What is reset?

Options
tems78
tems78 Posts: 23 Member
May sound dumb but i'm new to the group, but can someone explain to me what you mean by reset? I take it cut means the 15% off TDEE? thanks.

Replies

• kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Reset means you eat your TDEE calories. There are differant opinions on how long your reset should last so you need to decide what works for you. Usually you stay at TDEE until you level off [stop gaining weight] and then you can cut again.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    May sound dumb but i'm new to the group, but can someone explain to me what you mean by reset? I take it cut means the 15% off TDEE? thanks.

If your metabolism has been suppressed or damaged from eating too few calories for a long period of time your metabolism needs to make an adjustment. A stoking of the furnace if you will so you begin to burn fat and lose weight again. TDEE is the calculated number o f calories you burn during an active 24 hour period including eating, sleeping, breathing, and any type of activity you perform during that time period. If you eat at the TDEE you maintain weight. If you eat at a surplus of TDEE you gain, and if you eat at a deficit you should lose.
    Reset means resetting your metabolism by eating at TDEE for several weeks before you eat at a deficit again. Your body has to recognize it s not starving and it is ok to release fat again. Until that happens your body will hang onto fat for preservation.
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options

If your metabolism has been suppressed or damaged from eating too few calories for a long period of time your metabolism needs to make an adjustment. A stoking of the furnace if you will so you begin to burn fat and lose weight again. TDEE is the calculated number o f calories you burn during an active 24 hour period including eating, sleeping, breathing, and any type of activity you perform during that time period. If you eat at the TDEE you maintain weight. If you eat at a surplus of TDEE you gain, and if you eat at a deficit you should lose.
    Reset means resetting your metabolism by eating at TDEE for several weeks before you eat at a deficit again. Your body has to recognize it s not starving and it is ok to release fat again. Until that happens your body will hang onto fat for preservation.

How long is "a long period of time?" I found out that I was eating below BMR for over about 4 months. Does that qualify? Still contemplating the idea of upping my cals to TDEE
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    How long is "a long period of time?" I found out that I was eating below BMR for over about 4 months. Does that qualify? Still contemplating the idea of upping my cals to TDEE

Really depends on genetics, other stresses in life, how many times you've yo-yo dieted, how huge a deficit to previous eating levels you took and shocked the system.

I think I've observed from many on here that comment, those that had a metabolism that moved up the quickest stopped exercise for a week or two, or just made it walking, and the at or slowly raised to a TDEE correct for that level of activity.

Then they increased more to TDEE correct for desired workouts, and did those workouts again. Better rest during that recover time, really spending time on good diet for best food, just less stress on body, not giving the metabolism any reason to stay slow.

Many have done excessive exercise while eating way too little, because of a plateau - really bad combo.

Others have slowly raised their calories 200 daily for a week at a time, and 1 or 2 lbs gain. Others jumped straight up and same minor effect.

Others gained much more, and also may have overestimated their TDEE.
  • tems78
    tems78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who commented. Really clarified it for me.