I have a question ...

Options
emstethem
emstethem Posts: 263 Member
Hi, I've been wondering if there was anyone here that has been eating the Atkins way for 2 years or more? If so, I was wondering if it has had any effect on your metabolism?... I just recently started worrying that eating this way may slow my metabolism down (even more...) due to the fact that this seems to be a winter diet (the "lean" months)...during the summer people naturally would eat more fruits and veggies (and thus gain..) but...does eating this way slow your metabolism (naturally?)...just curious thoughts... thanks :)

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it a year. I've lost 71 pounds. I don't understand "naturally eating more fruit in the summer". I eat what I eat, no matter the season. I love fruit but have limited it tremendously. I don't expect to eat any more this summer than I did last summer. And the question about metabolism....are you asking if the Weightloss slows, then yes, but I contribute that to getting close to my goal weight. I lost tons at first but have slowed considerably. I'm almost ready to do maintenance.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well, let me try to explain my question...would eating this way cause your metabolism to slow...as in for the "lean months" for survival purposes? Gosh, I'm crappy at explaining myself...I think I'm over-analyzing the lifestyle... I guess I'm just really paranoid about slowing my metabolism down because I'm hypo-thyroid...It's already almost impossible for me to lose weight...I just don't want to make it any worse for myself...also, what I mean about eating more fruits and veggies in the summer is that I try to eat "seasonal" (or, when food is growing naturally throughout the year...) just because it seems more natural to me... :) Thanks for trying to help me with my question. :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    When you mean "Atkins style" what level carbs are you talking about? Yes, you will need to keep up with the low carb but low carb for you might be 100 grams. that definitely allows you some fruit. :-)
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been wondering if there was anyone here that has been eating the Atkins way for 2 years or more? If so, I was wondering if it has had any effect on your metabolism?... I just recently started worrying that eating this way may slow my metabolism down (even more...) due to the fact that this seems to be a winter diet (the "lean" months)...during the summer people naturally would eat more fruits and veggies (and thus gain..) but...does eating this way slow your metabolism (naturally?)...just curious thoughts... thanks :)

Eat to your hunger. If that means you are craving some fruit, eat it. The idea is to make sure that your diet is about: 70% healthy fats, 25% healthy proteins and about 5% carbohydrates. If you try to eat those ratios your body will make the adjustments it needs to reach good health and fitness. Oh, and get out of the house and move your body. The more you move it the less likely you will be to slow down your metabolism.