Are there any Crunchy Mamas Out There?

Options
123457»

Replies

• nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Met with the OB, he doesn't understand why I wouldn't want an epidural but is OK with it and his c-section rate is 25-35% (by his estimate) which is below the local average so I'm ok with that. He seems very personable and everything that we talked about made since to me. I asked what birth positions he would be OK with and he said "whatever you're comfortable with as long as I don't need to lie on the ground to catch the baby" So we are switching and I'm real happy with the decision. He also said that if the Midwife agrees to be on call for me regardless of if it is her night that he's OK with that. His only caveat is that it be at the hospital he happens to be at that night just in case he is needed. Seems fair to me!

I am so happy that you found a practice that you feel good with!!! That is so awesome!!! PS If you have a facebook, a great page to like is Birth Without Fear... they have tons of info, a blog and lovely birth stories of all kinds! And you can also post questions, so if you were still looking for a doula, their facebook community could give you help/ info!
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Met with the OB, he doesn't understand why I wouldn't want an epidural but is OK with it and his c-section rate is 25-35% (by his estimate) which is below the local average so I'm ok with that. He seems very personable and everything that we talked about made since to me. I asked what birth positions he would be OK with and he said "whatever you're comfortable with as long as I don't need to lie on the ground to catch the baby" So we are switching and I'm real happy with the decision. He also said that if the Midwife agrees to be on call for me regardless of if it is her night that he's OK with that. His only caveat is that it be at the hospital he happens to be at that night just in case he is needed. Seems fair to me!

I am so happy that you found a practice that you feel good with!!! That is so awesome!!! PS If you have a facebook, a great page to like is Birth Without Fear... they have tons of info, a blog and lovely birth stories of all kinds! And you can also post questions, so if you were still looking for a doula, their facebook community could give you help/ info!

Thanks so much for suggesting that group. I am loving reading all the birth stories!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well, I did it! I put in the call to my doctor, and she gave me the "all clear" to go ahead with a midwife/home birth! I can't tell you how excited I am. Now, I am totally aware that homebirths are not for everyone. And that is totally cool! But in this case, I really feel it was what I needed to do. So I met with a midwife that I have been acquainted with for a while, and we completely hit it off! We were on the same page every step of the way. Everything that my husband and I would request, she already does as part of her normal routine:
    She strives to keep a calm atmosphere, she is there when you need her, and not there when you don't. She encourages moving and changing position, family involvement, and lets the dad catch the baby (though my husband is squeamish and says he doesn't want to- lol!). She has a great staff, keeps up with training, holds classes for all kinds of topics from breastfeeding to making your own kefir. She really pushes good nutrition and exercise and ways to prevent complications, instead of dealing with them when they arise. She took the time to print out exercises I can do for my prolapse AND gave me some equipment to work with. She doesn't break the water unless absolutely necessary, she won't cut the cord unless there is an emergency, or its too short, and puts the baby on the mothers chest immediately so the mother is the first one the baby sees and really feels. She doesn't even check the gender. She lets the parents do that. All procedures are done right there on the bed next to Mom, whenever I am ready to let them. She only lives 5 minutes away, is available day and night, and is already preparing me with natural ways to combat my post-partum depression (since I've had it with both kids). And, she is the mother of 11 kids and a grandmother of lots of kids, so while my kids were running around like little hooligans, it didn't even phase her. She smiled, included them, and gave them granola bars.
    Ok, so you can see that I am seriously excited. But for now, no one besides my Mom and 2 closest friends know what we are doing. People can have some seriously rude, negative comments. So we are just going to let those people keep their opinions to themselves for a bit, while we enjoy getting ready for something totally new and different for us.
    Any advice, encouragement, suggestions are always appreciated! I feel like a super crunchy mama now :laugh:
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    Well, I did it! I put in the call to my doctor, and she gave me the "all clear" to go ahead with a midwife/home birth! I can't tell you how excited I am. Now, I am totally aware that homebirths are not for everyone. And that is totally cool! But in this case, I really feel it was what I needed to do. So I met with a midwife that I have been acquainted with for a while, and we completely hit it off! We were on the same page every step of the way. Everything that my husband and I would request, she already does as part of her normal routine:
    She strives to keep a calm atmosphere, she is there when you need her, and not there when you don't. She encourages moving and changing position, family involvement, and lets the dad catch the baby (though my husband is squeamish and says he doesn't want to- lol!). She has a great staff, keeps up with training, holds classes for all kinds of topics from breastfeeding to making your own kefir. She really pushes good nutrition and exercise and ways to prevent complications, instead of dealing with them when they arise. She took the time to print out exercises I can do for my prolapse AND gave me some equipment to work with. She doesn't break the water unless absolutely necessary, she won't cut the cord unless there is an emergency, or its too short, and puts the baby on the mothers chest immediately so the mother is the first one the baby sees and really feels. She doesn't even check the gender. She lets the parents do that. All procedures are done right there on the bed next to Mom, whenever I am ready to let them. She only lives 5 minutes away, is available day and night, and is already preparing me with natural ways to combat my post-partum depression (since I've had it with both kids). And, she is the mother of 11 kids and a grandmother of lots of kids, so while my kids were running around like little hooligans, it didn't even phase her. She smiled, included them, and gave them granola bars.
    Ok, so you can see that I am seriously excited. But for now, no one besides my Mom and 2 closest friends know what we are doing. People can have some seriously rude, negative comments. So we are just going to let those people keep their opinions to themselves for a bit, while we enjoy getting ready for something totally new and different for us.
    Any advice, encouragement, suggestions are always appreciated! I feel like a super crunchy mama now :laugh:

