Hi, NEW, and would love LC friends!

Options
Hi everyone! i've been reading through this group for days hours at a time! Some great info, and ideas! So i'm already thankful to you!

A little info about me:

I'm a type 1 diabetic, have been since i was a teenager ( half my life now) and well it's hard being diabetic and losing weight... it's awful.. I just started LC yesterday! I'm feeling pretty puney today... my reasons for starting are b/c i've done some reaserach on Diabetes and low carb and it seems the best idea for me.

I've been doing a calorie restriction diet and trying to exercise, but every dang time i exercise i get low blood sugars, and then that sabotages all the work i've done! Soooo dang aggravating! Not to mention the high-low blood sugars make me crankky!

So it's day two, my blood sugars have ranged from 82-126 and i haven't had to bolus any insulin ( you don't know what that means, this is HUGE!! Basically i have an insulin pump that continuously gives me insulin and then when i eat i "bolus" for the amount of carbs i eat) So if i don't eat many carbs i don't have to bolus! Which means my blood sugars don't fluctuate near as much! so it's PRICELESS! ( to me anyways)

so even though i'm on day two and i feel kind of puney i'm going to push through this, and keep on trucking! I've heard the first week is the worst, and it will get better..

So anybody who wants to add me and help me, i'd appreciate it and would love advice thanks!!

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! :happy:
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    My brother had onset at 11 ... That was 32 years ago. No pumps back then, so he had to inject at mealtimes. I know just how you feel, after growing up watching my brother struggle. When I learned I was borderline Type II, I started this lifestyle change myself. Glad to help if I can, sent friend request.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Thanks for the request!

Eric- yea i just got the pump a year ago, totally a life changer! :smile:
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You will get thru the "carb flu" in a couple days!! Get on the party train and lets ride!!!!!!! :-D
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Thanks!! i'm ready to ride this train!
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat enough sodium this first week, it makes the carb flu less bad. Also, if you haven't already, check out "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek. it's worth its weight in gold.
  • Kittenann710
    Kittenann710 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with siblita about the sodium and the book.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Ok thanks girls!
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! Push through these next couple of transition days and you'll be great!
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Welcome :smile:
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    welcome!! I'm fairly new at LC so feel free to add me!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am back into low carb after a break. Looking for friends too. Anyone can add me.
  • hedgehogia
    hedgehogia Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent - drink lots of water!
  • cinbol
    cinbol Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am only 3 months in on this journey - LC is hard at first but the pounds seem to melt off in the beginning - then you level out and then drop again... almost 18 lbs in 3 months which is a nice even pace. Doc recommended this way of eating to get my sugar and cholesterol down - last report the cholesterol went down (239 to 172) but the sugar went up (99 to 114)! Talk about frustrating... but at this point the cravings for baked potatoes and pasta are gone - I just don't "want" them - I can have a cheat day once a week and had 2 slices of pizza last weekend and felt awful after! Welcome to the boards - there is great info here!
  • Sasmin40
    Options
    Welcome! Low carb works! But we can use all the support we can get. I will send a request