Has anyone read the book specifically for women?

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
Not that I'm going to switch, I got great results from the original program and I'm currently doing a slightly modified first class run, but I'm curious whether there is anything new in that book that would be interesting to read :)

Replies

• just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the new book, Body By You. I've read the original YAYOG as well, but don't own a copy.

I like the women's version, it seems more applicable to my situation. I have more leg strength than upper body and find the exercises are more adjustable to my abilities.

I'm hoping Mark gets an app for it as well, I like having access to all the moves regardless of where I am. I always have my phone, I don't always take my book. I can do the workouts at work, if I have the app, kwim?

Just completed C1W1D1 tonight. Wow! My legs are aching!

I'm quitting the gym this week, I just don't have the time needed for a decent workout there. But I can easily find 20-30 mins to complete this at home. (Besides, I hate the treadmill!)

There doesn't seem to be a drastic change from YAYOG, so if you find it meets your needs, then continue on!
  • krommama
    krommama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I read the YAYOG and even started it, but boy, was it hard! I got the Body By You book when it came out. I just finished Cycle 1 Week 4 Day 1 yesterday. I'm seeing results! Not only do I feel stronger, but my balance and posture have improved also. The progression is a lot slower, but I'm ok with that. I know a lot of people have pooh poohed that the author only added one or two second pauses to a lot of the exercises and called them a separate exercise, but sometimes those pauses make it a lot harder. Or maybe that's just me ; )

I like that it only takes 20 minutes. Since I don't have to drive to the gym and all that entails, I can talk myself into 20 minutes. And since I homeschool, I can set the kids to task and workout almost any time.

I still walk everyday, and I challenged myself to walk 500 miles this year. I've walked 45 so far. A few of my online friends have taken up the challenge too. We've been posting our progress on instagram. I'm houseofkrom there or search #500miles2013.

Cara, do you have the YAYOG app? It has all the exercises that are in both books, I'm pretty sure. I just use the timer on my phone and occasionally look up an exercise to see it demonstrated on my phone.
  • krokador
    Options
    Haha, well I'm actually doing fine with the normal YAYOG programs so I guess I'm gonna stick to it :) Thanks for the feedback!

You probably could email the app makers and ask them if they'd consider integrating the women programs in the app if they're not too complicated. If it's all the same exercises, it shouldn't be that big a deal. I'm sure they'd be happy to release it in a future version :)
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I asked him on facebook about body by you app... According to him , there would not be a separate app ,YAYOG app will incorporate Body by you however its gonna take 6 months or so.
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Krommama, I do have the app, but haven't checked it for compatibility with BBY. I guess it shouldn't be too different from the YAYOG book.

I, too, asked about a BBY app, and all he said was "it's in the works" but no estimate on release.

Just 2 more days of my gym membership left, I'm nervous to quit, it has gotten me this far (along with dietary changes). I just need to reaffirm with myself that I can do this at home, it's cheaper (even if I need a new pair of trail runners for the outdoors) and there's no need to drive. Like Krommama, we homeschool too, so if I can workout while the kids are doing their work, that's more efficient than our lifestyle used to be :)
  • krommama
    Options
    Plus I have found that a 20 minute workout at home leaves almost no room for excuses not to workout.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    I realise this is an old thread, but I can't seem to find anybody else who is doing this programme on the forums! I have the book and am on the second part of it. I much prefer it to YAYOG. It seems simpler and I like the whole body exercises, and the progression. I'd started YAYOG on the easiest setting, and some exercises were still too hard, while some were possibly too easy. Body By You feels more personalised. I have noticed some progression, particularly in the pulling exercises.

I used the app for YAYOG and started using it for BBY but it felt too complicated. As BBY feels more straightforward (so far!) I don't feel I need the app.

I'm doing this to try to replace lifting because I can't afford the gym at the moment. I hope it's doing me good!

Edit: I agree that it's so easy to fit in a 20 minute workout. I've even managed to fit it in at work when I've got in early and am getting things ready (because it's not even 20 full minutes - you can get on with things between the sets).
  • krommama
    Options
    Good to hear it's working for you!

