Has anyone lost a large amount of weight eating more?

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing. Congrats on your amazing success! I lost the first half of my weight doing very low calorie. But as some of the above posters mentioned, that backfired to the point where no matter how much I exercised or how little I ate, I was GAINING weight. Seriously. Who GAINS on 1000 calories a day?!? In addition to that, I was weak, dizzy, irritable, my hair was falling out in huge chunks, and I was afraid I was going to go bald. Sad it had to take that. But when I started eating more, I did start losing. For me, my weight loss has really slowed down. At 5'5", I currently weigh 170ish...oh wow that was hard to type...but am wearing mostly size 6's and I own a few 4s. Just a few months I was a few pounds lighter and wearing size 8s. When I met my husband 12 years ago, I weighed the same but wore a size 12-14. I realize that according to the BMI, I am way too heavy for my height, but I am happy about the changes I am seeing in my body even if the scale is not moving much right now. I would technically still like to lose another 20-30 pounds, but I am getting to a place of being SOOOO OVER THE SCALE. I would rather be heavier with more muscle than lighter with a higher percentage of body fat. I am loving the place where I am at now. I still have my struggles, but I feel strong and healthy. I am able to lift much heavier than I ever thought possible-something that would never be possible if I wasnt properly fueling my body. I share all this to say that the scale is so overrated. It is a measure of progress, but we have to remember it is only ONE measure of progress. And yes, eating more really does work. I will never go back to those old ways!

Here is my take.....if you weigh X, fit into small clothes and people assume you weigh Y (insert generally accepted thin weight here), that is more than good enough.. :)

I hope that 165ih works out to be an 8ish for me as well. That's my hope and my goal is that. Not 110 or 120 or whatever. I am perfectly happy to ignore the pointless BMI chart. :P
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    You are so right! I am getting there!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing. Congrats on your amazing success! I lost the first half of my weight doing very low calorie. But as some of the above posters mentioned, that backfired to the point where no matter how much I exercised or how little I ate, I was GAINING weight. Seriously. Who GAINS on 1000 calories a day?!? In addition to that, I was weak, dizzy, irritable, my hair was falling out in huge chunks, and I was afraid I was going to go bald. Sad it had to take that. But when I started eating more, I did start losing. For me, my weight loss has really slowed down. At 5'5", I currently weigh 170ish...oh wow that was hard to type...but am wearing mostly size 6's and I own a few 4s. Just a few months I was a few pounds lighter and wearing size 8s. When I met my husband 12 years ago, I weighed the same but wore a size 12-14. I realize that according to the BMI, I am way too heavy for my height, but I am happy about the changes I am seeing in my body even if the scale is not moving much right now. I would technically still like to lose another 20-30 pounds, but I am getting to a place of being SOOOO OVER THE SCALE. I would rather be heavier with more muscle than lighter with a higher percentage of body fat. I am loving the place where I am at now. I still have my struggles, but I feel strong and healthy. I am able to lift much heavier than I ever thought possible-something that would never be possible if I wasnt properly fueling my body. I share all this to say that the scale is so overrated. It is a measure of progress, but we have to remember it is only ONE measure of progress. And yes, eating more really does work. I will never go back to those old ways!

^^^^^^^^ THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock On !
  • harlanJEN
    Options

Here is my take.....if you weigh X, fit into small clothes and people assume you weigh Y (insert generally accepted thin weight here), that is more than good enough.. :)

I hope that 165ih works out to be an 8ish for me as well. That's my hope and my goal is that. Not 110 or 120 or whatever. I am perfectly happy to ignore the pointless BMI chart. :P

^^^^^^^ OH YES!! You've got it. The BMI chart ... in the shredder ! I prob won't get to the "average" section of the BMI chart - but I will be wearing size 6, looking AWESOME, Feeling BEYOND AWESOME with healthy BP, Glucose, Cholesterol, low resting heart rate - the whole SHEBANG! Got all of that now .. but size 8. So .. still working IT! More leaning up to do .... but the scale will still not flash me a "generally accepted thin weight"

ROCK ON my friend !!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^ OH YES!! You've got it. The BMI chart ... in the shredder ! I prob won't get to the "average" section of the BMI chart - but I will be wearing size 6, looking AWESOME, Feeling BEYOND AWESOME with healthy BP, Glucose, Cholesterol, low resting heart rate - the whole SHEBANG! Got all of that now .. but size 8. So .. still working IT! More leaning up to do .... but the scale will still not flash me a "generally accepted thin weight"

ROCK ON my friend !!

