with online communication is that text is the only medium by which to interpret what someone says. There are no facial expressions, no tone changes, no pauses for inflection or dramatic effect. IMing with a complete stranger doesn’t teach you much about that person, other than the fact that maybe she or he is busy and only responds every three minutes, or maybe she or he uses “haha” too much, or maybe she or he has nothing to say to you, because you don’t actually know each other. IMing a woman, especially before you’ve had any contact with her, is a distracting imposition, more likely to get you blocked or ignored than a date.

Do this instead: Again, send a message (the e-mail version, not the chat version). If you really want to IM with a woman, ask, via message, if it’s okay to IM her. “This conversation might be easier to have in closer-to-real time… can I IM you?” But, again, if you’re already at the stage where you’re having full conversations, it would probably be better to ask for a date, instead. “This conversation might be easier to have in real time… are you free to grab coffee sometime this week?”

Mistake 3: The Lonely Photo

This should be obvious: First impressions are almost entirely about looks. Call me shallow, but if you only have one photo, or a string of photos that obscure your face, I’m likely not going to respond. I’m not looking for a studmuffin here, but I want to know that there’s at least some spark of attraction off the bat.

Do this instead: Include a number of photos. If you want to know what makes a good photo, check out the OKCupid trends blog posts, “Your Looks and Your Inbox,” “Don’t Be Ugly By Accident,” and “The 4 Big Myths of Profile Pictures.” These three posts alone should help you learn exactly what kind of camera to use, what lighting works best, what time of day to take your pictures, and whether you should smile, look at the camera, pose in a group, or keep your shirt on (or not). From me, you’ll get this: I like guys who smile, and who show both the front of their face and a profile shot. (Also, as I’ve said before, facial hair never hurts).

Mistake 4: The Profile Length Problem

Think of your ideal lady as Goldilocks. Your profile should be neither too long, nor too short–you’re aiming for just right. When I see a guy who’s written over 1,000 words on his profile, I think he’s self-centered, long-winded, and not nearly as interesting as he thinks he is. If I see a guy with only one to five words per “essay” box, I assume he’s lazy, not actually interested in meeting women, or has nothing of value to say.

Do this instead: Try to make your entire profile reach 500 words. Talk about things you like, things you do, and things you’d like to do. Be honest, and be yourself (I know, I know). And, just a little pet peeve–keep it positive! Negativity is an epic and somewhat scary turnoff.

Mistake 5: The Angry-Because-I-Neglected-You Follow-Up Message

I’ve been arguing with a male friend of mine about this one for longer than I’ve even been on the online dating site, so it’s possible that you guys are going to disagree with me vehemently (he sure does). Here’s the basic point: If a woman doesn’t respond to your message, don’t take it personally. And, more importantly, don’t send her an angry, spite-filled follow-up message demanding an explanation, apology, or rejection, because you somehow feel she owes you one. She doesn’t. Sure, it would be polite for her to send a kind rejection letter to every guy she’s not interested in (“Thanks for the message. I don’t feel the spark here, but good luck in your search.”). But she doesn’t owe you anything, and she certainly doesn’t deserve your guilt-tripping ire.

Do this instead: If she hasn’t responded at all to your first message, consider it a lost cause and find someone else to pursue. If she initially responded to one or more of your messages and has since dropped off the face of the planet, it’s perfectly acceptable for you to send a follow-up, simply saying, “Hi, there, hope you’re having a great week.” It’s even acceptable to send something more revealing, like, “I was excited to talk to you earlier, and would love to keep the conversation going if you’re interested.” See, it’s possible that she’s just become overwhelmed with winks and favorite adds and missed chats and insanely ineffective “hey ur hot let’s chat” messages that your old conversation has fallen downqueue and she needs a reminder. There was a reason she messaged you back in the first place, after all.

Replies

• kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I'd agree 100%...

I think with all this online dating stuff being talked about, why not critique eachother's profiles.
    HAHA could you imagine? ;)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    These are all so true!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I agree with all 5...

Kim, you're a brave woman... not sure I'd want my profile on here for all to see. ;)
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I agree with all 5...

