Help ME

Options
Hi everyone i have been a type 2 diabetic for over 5 years, but decided about a week ago i really do have it, i lived in denil for so long, i am on insulin 2 times a day and also 2 metphormin pills a day, my sugar is usually around 300+ I so need help to get his down and feel good again, i decided last week to finally get serious about it. I joined a gym and also decided to diet, my issue is with dieting is calories/ carbs/ sugars which one do i watch the most. I would like to loose 60 lbs to feel good again and get down in a size i havn't been in for years. I can't remember the last time i worked out. Some of my issues is feeling full and eating things with tons of sugar, love my sweets, HATE vegtables, not a good eater. Any help would be so greatly appricated.:yawn:

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Start with small things like portion control and eating less refined sugars. Add more fruits and vegetables (fruit is better for you than a candy bar, so eat that instead of the sweets). If there is only one vegetable you will eat, then eat that to fill you up. Try different ways to add protein into your diet. That will help you fill up. Then get to the gym and start moving your body. You have the membership, now use it! Do you have a friend that will go with you? If not, get some good music to listen to. I have a Kindle Fire and am starting to read more on there and have even watched a few episodes of a great tv show, with my Amazon Prime membership.

Don't try to change it all overnight. You didn't get where you are today overnight. It will take time, but you will start to see results.

I'll help anyway I can.

Also, you can learn a lot from the people on this message board. Many have been doing this longer than I have and many with great success!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Everyone reacts differently. I have managed to control my T2 with weight loss, diet (portion control and healthy eating) and exercise.

Others have controlled it with low carb diets. Which brings me to the question you asked "calories/ carbs/ sugars which do I control".

I think the majority on here will say reduce your carbs. I limit mine as part of a calorie controlled diet to about 50% of my daily calories. Compared to others on here that is high. Others try and reduce them totally.

A number in this group rate the Blood Sugar 101 web site.

Here is a link to a useful tip if you are starting out. Copy and paste it into your browser,

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
  • marydoutt
    Options
    thank you so much it is just hard to do this when i let it get this bad
  • marydoutt
    Options
    Thank you so much i need some good support in this and what i should do and not do...i have gone to the gym about 3 days a weeks,so that is good to start out, also i am having a really hard time with the veggies, i love almost all fruits but which ones are not that great for us with type 2
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bananas are very high in sugars. Berries are good because they are lower in sugar and high in fiber. Speaking of fiber, Fiber One or Fiber Plus bars are a good substitute for a candy bar or other sweet snack. They only run about 120 calories.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would say make smaller changes. If you have been eating a very high carb diet, your body will crave for the carbs if as you cut them down. I use to hate veggies too, I started out slow, and would try new ones off and on, now I get where I actually like most of them. Still can't stand green beans though. heh

the above advice is very good. I was told to eat only 1/2 a banana as a serving due to it's high content of sugar. What I find as my enemies in this fight is breads, pastas, and potatoes these all jump my sugar really high. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I also have an open food diary
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i love almost all fruits but which ones are not that great for us with type 2
    Everyone is different. My advice, "eat to your meter". in other words see which ones affect you the most.

Like Rainey suggest, I too dont eat more than 1/2 a banana unless I am out on the bike and need more fuel to get me home when I will eat a full one rather than a chocolate bar at a coffee stop.

Potatoes can spike your BG worse than sugar!! So I limit these, although I have become partial to Sweet Potatoe (I think you call them Yams in the US) which are much better for diabetics.

