Northerners

Replies

• DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    From Sheffield, joined MFP app about 2 weeks ago, just logged onto the site for first time today :) Wanting to lose about 4 stone in 6 months (if possible/healthy) :)

Personally think 4 stone in 6 months to too much to quick. Also really hard to achieve. 2lb per week is solid progress but that is also 1 stone every 2 months though that would likely be hard to keep up. Some weeks better than others and all that. Dont want to discourage you, but just make things a bit more realistic!

If you put your stats in to MFP and ask for 2lb per week fat loss it will give you your daily cals. If you doubled that and said 4lb for example, there is a risk that your body says "woah, am I starving here? best keep hold of this fat just in case".

Good exercise each week along with the reduced cals will help. If doing cardio then let the cals burned during it be a bonus. If doing weights then generally eat the cals burned as you refeed the muscle (sorry, dont want to over complicate here).

Its easy to get lost in all of the mis-information. Eat clean, aim realistic, drink water, avoid healthy snacks (as marketed as full of sweetener), dont be scared of fats (good fats like from fish, eggs, nuts, olive oil, coconut oil). Oh and avoid ready meals like the plague!

Good luck :)
  • Nekoki
    Nekoki Posts: 3 Member
    HI I'm originally from Wales but currently live in Huddersfield.
  • zachsmum77
    zachsmum77 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi everyone I live in Huddersfield.

I have been on the weight loss wagon on and off for many years. I have tried many weight loss programmes having had the most success with WW when i lost 4 stones. Unfortunately for one reason or another I have always put all the weight back on.

A few of my colleagues have started WW and SW in the last month or so I feel it's made it easier for me to stick to my weight loss plan. I like MFP because it's free! and I also love the fantastic support you get from everyone on here.
  • GasnotGas
    GasnotGas Posts: 54 Member
    Exiled smoggiie here, still pop up to the North East a few times a year.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Do i class as a northener, from Worcestershire in the Midlands. It is North of Watford Gap :)
  • Don't understand why you'd call anywhere in England north! From Shetland.

A fair point, but "Northern England" if that helps ;)

They beat me to it. Doesn't mean us true (ha!) Northern folks are not included though right??
    Anyone notice the Northerners have better accents? :p
  • jonnie7053
    jonnie7053 Posts: 48 Member
    Hello, I'm from Teesside.

Been using MFP for almost 20 months lost 16kg, run up to six times a week and am half way through Insanity.

Would be nice to add more Northerners to my friends on here, so anyone please feel free to add me to their friends list.
  • DarrelBirkett
    Hi everyone I live in Huddersfield.

I have been on the weight loss wagon on and off for many years. I have tried many weight loss programmes having had the most success with WW when i lost 4 stones. Unfortunately for one reason or another I have always put all the weight back on.

A few of my colleagues have started WW and SW in the last month or so I feel it's made it easier for me to stick to my weight loss plan. I like MFP because it's free! and I also love the fantastic support you get from everyone on here.

Firstly, well done :)

Secondly, you have seen some excellent results before so you know it can be done again, and beaten :)

Putting weight back on is a pitfall many face. I'm no expert but my own opinion is simply this :-

Diet plan = temporary change to reach a goal. Once goal is reached, plan is scrapped, reversal begins.
    Lifestyle change = permanent.

In other words, dont make changes that are unsustainable. Personally I dont like the idea of WW. Sure I can see how it works, but I also see that once you stop it and you eat what you were before, you get back to how you were before so you join WW again and the circle goes on and on. WW is still a business, after all.

What you need is positive chance. No healthy snacks, no "health foods", no short term large effort fixes. What you need is new habits.

Let me give you my example (sorry for going on a bit!). I recently made the following changes that I am now used to and in itself habit forming.

- Coffee now taken black (no more milk)
    - Coffee AM, Green Tea PM, Hot water and lemon 1/2 squeezed late at night
    - Breakfast cereal gone
    - Bread, Pasta both gone
    - Evening Cereal gone (it was my go to snack)
    - Potato gone

Now, don't get me wrong, I still have these "now and again". but that's it, its now and again and not daily. Removing wheat / processed carbs etc have done wonders for me. The main thing is I dont plan on adding them back.

At the weekend I had a white coffee and a bacon buttie as a treat (yum!) but thats it, I now see that as a treat and not a daily thing so I dont mind.

With other people it might be dropping carbonated drinks, biscuits (big no no) and so on. Id say dont rule them out totally as for me, each slip up makes me more determined next time around. I also find that the odd treat helps motivate me.

