Continue losing weight or start building muscles?

Options
2»

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    You guys bulking for the sake of bulking? Or doing it to get stronger? You don't have to bulk to get stronger technically

I cannot answer for the others but I am going to bulk soon to gain LBM, which among other things, increases your strength potential.

Not that I can really bulk but I've been getting progressively stronger while losing weight very, very slowly. Like maintaining 90% and losing 10% of the time.

Hard to tell from my profile pic but I weigh around 174lbs currently. I'd like to be sub-170lbs while being as strong or stronger. Meaning I need to be better technically at my lifts to improve and only lose fat as much as possible.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

This is kinda a downer. Im sitting at about 180 lbs at I think around 10-12% bf. According to this I can at best put on around 10lbs of muscle in my life with dedicated training.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You guys bulking for the sake of bulking? Or doing it to get stronger? You don't have to bulk to get stronger technically

I cannot answer for the others but I am going to bulk soon to gain LBM, which among other things, increases your strength potential.

Not that I can really bulk but I've been getting progressively stronger while losing weight very, very slowly. Like maintaining 90% and losing 10% of the time.

Hard to tell from my profile pic but I weigh around 174lbs currently. I'd like to be sub-170lbs while being as strong or stronger. Meaning I need to be better technically at my lifts to improve and only lose fat as much as possible.

My strength has definitely been improving pretty steadily and I have been at a deficit for coming up to a year (except for a short time over the holidays). Some of that is form improvements, but a lot of it is strength (past the newbie neuromuscular adaptation). However, I will be hitting diminishing returns soon (or maybe already have) and as such will need to add muscle to continue making gains.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

My strength has definitely been improving pretty steadily and I have been at a deficit for coming up to a year (except for a short time over the holidays). Some of that is form improvements, but a lot of it is strength (past the newbie neuromuscular adaptation). However, I will be hitting diminishing returns soon (or maybe already have) and as such will need to add muscle to continue making gains.

I've been lifting for years but quite for around 10 years. But started up around 3 years ago. Lifing more serious for 2 years. I think most of the newbie gains are long gone now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I've been lifting for years but quite for around 10 years. But started up around 3 years ago. Lifing more serious for 2 years. I think most of the newbie gains are long gone now.

I may not have been clear - the 'newbie' neuromuscular adaptations I am referring to are the initial pop in progress you get when you start lifting (your muscles basically learning/being reminded how to work) - which is one of the reasons you make very large gains at the beginning of your lifting live v later on.