Please introduce yourself

Options
kayceeme
kayceeme Posts: 105 Member
Welcome, group members! Please introduce yourself and tell the group a bit about your experiences with or interest in The Plan.

Replies

• montemobile
    Options
    Just got back on board after making it through 6 days on the plan earlier in the month. I'm kind of "winging" it with a modified cleanse (days 1-3) and jump to day 6 to test a new protein, since I already know the results of days 1-6 for me. So far, so good. I came back to the plan because of how much better I was sleeping! I am a mom, school teacher and NOT a morning person. Mornings kill me! But I wake up almost refreshed on the plan. Weight loss is a bonus for me! Since my original start on the plan, I've lost 5 of my 10 "just won't budge" pounds.

I've been using myfitnesspal for years to track calories. Now I'm using it to track my weight loss, fat, sodium, and protein. So glad there is a group here... I think my co-workers are getting sick of hearing me talk about it!
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi, and welcome. Glad to hear that The Plan is working for you and that idea of waking refreshed is certainly a great benefit! I am not a morning person either.

I have been talking to my daughter about The Plan and I think she's pretty sick of it, too!
  • bry8iyze
    bry8iyze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi kayceeme, Thanks for creating this group! I just came back to fitness pal after giving up on yet another attempt to lose weight last year. I just finished the first 20 days on Plan and couldn't be happier. I used a paper journal for the first 20 days but realized I can easily adapt the fitness pal app to my needs since I intend to continue on with the plan. My success with it is not just fab in terms of weight loss but in how I feel and what I've learned about what's good for me and what's not. What a shock to find out that steak is inflammatory for me! I'm not a huge meat eater but beef is definitely a regular a part of my diet so a work-around for that is in order! What's most fun to me is the creative challenge to come up with great tasting food within the confines of limited food choices. I love to cook and I love to experiment with new recipes. In fact, since I haven't tested tomotoes and ketchup yet, I recently created a 'tomatoless' ketchup with mashed beets and butternut squash. With the right seasonings you know it's different but it tastes good enough to substitute and looks just like the real thing! I look forward to sharing tips and tricks with other "Planners"!

18503861.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi bry8lyze,

Welcome to the group. I noticed there wasn't one for The Plan so decided to start one since it seems like Planners could benefit from sharing their experiences.

I am new to The Plan and I am sure that I will have lots of questions as I go along for folks like you who are a bit ahead of me in the process. So happy to hear you've had success! Wondering what foods are lurking out there that I will find I am reactive to.

One of the things that I appreciate about The Plan is that Lyn-Genet isn't saying that even if you find you react to some of your favorite foods, it doesn't mean you have to eliminate them totally. She seems to provide strategies to help you manage them.

That is a really creative alternative to ketchup!
  • scubagal71
    scubagal71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hello ! I am on day 17, day 11 in the plan (Superbowl really set me back, like a 5lb gain overnight!)- but so far I have only failed bread and testing my second protein today (Egg).

Doing it with my husband, he failed chickpea and steak- so much work, but the first thing in two years that I have lost weight on- I feel like I have done everything perfect, worked out- spinning, crossfit, WWpts- I am eating and losing, so happy!
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi scubagal,

Welcome to the group!

Since I have not yet actually started on The Plan, it's very encouraging to hear that others are getting good results. I can't say that I have done everything perfectly, but it just seems to be extraordinarily difficult for me to lose weight unless I am willing to be hungry all the time. I've tried many things as well.

That sensitivity to bread would be a tough one for me! Good luck with the egg test.
  • hwldog279
    hwldog279 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi kayceeme,

I'm glad to have found this group! I have been on again off again (more off than on) with The Plan for couple of months and am glad to find others who are working this also. I got into MFP to document my goals and hopefully stick to it this time and make better choices so I was very excited to find this support group. My husband seems to think this is just a fad diet...ok I did jump on the Atkins band wagon.

I'm doing the dairy free plan since I already know I have dairy allergies. I do sabotage myself as I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheese (did I say I LOVE cheese?) Does anybody else find that the thing they crave the most is the food they should probably avoid the most? And I had a major set back with the Superbowl. So far reactive to soy sauce, tomato juice(superbowl), sausage(superbowl), any dairy product and need to retest couscous/pasta and green beans.
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi hwldog!

I am glad you found the group, too. Got a chuckle out of your "Atkins band wagon" comment. I am sure the Superbowl did in many a "Planner" :)

I am still in the cleanse phase so haven't yet discovered what I react to. I am hoping it isn't some of my favorites, for example tomatoes, bread and cheese. (pizza lover!)

I've found that MFP is a handy way to track weight as well as water consumption.
  • mrscruz625
    mrscruz625 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    hey there! read the book and so nervous about starting this. I dont like alot of the detox foods. Blah!
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi mrscruz!