Ok, Im rambling :P
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    hi everyone .I have been on mfp for quite a while on and off probably nearly a year. left joined sw then tried other plans but now back on mfp .Today is a new start cutting out the junk, drink more water, aiming for whole wheat /meal foods and gonna exer ise more .I have a holiday to look forward to in July and don't want to be feeling self concious.I have about 14 lb left to loose so no excuses this time .Forgot to say I am from Huddersfield .
  • DarrelBirkett
    hi everyone .I have been on mfp for quite a while on and off probably nearly a year. left joined sw then tried other plans but now back on mfp .Today is a new start cutting out the junk, drink more water, aiming for whole wheat /meal foods and gonna exer ise more .I have a holiday to look forward to in July and don't want to be feeling self concious.I have about 14 lb left to loose so no excuses this time .Forgot to say I am from Huddersfield .

2lb per month is a good safe target. You seem to have all the right ideas there! I found TDEE -20% a good workable target. Good luck!
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    thank you. I think for me exercise is a must too .I used to jog three times a week but get really bad back after .I had mri which showed disc problems so hoping to cycle once weather a bit better plus now my youngest at school start 30ds again .I also have eleltical trainer so no excuses, aiming for 10,000 steps a day too with my fitbit
  • ReniaL
    ReniaL Posts: 86 Member
    Hello from Hull, add me if you wish I need as many friends to keep motivated as I can get lol
  • Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    I'm from Cheshire and need all the help I can get to keep me motivated and finally shift this extra baby weight that I've been carrying for the last 13 years ! Got around 3 stone to lose.Help please :wink:
  • JandaMane
    JandaMane Posts: 7 Member
    :smile: Hi All I'm from Runcorn Cheshire currently trying to shed the excess Cider pounds before our August Wedding!

Hoping to shed a stone for June (little break away with my bridesmaid) and then another 1/2 to a stone for August!

Please feel free to add me as I could do with all the support and help I can get
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    HI Im from the Capital of Gods own Country - Leeds.:laugh:

I have just rejoined SW for the 4th and FINAL time. I have about a ton to lose - make that imperial not metric!

I read what you said about lifestyle changes and totally agree with that and everything you said ( having done SW 4th time, WW 3 times, Camebridge diet twice, Herbal life once, Slender twice, Dukan twice, Atkins 3 times, BHF crash diet times, Marine Commando 3 times, pills twice, hypnotisn 3 times, accupuncture, calorie counting Goodness knows how many times - any one olde enough to remember Jackie and the 1000 cal per day diets that were published in magazines in that era? Fasting - longest I lasted was 14 days drinking only grapefruit juice

Any one who wants to lose weight quickly needs to remember how long it took to get to the weight you are unhappy with and how long the fat has had to 'bed-in'

Big BUT, despite agreeing with the need for lifestyle changes, your regime is very severe. I like eating. How do you incorporate the pleasure of eating with family and friends with having in my view stripped out anything that makes eating anything but functional.

Any successful 'body sculptors' or lifestyle changers out there please tell me how you continue to eat pleasurably having an occasional sensuous gastronomic experience with keeping our weight in check. (OH and have the odd slug of vino too:drinker:
  • dannyennis74
    dannyennis74 Posts: 34 Member
    Hi

Am from Cheshire, only had the app a week and been great for tracking my diet, am always happy to give and to receive motivation , feel free to add me , dan
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Hello from Wigan. I'm new here and joined after a shock from a routine blood test. I'm a lifetime vegetarian and eat pretty healthily, it's laziness and lack of motivation that is the problem for me. I was pretty fit and healthy up 10 years ago when I had a child but life conspired against me and certain personal problems lead to lots of weight gain. I hit my half-century in a few weeks and I intend to be on a path to fitness by then. I'm a single parent and self-employed, so I don't have a lot of time or money to spend in a gym, but I have an exercise bike and a road bike so will be using them daily and just generally relying on my feet and two wheels rather than using the car.
  • Hi :D
    From derbyshire , on here because I need motivation to lose the last couple of pounds that I can't seem ti shift. Also for motivation to eat better and work out more.

I have bad eating habits and eat the wrong things at wrong times .. on a daily basis, on average I eat less than 800 cals a day.

Feel free to add me and we can motivate each other.
    Good luck to every one on your weight loss

Kayleigh
  • North Northumberland.
    Started last year and dropped 20lbs - then lost my way in October and have put on about 8 lbs. Right back into it now and signed up for a run in Chamonix (France) in June. so if any Pals need an encouraging Friend - send a request. Good luck to all in the North!!!
  • Danny0950
    Danny0950 Posts: 26 Member
    I'm from Manchester, technically looking to lose around 4-5 stone but started Insanity last week so looking to lose some inches for now. Feel free to add.