I am so excited for you, mama! I can't wait for my home birth, and and excited to have a fellow home birth mama! I have almost all of my supplies ready, and just need to pick a a few more things. Does your midwife have a birth kit that you buy, or do you have to compile your supplies? I tuned out all negativity, and refuse to let anyone give me any negative energy or opinions! It is your birth, and you are strong! Check out Bring Birth Home and Birth Without Fear on facebook. They have super- awesome birth stories!
  • iampanda
    Options

I am so excited for you, mama! I can't wait for my home birth, and and excited to have a fellow home birth mama! I have almost all of my supplies ready, and just need to pick a a few more things. Does your midwife have a birth kit that you buy, or do you have to compile your supplies? I tuned out all negativity, and refuse to let anyone give me any negative energy or opinions! It is your birth, and you are strong! Check out Bring Birth Home and Birth Without Fear on facebook. They have super- awesome birth stories!

Thank you! I love that there are like-minded Moms on here! My midwife just gave me a list of supplies to get, but a lot of them I can get at yard sales (such as old towels and cloths) and the dollar store (wash cloths, buckets, extra laundry basket), and a site called In His Hands Birth Supply. They have great prices for all the hospital-type stuff (mattress covers, chux pads, extra large maxis, etc). It really doesn't look like it will cost much. My husband also works in the medical industry, and may be able to order the things I need even cheaper. That works out nice.
    I am really excited- I feel like a total hippie. I breastfeed, we will be cloth diapers, and now a home birth. I love it. It actually make me look forward to the birth experience! I will be able to have a good experience to share, instead of the "horror stories" that my sister-in-law has after her hospital birth (and yet, she thinks home births are ridiculous?).
    I think its a good idea to just tune out the negativity. I definitely don't need it. I don't know why people choose this time to be rude and opinionated. Which is why I only told a few people I knew wouldn't be mean. I think my Mom has a few reservations about it, since she has had 4 kids and never even had a natural birth. But she has not said anything negative. She knows I am just different than her and my sister, and she's ok with that.
    I wish you all the best with your home birth! We'll have to come back here and swap stories! When are you due?
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I'm homing birthing too and really excited for you! Sounds like if things go to plan you will have an amazing birth! Have you thought of a birth pool or are you just going to do without? I've known people who've done both and were happy both ways. A few of my friends have homebirthed and have nothing but positive stories. We are having our 4.5 year old daughter at the birth (as long as that is okay with her), I'm quiet in labour and the scary bits will be under the water. We are going to let her find out the gender first. Anyway just wanted to say I'm excited for you. Way to go get what you want!
  • iampanda
    Options

