Over 50 and Single

Options

Replies

• marbisi
    marbisi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi 413bb! I am so happy for you that you have lost 25 lbs this year. I just started too, and have 85 to go. I haven't lost anything yet. But I know I am learning a lot from this site.

Hi Donna, I totally understand the bagel thing. Breads are my weakness and my comfort food. I could eat them like there's no tomorrow. Sorry to hear about it bringing you down. How are you getting past it?
  • renate1958
    renate1958 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi bb. Welcome. If anything will succeed for me, keeping track of calories will. My sense of proportion is so off kilter that I don't know what a 'normal' serving is any more. But, I keep trying.

Hang in there.
  • marbisi
    Options
    Yeah I don't know what proportions are supposed to be either. I remember once reading about the size of a muffin. The ones that we are used to seeing are a little bigger than a cupcake, are actually about 4 muffins worth. Crazy! Who eats a muffin the size of a tablespoon?
  • renate1958
    Options
    I always go for the one with the most calories. Makes it a little nicer on weigh in day.
  • marbisi
    Options
    So we're over 50 and single. I was never a beauty queen and I don't care much about make up and fashion anyway, but when I was younger and thinner at least guys would look at me. I keep hoping I will find someone, but think it's very hard with so much extra weight. I don't feel lonely and I am pretty independent, but I would like to have companionship. I recently moved to a new area, and don't know anyone here. They say as we get older, single men are harder to find, and I have found that to be true. Seems like all the guys are married or 20 years too young. I am hoping that if I lose weight, maybe that one guy I am looking for will find me.

So what's your story?
  • sjeannie
    sjeannie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing this week?

I'm doing good. I went to my nutritionist last week. I'd gained 1 pound...but according to his gizmo thinggy that he hooks me up to, it was a pound of muscle. Also, the exercising has upped my metabolism.
  • marbisi
    Options
    Hi sjeannie,

Does your insurance cover a nutritionist? I've never been to one. I think it's wonderful that the pound you found was muscle. I usually hate to see an extra pound. So if you gained a pound of muscle, does that mean that you also lost fat? I gage my weight on how tight my clothes are, and they are getting tighter. I am tired of buying bigger clothes and the whole hating myself for being so fat thing. I try not to feel that way, but when I have to buy clothes, it gets bad.
    It sounds like you are on a good trend. How much time do you spend exercising? Is it cardio or strength training?
  • renate1958
    Options
    Things going OK here. In response to further up, I've always been overweight. I hit puberty and that was it. Now, 40 years later, I'm still struggling. I always the 'diets' that are around now were around back when I was 'dieting', I wouldn't be as heavy as I am now.

And, now that I'm through menopause, I find I'm not that interested in a relationship any more. Weird as I always wanted one but never had one. Never married, no kids.
  • marbisi
    Options
    Some women I know that are divorced and/or retired, are happier being single. I've been single and raising my son on my own for the last 12 years, but I just don't really see myself as being alone. There is so much I still want to do and I would like to have someone to share it all with. If it doesn't happen it won't be the end of the world though.

I think I am doing better on the eating part. I have changed some of my diet, but am still not drinking enough water, or getting enough exercise. The days that I drink enough water, I don't feel hungry, so it really works to my benefit. I have a new pedometer, so I am going to work my way up to 10,000 steps. There is also a gym I can use, but I haven't made a plan to start using it yet.

Are you doing any exercising? If so, what is working for you?
  • marbisi
    Options
    Gotta make it quick this morning. Getting ready for work. I started a new diet last week, and I am glad I have lost 5 lbs, but I already feel like nothing else has come off. I guess that's not really true. I wish it was coming off faster! I don't SEE any difference...
  • renate1958
    Options
    I'm slogging along. Having such a hard time. The Cadbury Creme eggs are out! Argh!!!!!!! I'm such a sugar addict. Things are quiet here otherwise. Working a lot with the rescue and trying to get out of the house,
  • renate1958
    Options
    Marbisi - Hang in there. Just don't give up. I've had a couple bad days, Hoping to keep things going the best I can.
  • renate1958
    Options
    I try to put quotes in as often as possible. Maybe they will help some.
  • marbisi
    Options
    I realized I am not getting enough calories. Starving too much was making me feel weak and unfocused. I upped my intake a little bit and am feeling much better. It was still a little bit low yesterday, so I am going to add a little bit more today. I also got in more time walking since the weather was so nice. It's hard to get in walks when the weather is bad.
  • marbisi
    Options
    I did add some extra fruit or veggies and brought my calories up. Am doing great now and feel like the weight is coming off, even if I can't see it yet. I am going on vacation in two weeks, and am concerned I won't be able to stick with my diet. Has anyone else had trouble or figured out how to stay on the diet?
  • christineoak
    Options
    vacations can be hard, i went last week, stayed w/ friends & relatives, so i found a gym in the area and they gave me a free pass and i walked when i had time.
  • christineoak
    Options
    i am seeing an awful lot of people chatting about this....Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred...but they all seem to be half my age...so has anyone tried it?
  • marbisi
    Options
    I haven't seen it or heard anyone talking about it here at work. A lot of people at work talk about P90X and Insanity workout. I am not ready to do those yet! I am still trying to get all my walking in.
  • christineoak
    Options
    i have decided to start the 30 day shred tomorrow anyone like to join me?
  • marbisi
    Options
    Wow! You go! Let us slow people know how it goes :-)

I am still not making my 10,000 steps :( I also hate seeing pizza commercials because I miss it so much! Well, at least it's Friday and I made it through another week :-)