Day 8 Paleo - Carb cravings

Options
Hi all,
I am on day 8 of Paleo and my body is really started to crave carbs. I am eating sweet potatoes but I find I need more option. Any advice you have to offer I would appreciate it :smile: !

Jen

Replies

• spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,

Would need a lot more information from you. What are you eating now? Your diary is closed so one could only guess.

If you are looking for carbs to eat choose any vegetable out there.

It may not be a carb craving but a sugar one. You eating a lot of fruit?

Good Luck.
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I started last month I was starving hungry for about two weeks. Then my body adjusted and I don't have the cravings or hunger anymore. If it is really bad you could try a little fruit. I find eating a banana or a small handful of blueberries really helps.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The only way I could get rid of both refined carbs and sugar cravings was to eliminate them COMPLETELY for a good 3 days. Until you are "off" carbs, you'll continue to get cravings. Once you are off, the cravings should subside. For those 3 days, the only carbs you should be consuming are carbs from veggies (avocados, brocolli, etc.) Eliminate sweet potatoes, fruit, etc for those first 3 days - then, if you want them, you can gradually incorporate them again. Remember, sugar is sugar regardless of where it comes from. And, for me, sugar triggers carb cravings (regardless of where the sugar came from).

*just my experience*
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The only way I could get rid of both refined carbs and sugar cravings was to eliminate them COMPLETELY for a good 3 days. Until you are "off" carbs, you'll continue to get cravings. Once you are off, the cravings should subside. For those 3 days, the only carbs you should be consuming are carbs from veggies (avocados, brocolli, etc.) Eliminate sweet potatoes, fruit, etc for those first 3 days - then, if you want them, you can gradually incorporate them again. Remember, sugar is sugar regardless of where it comes from. And, for me, sugar triggers carb cravings (regardless of where the sugar came from).

*just my experience*

This for the most part. It gets easier! Push through!
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options

*just my experience*

THIS.
  • jr23
    jr23 Posts: 10
    Options
    Sorry about that. I will may my diary open for all. I am eating a fair amount of fruit, I think..
  • jr23
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help and tips, much appreciated! I will just keep going. I'm on Day 10 and things are getting better.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

*just my experience*

THIS.

Yep, this! :) Also make sure you're eating lots of healthy fats and protein. Have you reset your macros to a more paleo appropriate setting as opposed to the MFP default? I realise that may be a stupid question, but I gotta ask.
  • jr23
    Options
    Not a stupid question and no I haven"t done that. I will get on that.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    looks like your fat is low and your fruit is high,also be careful with too many nuts.
    berries are fine but melons and bananas could bring on sugar cravings and make you feel like you are craving carbs.
    for the first month it might be an idea to lay low on the fruit until you adjust to this way of eating..agave is not great either,Mark from the Daily Apple says this is not an approved sweetener.honey or maple syrup but again,I wouldn't go there until you have adjusted.
    If you are trying to lose weight 50-100 grams of carbs would be better.Personally,I aim for sub 50 and it all comes from veggies.
    hope things get better :)
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

*just my experience*

This was also my experience. I was having major carb cravings/hunger last week. I was incorporating more carbs than usual, even though they were good carbs. When I backed off the carbs a bit, the cravings/hunger disappeared.
  • jr23
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback anjelevil - I appreciate it! I will cut back on my daily intake of fruits & nuts and focus more on veggies and increase the fat. For me it is tough at the office It's tough during the week - I am surrounded by food at the office. I'm lucky enough to work at a place that offers unlimited snacks – not paleo friendly except for salted nuts & fruit a couple times a week.

triplemom423 - Thanks I should have started off the first 3 days that way. I will limit my self now to 1 fruit a days. I hate throwing away food so I will need to finish what I have.
  • briarashley
    Options
    a handful of nuts and an apple in the afternoon gets me through. im pretty active so i don't worry about limiting my nuts or fruit too much. i also have a banana a day. thats just what works for me but everyone is different
  • nadia712
    nadia712 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Another vote for increasing your fat intake! That's what's helped me through so far. I felt like you did for quite a while, when I started my latest Whole30 - it took me about two weeks to get past my sugar cravings. I feel much, much better now (I'm over three weeks in), so I can tell you for sure that it gets a lot better.

That said.. I think the hardest thing to deal with is the habitual element. The physical cravings fade in a relatively short time, but relearning how to go about your day without having dessert or having a little sweet snack when watching a movie, e.g., takes longer to adjust to (at least for me).

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you'd like. :-)
  • jr23
    Options
    Thanks nadia712 - I am going add you :). It is hard not having a snack during a movie like popcorn or chocolate for a snack!
    I have been increasing my fat intake - hopefully I am not over doing it. I welcome your feedback!
  • jr23
    Options
    briarashley - Once I cut back on the fruits I don't miss sugar as much everyday. That being said, I do want chocolate daily, not a craving just a want :)
  • AngelineTheBaker
    AngelineTheBaker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash -- I mean, I LOVE SPAGHETTI SQUASH!! It is great to trick yourself into thinking you are eating carbs
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^Why would I want to trick myself into thinking I'm eating carbs?

I just eat more meat and vegetables and don't even worry about it.
  • jr23
    Options
    I have to admit day 28 of 47 and I miss pasta
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks nadia712 - I am going add you :). It is hard not having a snack during a movie like popcorn or chocolate for a snack!
    I have been increasing my fat intake - hopefully I am not over doing it. I welcome your feedback!

Find yourself some good 80 or 90% chocolate that doesn't contain soy lechitin. Trader Joe's has a good one (their store brand) that I buy on occasion.

It is only a couple of carbs and minimal sugar. Let one square of chocolate melt on your tongue and that is all you will need. Due to the fat in it, it also helps with increasing your fat intake.