Kim, you're a brave woman... not sure I'd want my profile on here for all to see. ;)

I was mainly kidding.... maybe some close pals, but noone else ;)
    I've always wondered though, you know?
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    LOL...I do supppose.
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    haha I completely agree with the IMing thing...which is especially prevalent on Okcupid...it's not that it's annoying persay it's just kind of unexpected so I usually tend to turn it off the minute I get one........I like messages that have something more than "hi"..and I'll typically respond even if I'm not initially attracted by pictures...just my 2 cents though :drinker:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    5 Mistakes Guys Make in Online Dating
    I can tell this is an attempt to make me feel less masculine. I feel already I'm going to tick one out of five boxes and not consider myself a guy anymore...
    *shivers*
    It’s a general rule that any moderately attractive woman on an online dating site will receive a near-avalanche of messages, winks, and IMs from men (and women!) on a pretty regular basis.
    She said it. Ahahah! Not me, SHE said it. Thought I would point that out. Anyway moving on...
    So if you want to date someone you’ve found online, your first priority is to make sure you stand out from the (questionably literate) masses.
    No. I will tell you what, because I'm nice... You find me because I am worth it. You think you can wait for your "perfect man" and that he will fall in your open beak while you are waiting and chirping?
    So... Your priority is to make sure I notice you because you stand out from the (questionably literate) masses.
    Winking, or adding to favorites, is a sweet gesture in theory–it’s supposed to indicate that you think the girl is cute or interesting, or that you’ve enjoyed her profile.
    No actually the only time I added someone as a favorite that was because I wanted to save an interesting profile to have a wank later on.
    But it’s also lazy as hell and puts the onus on the woman to actually initiate contact.
    Yeah right. I'm the lazy one because I at least clicked on your horrid profile to add you as a favorite. You haven't done anything AT ALL and you call me lazy.
    Poor girl... So you have to contact people now? I'm sorry I don't have any spare tears but I cried too much already when I read you were harassed by thousands of men.
    And unless you’ve got Shemar Moore looks
    You too... thanks.
    or a profile so amusing it makes her snort milk out her nose,
    That's a dealbreaker you know... Disgusting little creature.
    she’s likely not going to have impetus enough to do that.
    I don't care. I have added about 1,000 girls as favorites in the minute it took you to look at my profile (no, personally I don't read profiles). Out of these 1,000 I think about 3-4 will send me an email because they find me interesting enough. Then I will read their profile and see if they are worth my time.
    So you think she’s cute. So do all the other dudes winking at her and adding her to favorites.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one wanking on her pic. That's like an internet gangbang!
    Do this instead:
    Sorry!? I'm a male. I'm the dominant one so tone it down please.
    Send a message. Use an original subject line, so it stands out from the crowd of “hey” and “hi” and “no subject”. Start with a friendly or humorous opening. Comment on one or several things she mentioned in her profile. Ask her a question about one of them, to give her extra incentive to write back. Include some information about yourself. And sign off kindly, ideally with your real first name. According to the OKCupid trends blog post about “Exactly What to Say in a First Message,” keep the whole thing under 200 words, use proper grammar and spelling, and avoid complimenting her on her appearance. (I know these rules make the whole process fairly formulaic, but again, there’s actual science behind most of it, not to mention quite a bit of personal experiential bias. There is little more annoying than a “hey girl ur hot lol” message).
    Sorry, I can't be arsed. Too much effort. See the thing is like you I'm f'in lazy. Probably more than you, actually, because I'm a man and we are even worse than you when it comes to doing things.
    Plus smart men know it's a number game and that there are a thousands girls out there who are as good looking, intelligent and nice as you... but just slightly less annoying than you are! So I think I will pass.
    There. I've never used it. Are you implying I'm not a real man?
    It doesn’t matter if you’re hot, fascinating, hilarious, or someone I was planning on talking to anyway.
    Actually it does. Because the only difference between a creep and a flirty guy is that one is ugly and the other one not.
    When you send me an instant message, you annoy the hell out of me. The problem with online communication is that text is the only medium by which to interpret what someone says. There are no facial expressions, no tone changes, no pauses for inflection or dramatic effect.
    Yeah. Same reason why I don't send you any message longer than "hi o r u" in your "mailbox" because I think we are lacking these things... you know... all that you said!
    IMing with a complete stranger doesn’t teach you much about that person, other than the fact that maybe she or he is busy and only responds every three minutes, or maybe she or he uses “haha” too much, or maybe she or he has nothing to say to you, because you don’t actually know each other. IMing a woman, especially before you’ve had any contact with her, is a distracting imposition, more likely to get you blocked or ignored than a date.
    Yeah... Or it makes me realise that you are boring and cannot even participate a conversation. I then proceed to add you as a favorite and imagine (when I'm doing the deed later on) that we are actually having interesting conversations together on the pillow. This is a turn on.
    Do this instead:
    Hush!
    Again, send a message (the e-mail version, not the chat version). If you really want to IM with a woman, ask, via message, if it’s okay to IM her. “This conversation might be easier to have in closer-to-real time… can I IM you?” But, again, if you’re already at the stage where you’re having full conversations, it would probably be better to ask for a date, instead. “This conversation might be easier to have in real time… are you free to grab coffee sometime this week?”
    So wait... we go from no conversation to full conversations? I think I must have missed a step. Thanks for enlightening us though.
    Again I feel emasculated.
    This should be obvious: First impressions are almost entirely about looks. Call me shallow,
    Shallow! Do I get a treat?
    but if you only have one photo, or a string of photos that obscure your face, I’m likely not going to respond. I’m not looking for a studmuffin here, but I want to know that there’s at least some spark of attraction off the bat.
    Good. Well you tell me when you're ready, yeah? I'm smart, I've got a paperbag ready for you.