I made the mistake and didn't notice that instead of two sets of 12 like the first two weeks, all the following weeks in Cycle one are three sets of 10. Oops. I just finished my 7th week this morning. This was the first week that I've done 3 sets of 10, and boy was it a lot harder. But I am so pleased with the improvement I'm seeing in my body.
  • Vailara
    Options
    I made the same mistake as well! I think it was because I didn't always have the book with me when I was doing the exercises, so just did them from memory.
  • twostepsforward
    twostepsforward Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Brill! I bought this first on kindle but then changed to the paper book as its easier to stick a few bookmarks in and flick to the relevant exercises!
    After a stuttered start I have just committed to the program. I didnt do the assessment at the start I just decided to start at the eginning for all of them. Yes it will be slower but only by a few days really I think. I wouldnt be far up the ladder anyway!

I have the yayog book too but also just found it too hard to start out on. I hope to progress to it!

Do you get the sense that this program is enough for strength training? So many people do nrol and strong lifts but I would rather not faff around with changing plates on dumbbell s. Its just so much quicker (and tidier) not to use any equipment!
    Also do you supplement with cardio? Mark Lauren does not seem to be a fan but when you want to shed fat...
  • Vailara
    Options
    I don't do an awful lot of cardio. I do a dance class once a week and do exercises in between, and a bit of walking, sometimes cycling, sometimes just doing stuff round the house. I probably should do a little more, not so much from the weight loss perspective as from the endurance perspective - I run out of steam very quickly!

I don't know if the programme is enough for strength training, but I do feel I'm getting stronger on it so it must be doing something, I suppose. Before starting YAYOG I had been doing heavy lifting and I did notice more obvious progression with that. I don't get the buzz from bodyweight exercises that I used to get from heavy lifting, unfortunately, so they don't FEEL as effective - but maybe that doesn't mean anything.

One thing that is slightly odd is that there is such a huge discrepancy in my start points. I didn't work through all the exercises in BBY the first day but started with what I knew I could do from YAYOG, but it seemed odd that I was at exercise 5 for pushing, but exercise 25 for bending.
  • krommama
    Options
    I think it is enough for strength training, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't have time or money to go to a gym.

I walk at least a mile or two almost every day. That's all the cardio I do.

I'd like to add in yoga.
  • krokador
    Options
    I find I get better results if I add in some sort of other workout in, which is why I'm doing a bit of an hybrid with Tapout XT which I just finished at the beginning of january. It's really up to you though. Some of the stuff does get your heart pumping. Do what feels comfortable for you, as long as you see progress, you,re on the right path :)
  • azwildcats7
    azwildcats7 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it today in addition to TurboFire that I've been doing. Excited to see the results!!
  • krommama
    Options
    I just started my 10th week today, and I'm loving the results!
  • Vailara
    Options
    I'm struggling a bit with it at the moment. I'm finding it hard to progress. I seem to have hit a sticking point with the squats in particular. I'm fine doing the single leg box squats, but any attempt at a pistol squat (including the thing holding on to a doorway) hurts my knees a lot! I'm OK with a bit of pain, but I don't want to push through it if I'm actually causing damage - the trouble is it's hard for me to tell! (I didn't have this pain when I used to do weighted back squats). My stupid knees! I still can't do a pushup and I've been working on them for many months (before using this programme).
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I asked him on facebook about body by you app... According to him , there would not be a separate app ,YAYOG app will incorporate Body by you however its gonna take 6 months or so.

I've just emailed the same question. That's a shame. Got book yesterday. Can't wait to start today.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    It's a shame the workout records aren't on the website too.
  • Vailara
    Options
    My knees have been getting worse and doing the exercises in the book is SO painful now! I've been looking at a substitute and am giving weighted (barbell) front squats a go. I tried Hindu squats which seemed easy until I realised you are meant to do 100s of them! I have finally advanced to doing normal press-ups just after I was wondering if I'd ever get there. I'm also not quite sure where to go with the bending exercise - I'm on the last one and have just kept increasing the weight, but I wouldn't say I have perfect form. Sometimes my balance isn't good but some days are better than others. I have to do pyramids next time round and I'm not sure how to do exercises above no. 25. 27 is fine, but 26 will require more balance than I am capable of! (The exercises on the website, I mean).