Welcome to the group and glad you found us!

I agree with your assessment of the detox foods, but at 5 days into the process I'm starting to adapt. I found the chicken at day 3 and 4 as well as the roasted veggies are pretty good. Not having cravings for my old favorite foods, which came as a bit of a surprise.

Days 1 and 2 are not as tasty IMO, but you probably won't go hungry.

One piece of advice I wish I'd heard prior to starting is to try to get most of your food prepped for days 1-3 before beginning. I had a tough detox and chopping veggies wasn't exactly what I wanted to do.

Also, stock up on food containers as most of the recipes are for multiple portions, especially the soups. Had to go buy myself some Gladware!
  • mrscruz625
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I plan on going shopping and preparing on Saturday then starting this on Sunday. Monday I dont have work so I have some time to adjust. Carrot soup does not sound good to me at all! Plus I dont like mushrooms. I am so glad to find this group!
  • mrscruz625
    Options
    And my name is Renee :) 35 from Ohio married three kids 14, 11, 7 work full time and just bust busy busy
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I followed the plan for most of the last month, but didn't really finish "testing" foods. Got stuck on safe foods and then tend to go "off plan" for the weekends. Over all, I feel much better and found out a lot about what my body reacts to. I lost six pounds and have been able to keep it off. It is so easy to go back to your "friendly" day menus and get back on track.

I did not do well on the flax granola. Made me nauseous, so I switched to a hot rice cereal from Bob's Red Mill. The important thing is to find at least 3 safe breakfast choices and rotate them so your body doesn't build up an allergy to those foods.

I have psoriasis and it started clearing up fairly well. Then I had a sauce on a stir-fry that had soy in it, and the psoriasis flared up. It is great to find how food affects these conditions and how your body can heal with the right foods.

If you haven't discovered this yet, you can follow Lyn-Genet on twitter. She gives out lots of tips and answers questions almost daily. Also, on her website she gives Tips For Book Readers with new menus and specialized menus for thyroid, vegans, etc. Go to "http://lyngenet.com/tips-for-book-readers/" for more information.

I had spaghetti with a little tomato sauce and buttered garlic bread and 2 turkey meatballs last night and still lost a pound! And a little chocolate chip cookie! But chick peas make me gain. Who knew? Find the foods that work for you and for all things, moderation is the key. Don't go overboard on any 1 food.

Best wishes to you all and hope you have successful results!
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi wiifitfan and welcome to the group. Your spaghetti dinner sounds great and gives me hope! Thanks for posting your great tips!
  • caroline212
    Options
    So glad to find this group. I am twenty days into The Plan, down 9.8 pounds. Haven't followed the days exactly but I am around day 14. Looking forward to sharing what I have learned and hearing others tips and experiences. Anyone who is just starting, this is the easiest way to lose weight, but the prep and shopping can be hard. I have discovered Earthbound Farms Mixed Baby Kale-lifesaver! Big bag at Costco for $5, just grab a few handfuls and throw them in the pan-yum. Oh, and most importantly, the aches and pains of this 52 yo are gone, I am feeling younger by the day.
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the group and I'm glad you found us, too. Great to hear that you're having such good results! I've also found I can't quite go absolutely along with the days as they are laid out in the book. I was at Day 7 but did the restaurant test instead so now am going to a "safe day" before going on to Day 8.
  • ljbeagles
    ljbeagles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am on day 6. The scale shows a 7 lb reduction and it hasn't budged for two days. I guess rye and lamb are on my try again later days. This is all new to me. It takes, time and planning but I'm worth it....

It's good to know there are other "Planners" on myfitnesspal.

Here's to feeling great!

Lisa
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the group! Yes, The Plan takes time and planning but many are reporting great results. Congratulations on your 7 lbs. That's great in such a short time! I also seemed to plateau a bit after about a week into it.
  • wjleffi
    wjleffi Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Wendy. I have been following the plan for nearly a month. In the first week I dropped 6 pounds, found I was sleeping better, my waist went down by 3 inches and my stomach felt so much better! Digestion issues are much better. Ran in to a few things that I reacted to that slowed down the weight loss, but I am going to stick with it. Trying to add in things to make it easier in social settings - parties and restaurants are challenging! I have found that I love the salad greens with cooked vegetables. The cooked veg tastes so rich, especially with the nuts, seeds and avocados added in.
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the group. I'm glad you found us and happy to hear that things are going well for you. I agree that social settings are difficult and ran into the restaurant dilemma this weekend. One of the things I appreciate about The Plan is that if I need to go off plan for a day and react, I can follow it with a safe day and the weight just comes right back off.

I've been on TP for a couple of weeks now but am only on Day 11, due to some detours, reactions, etc. I'm down about 6-7 lbs and, best of all for me, have lost 2" from my waistline.