Ice Cream. ICE CREAM!

Options
Oh, yes. Ice cream.

Why? Because, let's face it: ice cream is awesome. Whether it's a really hot day and you need something cool, or if you just want something sweet and creamy after dinner, ice cream hits the spot like nothing else.
But can it be enjoyed on a Paleo/Primal lifestyle? Hell freaking yes, says I.

So, for that reason, I have two ice cream recipes. Why? Well, while both are Primal friendly, only one is Paleo friendly (dairy-free). That, and both these recipes are so dirt simple to make, posting one would feel like a waste of time. So here's two.

Enjoy - I know I enjoy a bowl every night. :)

"Paleo Coconut Ice Cream"

A sweet, creamy dairy-free recipe for them Paleo folks out there. High in healthy, saturated fat, I found this to be a delicious treat. Probably the best ice cream I've made as of yet.

YOU WILL NEED:
8489970453_f8ed2a54b7.jpg
-One can full-fat coconut milk.
-Two whole, raw eggs.
-Vanilla essence.
-Sweetener of choice (natvia, stevia, honey, etc - I opted for honey in this case)
-Optional Extras (cocoa powder, protein powder, berries, cinnamon, etc)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Separate egg yolks and egg whites. You need the yolks for this recipe, so find something else to do for the whites - another recipe, scrambled with pepper and salt, meringue, etc.
8489970737_3bcb7426ae.jpg

2) Pour the can of coconut milk into a bowl that is large enough to be mixed in without splashing everywhere. Unless you like making a big mess and having to clean it up after.
8489971059_ab035187f9.jpg
8491070510_d52827f933.jpg

Now you'll see why this is so easy.

3) Add the egg yolks to the coconut milk.
8491070704_54e3b2edce.jpg
Then add everything else - honey, stevia, cocoa powder, vanilla essence, berries, etc, etc. Whatever it is you wanted to add in.
8489971691_a562d4f8e0.jpg

4) Vigorously whisk all of the ingredients together until they're all mixed up - if you want hunks of certain ingredients to remain as is (i.e., lumps of chocolate or berry, etc), delicately crumble them in while you do this.
8489971969_3141564868.jpg

5) Store in a freezer-safe bowl and stick in the freezer for about six hours.
8491071612_9bd778412d.jpg

Aaaaaaand...

8491707344_7960d88740.jpg

After six hours, you're done. Seriously. That's it. It's really, really easy.
Though, in all honesty, it tastes nicer served upon on of these:
8491708118_10077bd5c2.jpg

And, of course, topped off with a cherry.

8490608267_b1cbcc59c2.jpg
8490608097_d26f45c11c.jpg

This recipe could easily serve three people, giving about six scoops (assuming two scoops each). Of course, the batch can easily be doubled - just remember to have two egg yolks per can of coconut milk.

Enjoy! :)

Primal Cottage-Cheese Ice Cream

This recipe is for us Primal people - or, well, anyone can tolerate and eats dairy. This one packs a great protein-punch and has a bitterish taste to it that makes it taste fantastically with berries. My most common "ice cream" consumed, and definitely a favorite.

YOU WILL NEED:
8493458975_5cb8012cf1.jpg
-250g Cottage Cheese (regular or lite, whatever fits your fancy - only pick up the lite if it has no weird additives)
-Frozen berries (of preference)
-Sweetener of choice (honey, natvia, stevia, etc - opted for natvia in this case)
-Ice cubes
**If you don't want a berry flavor, feel free to add whatever you like: chocolate bits, protein powder, nut butters, whatever; just remember you'll need more ice cubes and (probably) more sweetener to make up for the already frozen consistency and sweetness of the berries**

INSTRUCTIONS:

Again, this recipe is ridiculously easy. I'm a simple kinda guy.

1) Put all ingredients in a blender. Works best with a few ice cubes at the bottom, then put half the berries on top of that, followed by half the container of cottage cheese. Then pour sweetener on, then layer the remained of the cottage cheese and berries on. This helps the blending process be all the smoother.
8493459245_6d6569abcb.jpg

2) Add a tiny bit of water - maybe a 1/4 cup - to the mix to help it blend up well. Add too little, you're in for a rough time. Add too much, hello ice cream soup. You can always add a bit more water while blending, remember.
8493459799_55874710ed.jpg

3) Now, blend...
8493459669_d32095887d.jpg
...and blend...
8494558786_4b34dc3bd6.jpg
...and blend.
8494559592_42da4c3302.jpg
You may need to shake the blender around a little bit or add a tiny bit more water to get things going. Remember - the priority is to get all the berries and (especially) the ice cubes purified into the mix.