The best book I read when I was diagnosed is "The first year Type2 Diabetes" by Gretchen Becker a m ine of useful information. I am not normally a fan of the dummies books as they can be a bit patronising, but, in this case the Dummies book on T2 was surprisingly good.
  • marydoutt
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your advice, yea sweet potatoes i like but with butter and brown sugar which doesn't help...i have noticed that i feel better since it has been a while since i have had potatoes, i just want to see some results i just don't know how to make it go from 300+ to 100 which is where it should be
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary and welcome to this group. All of us can only start from where we are so don't get stressed out. You asked a question about cals/carbs/sugars; as a diabetic our main focus should be on carbs. The consensus view is that it's best to focus on net carbs which is total carb less fibre. With ref to sugars, since they go straight to glucose they are usually lumped in with carbs. The food label will have carbs listed and this should be your target. Anything with a carb content over say 55 per 100 gms should be treated with caution. It's best to focus on complex carbs such as wholegrains etc rather than simple carbs such as white bread, white rice, pasta. Try to substitute wholegrain bread. wholewheat pasta and brown rice. Have a look at some of the open diaries in the group to get an idea for meals etc. Focus on one thing at a time ,only moving on when you have got it under control. Feel free to send me a friend request if you think I may be able to help.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Mary, since you have been a diabetic for 5 years, have you gone to see a nutritionist? When I was diagnosed last year, my doctor sent me to a specific diabetes class. I found it helpful. In fact, I think in a few months I will get a notice for the 1 year anniversary class. :laugh:

As everyone else has said, eat to your meter. I try to cut back on my carbs but sometimes it doesn't happen. Yesterday I had a 131 grams of carbs and but my fasting BS# was 103 this morning. I am sure it could have been lower if I hadn't eaten so many carbs. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :smile:
  • lmataloni
    lmataloni Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for taking this very big step in taking care of your diabetes! Be proud of yourself! I too had been in denial forever, but am finally awake! Much of the above advice is spot on - I am trying to figure these things out for myself as well. Walking after meals really helped my sugars levels drop. I am avoiding refined flours and sugars as best possible. I think when the weight comes off, I will get even more control. This site is so great for tracking things, you will see what causes the big spikes in your sugar levels pretty easily. Dairy and many fruits are promblematic for me - but most berries are on the low glycemic scale and seem ok for me. I feel much better eating more veggies and hope you will feel that too. You may not love the way they taste now, but you will love how you feel eating them. Oh yeah, try a good indian cookbook for veggies. Good luck!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary,
    Congratulations on taking the first steps toward getting the diabetes under control. Lots of great advice already given. I especially agree with seeing a nutritionist if you haven't already. Most of what I'd tell you has already been said but I'll add one thing. I've found a couple breads that seem to work for me to keep my glucose more steady. Don't know if you have Kroger's in your area but their "Wholesome Harvest 9 grain and seed" is delicious and hearty. If you have a Great Harvest...their Dakota bread is also one that doesn't cause spikes, at least for me. I don't eat it daily, but when I want bread, those are the ones I love without bad consequences!

Good luck with getting things under control. Each day will get you closer to that goal of lowering those numbers! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in as well, even though I am still arguing with my diet to get it under control. I used to be a sweet fiend! (One of those that a box of zebra cakes and a box of swiss rolls MIGHT last 2 days, usually not.)

I broke the habit / addiction by switching over to a ton more protein for about 3 weeks. Not easy, and I loved the meals, but couldn't afford the new menu. BUT, in the time I was eating that way, my body decided that sweets were not their own food group. Now, I can't even EAT anything that sweet. It was a bit of a shock when I discovered even fast food milkshakes are too sweet.

But, like others have said, make your changes gradually, and they will stay with you longer. This approach was a bit harsh on the system, but I was determined to keep the weight loss moving. (This was before I was diagnosed with T2 as well.)

Not sure if this will help, but it's there if you want to think about it.
  • marydoutt
    Options
    I just want to thank all of you for your advice and support, i did work out yesterday for over a hours and burned a tons of my calories to where i didn't even eat all my carories for the day, i am learning that i just can't have some things, and that i am not goign to loose this weight overnight. my levels were 150 after working out yesterday which is great for me, so i am hoping that is a sign...again i think this is a great group and hope to keep learning more...thanks again:flowerforyou:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    This forum has been really helpful to me as well. Good job on bringing down the number through exercise...and realizing you'll figure out what foods work for or against you as well. It begins as an experiment, in some ways, and ends in a lifestyle!