LOVE IT!!!!! That is what I am talking about!!!!
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Should I maybe try using the K-M BMR of 1410 instead of the Harris 1850 and drop down?

There shouldn't be that much difference in the different BMR calculators. If by K-M BMR you mean the number that MFP calculates for you, that is a calorie deficit calculation from TDEE. Not a BMR calculation. They call it BMR on the tools here and they tell you which formula they use but then they ask your activity level and then they deduct based on how many pounds per week you tell it you want to lose. This is not BMR, it's a number with calorie deficit built in.

Understanding this concept is important.

By K-M I mean Katch McArdle (or however it's spelled) - the one that uses body fat percentage as well. I understand TDEE vs BMR and all that. Thanks though! :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Yes I have lost 104 lbs never eating less than 1800-2300 cals. By the time I add in exercise I net no less than 1400-1500. I started with a paper and pen journal and just walking and dropped 40 lbs. Then I found MFP, with the numbers they gave me I GAINED 20 lbs. Even though I was still eating and tracking well. I had upped my exercise intensity A LOT. I added Zumba, kickboxing, running and heavy lifting. I was eating most of the exercise cals that MFP gave me. At first I blamed the 20 lb gain on birth control pills but after research I found my estimated TDEE and upped my cals then started losing again. Re-lost the 20 gained plus another 40ish and still losing. I have 50 more to go and I know I will get there with determination, patience and not starving myself!

WOW!!! WHat an amazing loss!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Should I maybe try using the K-M BMR of 1410 instead of the Harris 1850 and drop down?

There shouldn't be that much difference in the different BMR calculators. If by K-M BMR you mean the number that MFP calculates for you, that is a calorie deficit calculation from TDEE. Not a BMR calculation. They call it BMR on the tools here and they tell you which formula they use but then they ask your activity level and then they deduct based on how many pounds per week you tell it you want to lose. This is not BMR, it's a number with calorie deficit built in.

By K-M I mean Katch McArdle (or however it's spelled) - the one that uses body fat percentage as well. I understand TDEE vs BMR and all that. Thanks though! :)

My KM number is not very different from the Harris. It seemed very strange that it would be more that 400 different for you.
  • itwasntme
    itwasntme Posts: 28 Member
    Options

ROCK ON my friend !!

This just made my day! Thank you!!
  • harlanJEN
    Options
    At 5'5", I currently weigh 170ish...oh wow that was hard to type...but am wearing mostly size 6's and I own a few 4s. Just a few months I was a few pounds lighter and wearing size 8s. When I met my husband 12 years ago, I weighed the same but wore a size 12-14.

WHAT?????? Girl I could just slap you, you are 170ish and wearing SIX'S...YOU ARE ALL MUSCLE!!! You got me WHIPPED!!!! BECCA if you were sitting beside me right now...LOL

Yep ....she is awesome !!! And I'm gonna be just like her. 170ish size 6. I'm 190 size 8 right now : )
  • candicejn
    Options

My KM number is not very different from the Harris. It seemed very strange that it would be more that 400 different for you.

Yeah, I thought it was strange, too. I have most of my weight in my stomach, so I wonder if that measurement throws it off somehow.

THIS is why I'm confused, lol :D

I'm still not losing. Granted, I had a bad week w/TOM and a huge party yesterday, so I'm trying to stick it out, but with my WI today, I am right back to where I was on April 1st. That's 5 weeks of hard work with nothing to show for it. Very very very discouraging. Not sure how much longer I'll be sticking with this calorie intake.
  • candicejn
    Options
    Of course then I have to worry that I either didn't wait long enough, or didn't increase enough.

This stuff is frustrating, lol. At least I know I can maintain, and not starve doing it :D

*sigh. I'll stick with it for a few more weeks. But it's depressing to see the number on the scale not change.
  • sweetydelishus
    sweetydelishus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm where you are at this point, been a week since I stopped losing weight despite the 1200 cal diet. Thinking about the years of dieting, and being "careful", I never ate BMR much less tdee yet always gained. I'd start and stop exercise routines for the same problem of not seeing results. The best results I've seen were on 800 cal diet on the program Transformations, using HCG shots, and also on phentermine. Right now what led me to upping cals is my hair falling out for the past 2 months.. It's so scary I have to braid my hair all the time. I'm afraid of gaining now being on 1925 cals and exercising an hour 6x a week. Did you ever lose the weight from eating more? I saw this thread and know it's old, I just wanted to hear some feedback on how your journey has been please. I'm trying to be patient but it's driving me nuts getting on the scale daily.
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am slowly losing weight eating more. I have dropped about 15 pounds and a size and a half since starting to eat more and strength train. I don't do a ton of true "cardio". My exercise consists of a lot of walking, some mini runs, a little time on the arc trainer or elliptical and cleaning a cat shelter every Sunday (and some Saturdays).