4) Now that your mix is fully blendified, pour it out into a freezer-safe bowl.
8493459987_0bb56102b6.jpg
8493460211_d8d5fdf95b.jpg
Cover it, and place within the freezer.
8494560588_545469a672.jpg

5) This should be able to sit in the freer for a good 3-4 hours. After the first hour, however, I would recommend stirring it every half hour to prevent it sticking from the sides and turning into an icy brick. That said, should you forget all about the ice cream and come back to it much later and it HAS frozen over, leaving it to defrost on the kitchen bench/table for 15-20 minutes should be enough time to let it thaw and give it the desired consistency.
8494561586_36b3d456cd.jpg

6) This one should be obvious - Eat up! :D

Just by eyeballing it, this could serve... maybe four people? Not a hundred percent certain. That said, on it's own - if you're counting calories - it's a fairly low 366 calories assuming you use full-fat CC, 200g frozen berries and 5 servings of stevia, so can easily be a meal for one on it's own. And for such great volume, is it worth it?
IMO? Of bloody course! :P

8494561012_2b852470d7.jpg

8494562054_5bfcb0642c_z.jpg

Macros (Full-fat CC 250g, 200g frozen berries, 5 servings Stevia):
Fat: 13g
Protein: 34g
Carbs: 25g
Calories: 366

So yeah. Eat up, indulge and enjoy. :)

I hope that - should you attempt to try any of these ice cream recipes, they work out well for you. I know I love them and eat them (especially the cottage cheese one) several times a week. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll answer to the best of my ability. And if you have any ideas on what else I could try - or even have a recipe for me to taste, I'm always eager ;) - please shoot them my way.

~Shadowknight

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Can't wait to try both of these. Always looking for new SIMPLE recipes
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    My husband loves ice cream and nightly he makes a simple sorbet as a treat. It's a ripe banana, frozen berries (his favorite strawberries) and about a 1/2 cup of juice. Put it in the magic bullet and mix. I have to say it does hit the ice cream spot.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i might have to try the cottage cheese one just for the hell of it. sounds intriguing!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    yum! thank you!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Another great recipe! Thanks!

Side note: your recipes make me smile:)
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just talking about ice cream last night. I'll give these a shot!
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! I can't wait to try these, especially the first one - love the pictures!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! The only homemade coconut ice creams I've seen have required the use of a ice cream machine, which I don't have. Will definitely try this soon.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! looks delish!!!!! I'm trying a pumpkin one tonight, if I can figure out how to add pics and it tastes good I'll post it
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I want to try the coconut one sometime! Yummm..
  • myrnacpagan
    myrnacpagan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I made the ice cream this morning and I am having it RIGHT NOW!!! Awesome!!

I made the coconut/egg/honey one....perfect!!!
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    so do you think honey or maple syrup could replace the stevia/sweeteners? and if yes, how much would it take?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I made the ice cream this morning and I am having it RIGHT NOW!!! Awesome!!

I made the coconut/egg/honey one....perfect!!!

Hope you like it :) - Please tell me you have pics, for the pic thread? :P
    so do you think honey or maple syrup could replace the stevia/sweeteners? and if yes, how much would it take?

Absolutely - I said sweetener of choice. I myself used honey for the coconut one, roughly a quarter cup - came out at 45g. I'd say... Maybe 30g if honey would do the trick for the coconut ne, depending on how sweet you want it. As for the cottage cheese recipe, you may need more - not sure how much more, but cottage cheese lacks that creaminess and natural sweetish flavour of coconut, and really needs a bit of sweetening for desired flavour; I usually use three or four satchets (or teaspoons) of natvia per carton.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump wow they look fab!
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Got a batch of Raspberry in the freezer right now. Will let you know how it comes out.
  • Shubbamoo
    Shubbamoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm new, so, you probably already all know this but, if you freeze bananas, then peel them (they are difficult to peel once they're frozen and you need to use a knife) and put them in the food processor they turn into banana ice cream. If you haven't tried it, do, it's amazing.

P.s. I can't wait to try the coconut recipe. It looks yum.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am so making the Coconut Ice cream tomorrow.....:tongue:
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Made the pumpkin it was delish,
    Like frozen pumpkin pie!

fill 8 ice cubes in a tray with pumkin puree and freeze over night
    unpeel one banana and freeze over night( in baggy)
    take pumpkin cubes out and let sit for 10 minutes or so on a plate
    then add to food processor, along with banana, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1tbsp honey, 1sp pumkin spice....process til smooth, yumm!!

paleo003_zpsf68a82e8.jpg
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    awesome!! thanks so much!
    I am paleo but am allergic to eggs. any thoughts of what I could use instead of the egg yolks? Also, I am allergic to bananas so thats not an option either :(
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes! I blended up some of the coconut + pineapple, mango, and banana this morning, and it's hanging out in the freezer while I'm at work--I just know it's going to be amazing.