paper-bag.jpg

I'm sorry you're upset!
    My profile has a length. I guess I qualify for this one.
    Think of your ideal lady as Goldilocks.
    Well I tried to find my Goldilocks but they don't have a 12-14 years old category.
    Your profile should be neither too long, nor too short–you’re aiming for just right.
    Thanks for the advice. "Just right". I shall remember that.
    When I see a guy who’s written over 1,000 words on his profile, I think he’s self-centered, long-winded, and not nearly as interesting as he thinks he is. If I see a guy with only one to five words per “essay” box, I assume he’s lazy, not actually interested in meeting women, or has nothing of value to say.
    Do this instead: Try to make your entire profile reach 500 words. Talk about things you like, things you do, and things you’d like to do. Be honest, and be yourself (I know, I know). And, just a little pet peeve–keep it positive! Negativity is an epic and somewhat scary turnoff.
    Says the girl who is writing the longest blog post on mother f'in Earth about how people should be doing things according to her definition.
    Sorry you were saying? I didn't hear your last paragraph too well.
    Ah Ah! I've only lost one testicle this time. I have done angry because-I've-got-nothing-better-to-do-right-now-even-though-I've-never-spoken-to-you-but-I-still-think-your-profile-is-*kitten*-and-I-want-to-criticise-it. Fun times!
    I’ve been arguing with a male friend of mine about this one for longer than I’ve even been on the online dating site, so it’s possible that you guys are going to disagree with me vehemently (he sure does). Here’s the basic point: If a woman doesn’t respond to your message, don’t take it personally. And, more importantly, don’t send her an angry, spite-filled follow-up message demanding an explanation, apology, or rejection, because you somehow feel she owes you one. She doesn’t.
    True, that time is better spent adding lots of girls as favorites for tonight session or even just sending 100 "o r u" messages.
    At least there is still a hope!
    Sure, it would be polite for her to send a kind rejection letter to every guy she’s not interested in (“Thanks for the message. I don’t feel the spark here, but good luck in your search.”). But she doesn’t owe you anything, and she certainly doesn’t deserve your guilt-tripping ire.
    What if her profile is crap, or if she hasn't even added more than 3 lines of text? Can I be angry at her?
    Do this instead: If she hasn’t responded at all to your first message, consider it a lost cause and find someone else to pursue.
    I think you need to realise that men are doing this 99% of the time, and if you receive an angry message it is actually the 1% of the time when we snap and lose our temper.
    See, it’s possible that she’s just become overwhelmed with winks and favorite adds and missed chats and insanely ineffective “hey ur hot let’s chat” messages that your old conversation has fallen downqueue and she needs a reminder. There was a reason she messaged you back in the first place, after all.
    But... She *never* messaged me back, you just made that up for argument's sake... :cry:
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    @ Flim: POTW
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I would add "Don't message people 10 states away unless you own your own personal jet"...I received an email last week from someone in Georgia, and I'm in Virginia. Before that, it was Iowa.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Do any of you fish? Like fishing pole, lure, line, and tackle in the water kind of fish? In order to catch the fish that you want, you have to take into account so many things. The water temperature, the depth of your lure, the color of line you are using, the presentation of the lure, the scent of the lure, the weather conditions above water, and on & on it goes.