Before eating more and strength training, I had stopped losing weight at 1200 calories net after losing 25 before that. My period had stopped, my hair was falling out, I was exhausted 24/7 and craving red meat like nothing else.

I now have energy. I had to up my calories even more since I do so much on the weekends. It took a little adjusting for my body and for me to wrap my head around this process. I am so glad I did. It has been 15 lbs since mid November, but looking at it that is still a lot.

I recommend logging a day of what you used to eat before you started your weight loss progress at all. See what kind of calories you were consuming before (and if you weren't exercising at the time take that into consideration as well). I logged a couple normal days and they were at 3000 - 3500 calories. There were some days that were lower, but not by much. It puts into place where you were gaining (and I wasn't gaining fast) and where you can comfortably lose without the serious health issues.

Also, feel free to look at other em2wl members diaries and blogs. You will get a lot of ideas and can see that you can do this. We are here to support you. I was monitoring my weight daily (to track my trends - I don't recommend it since you can get easily discouraged ... it was to track my water retention). I know now when I retain water etc. so I am weighing once a week or less. I plan on giving my personal scale to a non-profit rummage sale since I can weigh in on a better scale at the gym if I need to.

I monitor my progress by pictures, the mirror, how much I can lift, how much I can run, how my clothes fit and how much better I feel. That is the true measurement (not the stupid scale).
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Try this calculator - it sounds like you are underestimating your activity level. I did. I have kids and I burn at least 3000 on an average day. Was shocked!! Print out the form you'll find, and track yourself for a day or two.

You can afford to be patient because the process of eating more is so much more pleasant than any diet. Your metabolism is damaged and when you feed yourself enough you will heal and feel so much better. Accept where you are and have patience. That's what i am doing. It is hard to trust and have patience with the process.
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow, you all are such an inspiration! Congrats to you all!
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great comments! After years of trainers, meal plans, diet fads and more....I FINALLY GET IT! I even took a big step and did Metabolic testing at my gym to learn more about my body and how I burn calories and what zones are my ideal fat burn zones and heart rates. Is truly science and some math.

I started plateauing recently again...after losing 20 lbs last year I was at a stand still. Burning 600-1100 calories during high intensity workouts 4-5 times a week...I was over training ...doing cardio, Zumba, water aerobics, weights,yoga,etc! Eating super clean, only drinking water, one "cheat meal" a week! etc.

After my test, realized my net intake was too low. Talked to trainers, nutritionists and body building friends and they agreed, My body was staying in "starvation mode". I started increasing my intake and just recently moved to 1800 and can go up to 2000 on workout days. Food is our friend and we have to use it to help us! I find its better to workout in morning so u can gauge ur food intake during the day and add needed healthy calories thru the day. The time before when I increased caloric intake, I started dropping again....so it works! Just be patient...enjoy the journey....drop the top and ride out!

So eat up and trust the science and ur body...I know it's going to take weeks to convince my body that I won't starve it and that it's ok to let go of those unwanted pounds go. Thank goodness for the workouts, did see decrease in body fat and inches. Tons of compliments on how slim I'm looking. Food is 70% of it! Once u get that down, u"ll be golden!

Happy journey!

Shannon, Atl
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Yes, I've lost the bulk of my weight (see ticker) on EMTWL. But I never had to do a reset because I'd never undereaten so my metabolism was in fine shape. So I lost immediately doing 10-15% cut of TDEE (with long periods at and just over TDEE when I couldn't be bothered to log and monitor calories). Never less than 1800 to 2200 cals a day. It's taken me just 12 months. So it definitely worked for me.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes I have lost 104 lbs never eating less than 1800-2300 cals. By the time I add in exercise I net no less than 1400-1500. I started with a paper and pen journal and just walking and dropped 40 lbs. Then I found MFP, with the numbers they gave me I GAINED 20 lbs. Even though I was still eating and tracking well. I had upped my exercise intensity A LOT. I added Zumba, kickboxing, running and heavy lifting. I was eating most of the exercise cals that MFP gave me. At first I blamed the 20 lb gain on birth control pills but after research I found my estimated TDEE and upped my cals then started losing again. Re-lost the 20 gained plus another 40ish and still losing. I have 50 more to go and I know I will get there with determination, patience and not starving myself!

Congratulations! That gives me hope too!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump