Happy with size, so what next?

Options
So I’m curious how to determine when I’m ready to move to maintenance calories. Since Sarah and SS lowered my calories almost four weeks ago, I’ve lost a nice amount of weight. With my loss and my lifting combined, I’m pretty satisfied with my current size. I definitely still have fat to lose (thighs and butt), but I don’t really need/want to get any smaller. I originally thought I’d like to lose a few more pounds, but at this point, I don’t think I need to. So I’m guess I’m looking for recomp now (and strength gains).

With this being said, what should I do to accomplish this goal? Do I continue at a deficit, but make it smaller? Do I move to maintenance? Or do I wait to change anything until I’ve dropped more fat?

I’m really at a loss on the best way to proceed…

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in a similar position to me. I will get back with my thoughts, which will be based on my own biases as this is really an individual thing.

I take it you really just want to 'firm things up'. Correct? Or do you want to increase size?

However, in the mean time, what is your BF%?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    bump for ensuing answer
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sara. Yes, I basically want to firm things up and it would be great to have defined muscles too. I love that look in women. I'd prefer to not actually be bigger.

I'm unsure of my body fat. I will measure when I get home and get back with you on that. I think it's higher than what you'd expect for my size.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    Sounds like you are in a similar position to me. I will get back with my thoughts, which will be based on my own biases as this is really an individual thing.

I take it you really just want to 'firm things up'. Correct? Or do you want to increase size?

However, in the mean time, what is your BF%?

Yup, I want to firm up, pretty much stay the same size, but get a lot more definition.

I measured my body fat in three ways for you:

Scale: 20.2
    Military: 20.5
    Covert Bailey: 23.8
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    Just wanted to mention this too (not that it necessarily has any bearing on the conversation at hand, but I was excited and wanted to share).

I compared my numbers this morning. A year ago, at my lowest weight, I weighed 6 pounds less than I do now. However, my measurements are almost exactly the same. So I’m as small at 137 pounds now as I was at 131 pounds then. How cool is that???
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention this too (not that it necessarily has any bearing on the conversation at hand, but I was excited and wanted to share).

I compared my numbers this morning. A year ago, at my lowest weight, I weighed 6 pounds less than I do now. However, my measurements are almost exactly the same. So I’m as small at 137 pounds now as I was at 131 pounds then. How cool is that???

I think that is AWESOME!! You should be really proud of that accomplishment.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Totally cool - well done.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Yankee- thanks forpsting this! This is my quandry right now, too.

I keep reading to lookup,old posts instead of asking a same question. So I am glad I founf this, but not sure it has been fully answered... And I guess an answer for you may not be the same as what they would answer for me.....

So maybe we should just ask our questions and not worry about finding older posts with the same question...

Oh well, bumping to gather information on the topic!
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat too! Looking for more definition, but for me, at 17-18% BF I think maybe bulking is my only option. And I'm not really willing to do that going into summer :0. So I might work on maintenance and strength gains for now and then bulk in the fall.

Am watching this thread very carefully for more input....
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Same position. Watching this thread too...
  • Latte_Lover
    Latte_Lover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    While you wait for Sara and/or SS to respond I will answer by telling you what I did and what I am currently doing.

I moved onto maintenance in April of last year and focused on lifting weights to lower my BF% . I think in the period of 4 months it went from 18% to 15% and my last reading after returning from vacation, holidays, etc BF% was at 16%. So I guess my goal has been to maintain it in a range that is doable for me. I eat approximately 1700 - 1850 calories / day, which is still a small deficit from my TDEE ( about 100 - 150). I do this 1) because I really want to lose the 2 pounds I gained during vacation/holidays and 2) because everything is based on calculations and I would rather be conservative on calories I eat. Some people might say that having that deficit is still maintenance and they might be correct since the scale hasn't moved since Jan but my measurements, etc are all the same as they were pre - vacation time.

I don't think I have the knowledge Sara and SS have to put a routine together so I just look online for programs. I am currently doing the Ultimate Female guide from SimplyShredded. It is my second go around with this and I think this is what has really provide the definition you see in my pictures today.

Not sure I answered your question but I thought I would share my experience :)
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    While you wait for Sara and/or SS to respond I will answer by telling you what I did and what I am currently doing.

I moved onto maintenance in April of last year and focused on lifting weights to lower my BF% . I think in the period of 4 months it went from 18% to 15% and my last reading after returning from vacation, holidays, etc BF% was at 16%. So I guess my goal has been to maintain it in a range that is doable for me. I eat approximately 1700 - 1850 calories / day, which is still a small deficit from my TDEE ( about 100 - 150). I do this 1) because I really want to lose the 2 pounds I gained during vacation/holidays and 2) because everything is based on calculations and I would rather be conservative on calories I eat. Some people might say that having that deficit is still maintenance and they might be correct since the scale hasn't moved since Jan but my measurements, etc are all the same as they were pre - vacation time.

I don't think I have the knowledge Sara and SS have to put a routine together so I just look online for programs. I am currently doing the Ultimate Female guide from SimplyShredded. It is my second go around with this and I think this is what has really provide the definition you see in my pictures today.

Not sure I answered your question but I thought I would share my experience :)

Thanks for sharing what you're doing. Your results are exactly what I'm looking for - body fat reduction while lifting (not caring about the scale). Because I've lost another two pounds, I've decided to take a diet break (sounds less scary than maintenance) and upped my calories to 1800. This is still at a TDEE cut (assuming that the calcs are right, which I think they're not). However, I'd still love to hear feedback to see if what I'm doing is in the right direction.

Oh, and I'm doing the NRoL Supercharged program.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just found this group and love it, BTW.

I hit goal size last August and bumped my calories to maintenance after eating at 10-15% cut for ~5 months. I've been eating at TDEE since last August, but continued heavy lifting first with the NROL for Abs (I did the program very slowly at 2 days/wk, took a week off between each stage, and had about 6 weeks of illness spread throughout 5 months) and now I'm just starting Supercharged this week.

I've continued to drop sizes since last August (was a size 8 then now a size 4/6), but my weight has stayed the same. My bodyfat has come down a bit from ~27% to ~25%...although I don't think I have an accurate measurement of that.

So my plan is: Continue eating at TDEE, get an accurate measurement of BF%, and continue tracking my lifting (I've seen significant strength gains).

Not sure if that helps...I've just sort of winged it because there isn't much information about maintenance. Most everything I find is 'How to lose weight', 'How to lose fat', 'How to bulk' and none of those seem to describe 'Maintain weight, don't get (much) smaller, increase strength'.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Could you remind me what lifting routine you do and how long you have been doing it (and any other routines you have done).
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Tagging to remember to read responses :)
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    Could you remind me what lifting routine you do and how long you have been doing it (and any other routines you have done).

Right now, I'm doing the NRoL Supercharged program. Almost finished with Basic Training 1, so that means I've been doing it about a month now. Before that, I was doing a bastardized version of Strong Lifts (same lifts but 3 sets of 10 and not increasing weight as fast as called for). I did that from about early Oct through Jan, although I admit to not being as consistent with my workouts as I am now. (I finally have my head back in the game.) I took a diet/lifting hiatus from April through October, not good. Not good at all...

On my off days, I typically just walk the dogs (2-3 miles, 3.5-4 mph depending on the day). I despise cardio.

Oh, and when I say I don't want to get smaller, I mean, I don't want to get skinnier. Losing inches from lifting is great though!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So, I would eat at a slight deficit (200 cals or so) and focus on doing your strength training. Do that for a good few months. When/if you get too lean for your liking, just up to maintenance. At that point I would re-assess whether you want to do a slight bulk then cut to add a bit more muscle mass or just continue as is.

The logic behind this is, if you want to 'replace' fat with muscle (and it does not actually replace it, but that's the end result), you need to drop the fat then build the muscle. Leaning out a little more will serve two purposes: 1) you may still be able to make some small 'newbie' gains on a deficit and 2) you will add weight when you bulk and it is better to be a little under your desired end weight if possible when you start as this make bulking 'easier' as you do not have to cut as much when done (plus it makes the 'gaining fat' part of a bulk easier to handle imo.

The other alternative is to do a composition where you basically calorie cycle within the week - in a surplus for lifting days and a deficit for non-lifting days. I am not a huge fan of this method personally as it is very inefficient and hit and miss imo. However, unless you are in any hurry to gain some muscle and do not mind the cyclical nature of it, it may be a better option for you.

As I mentioned before, the above is colored by my personal bias so please take the advice accordingly.

I can totally relate to the despising cardio.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    So, I would eat at a slight deficit (200 cals or so) and focus on doing your strength training. Do that for a good few months. When/if you get too lean for your liking, just up to maintenance. At that point I would re-assess whether you want to do a slight bulk then cut to add a bit more muscle mass or just continue as is.

The logic behind this is, if you want to 'replace' fat with muscle (and it does not actually replace it, but that's the end result), you need to drop the fat then build the muscle. Leaning out a little more will serve two purposes: 1) you may still be able to make some small 'newbie' gains on a deficit and 2) you will add weight when you bulk and it is better to be a little under your desired end weight if possible when you start as this make bulking 'easier' as you do not have to cut as much when done (plus it makes the 'gaining fat' part of a bulk easier to handle imo.

The other alternative is to do a composition where you basically calorie cycle within the week - in a surplus for lifting days and a deficit for non-lifting days. I am not a huge fan of this method personally as it is very inefficient and hit and miss imo. However, unless you are in any hurry to gain some muscle and do not mind the cyclical nature of it, it may be a better option for you.

As I mentioned before, the above is colored by my personal bias so please take the advice accordingly.

I can totally relate to the despising cardio.

Thanks Sara! The first option sounds like a decent plan (easier than the second), and I'll give it a try. I figured I'd probably have to continue at a cut to lose the body fat so I'm not terribly surprised. I might try 1700 a day since at 1600 I was losing over a pound a week.

This week and next I'm taking a diet break for my sanity, so I'll start this right after that.