My point, it's freaking mind blowing how incredibly difficult it is to catch the right fish. It takes a lot of patience and knowledge investment.

I think online dating and attraction in general is just like fishing. That's why, whenever I catch a fish...I don't care what size or how healthy that fish is...I'm gonna take it home and slather it in oil.

BOOM.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

I never minded winks or favourites. I liken it to eye contact in real life. You see someone, you wink/smile, if you get acknowledged you smile back, THEN you approach :wink:

Yikes!! I dont mind IMs either!!! Although instant sexual content is a turn off, unless it's just cyber sex you're after, then carry on...........I'd rather know that now than 1st or 2nd date :noway:

Yeah! A picture speaks 1000 words!! I never responded to faceless messages. I'm not too fussed about how many or what pose though, as long as I can see your smiling face!

Agree with this!! Don't really mind about the length tho!! :bigsmile: As long as it doesnt say "I dont know what to say" :huh:

Yeah, a bit pointless. But hey, if you need to let off steam then carry on, it's not exactly going to make me like you though!!
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    Do any of you fish? Like fishing pole, lure, line, and tackle in the water kind of fish? In order to catch the fish that you want, you have to take into account so many things. The water temperature, the depth of your lure, the color of line you are using, the presentation of the lure, the scent of the lure, the weather conditions above water, and on & on it goes.

My point, it's freaking mind blowing how incredibly difficult it is to catch the right fish. It takes a lot of patience and knowledge investment.

I think online dating and attraction in general is just like fishing. That's why, whenever I catch a fish...I don't care what size or how healthy that fish is...I'm gonna take it home and slather it in oil.

BOOM.

LMFAO!!!

And, Flim... tl;dr.... (KIDDING!).... I can absolutely understand both sides and appreciate your point of view on this. It actually helps to understand some of the things that drive us up the walls at times. :)
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I can't beat Flim on this one so I'll just agree with all his points.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

What does POTW mean?? :huh:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    @Florian - you crack me up!! Sounds like you completed No.5 admirably!! :laugh:
  • dbrightwell1270
    Options

What does POTW mean?? :huh:

POTW = Post Of The Week
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree with all of these. May favorite are the nut jobs that will wink at you, then email you to tell you that they winked at you, then add you to their favorites even though you've never even written them back, and then IM you when they see you online. Way to smother someone within 5 minutes.

I never understood the whole favorites thing anyway, it creeps me out when someone will add me to their favorites without ever having spoke with me.

The lonely photo is an enigma. In this day and age if you can only muster up one photo that you look decent in I can only assume there must be something wrong with you. I'm going to assume the worst unless I get visual evidence otherwise...not the other way around.

If you're sending angry follow up messages then you have serious problems. Try focusing your time and effort on people who might actually give a **** and read your emails. I don't think I've ever received or given one of these though, so it doesn't seem they're that common.
  • dbrightwell1270
    Options

BOOM.

I just go to the grocery store or market to get my fish.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

BOOM.

I just go to the grocery store or market to get my fish.

Same here! LOL
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    What? He was talking about fish? All I read was SV Cat - home -oil...and I kinda went in a different direction.

Flim - your post was perfect.