I'm homing birthing too and really excited for you! Sounds like if things go to plan you will have an amazing birth! Have you thought of a birth pool or are you just going to do without? I've known people who've done both and were happy both ways. A few of my friends have homebirthed and have nothing but positive stories. We are having our 4.5 year old daughter at the birth (as long as that is okay with her), I'm quiet in labour and the scary bits will be under the water. We are going to let her find out the gender first. Anyway just wanted to say I'm excited for you. Way to go get what you want!

Awesome! I am not quiet during labor- well, at least not in a hospital setting and being as unprepared as I was. But our kids will be here, though they probably won't be in the room during the actual birth. My 5-year-old daughter does want to help cut the umbilical cord though. I am not going with a water birth, but I have heard awesome things about them! Right now I just don't want one more thing to prepare. But who knows. Maybe down the road if we are blessed with more kids?
  • VonHocker08
    VonHocker08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We are planning a homebirth :) possible water birth, just kind of depends how I feel closer to time. But its definately an option. I plan on breast feeding and doing baby led weaning, with no traditional baby foods. :) Also if you really want to get into it.. haha.. baby wearing and cosleeping. :)
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    We are movingand I found a practice that will let me do a home birth, I could not be happier!!!!
  • nursenikki829
    Options
    I am so excited to have so many fellow home birth mamas!!!!! When are you all due? My EDD is April 15th, so in less than 4 weeks I will be full term! I have never been early with any pregnancy, but I nervous this time because I don't want to go into labor before 37 weeks and risk out! I am planning a home water birth. My midwives have about 4 tubs that they allow us to borrow for our births. I just had to purchase my tub liner. I am really excited, and I am starting to get my bedroom/ birthing room ready... I have almost all of my supplies, so now I am just picking up some comforts for me... aromatherapy candles, essential oils and working on my birth playlist. For those f you that are unsure if you want to birth in water, and have not done it before... I HIGHLY recommend it! I have had one "land" birth and two water births so far, and the water birth is a million times better... it actually doesn't even compare. I also noticed that my babies were more calm and relaxed, and my pain was better controlled.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to have so many fellow home birth mamas!!!!! When are you all due? My EDD is April 15th, so in less than 4 weeks I will be full term! I have never been early with any pregnancy, but I nervous this time because I don't want to go into labor before 37 weeks and risk out! I am planning a home water birth. My midwives have about 4 tubs that they allow us to borrow for our births. I just had to purchase my tub liner. I am really excited, and I am starting to get my bedroom/ birthing room ready... I have almost all of my supplies, so now I am just picking up some comforts for me... aromatherapy candles, essential oils and working on my birth playlist. For those f you that are unsure if you want to birth in water, and have not done it before... I HIGHLY recommend it! I have had one "land" birth and two water births so far, and the water birth is a million times better... it actually doesn't even compare. I also noticed that my babies were more calm and relaxed, and my pain was better controlled.

Not long to go for you! That's great you can borrow a pool. I'm not sure yet if our's has one we can borrow but I hope so. I'm not due until July, we'll be having the pool in our conservatory so hopefully it will be warm regardless of what the lovely English summer weather decides to do. (most likely rain and be cold) I didn't birth in water last time but spent most of my time labouring in the bath and the difference was amazing! The pain was so much worse when I got out. I'm really looking forward to being at home after the birth and being able to have my husband and daughter with me and not being on an extremely hot hospital ward in a room with someone else. Last time my baby screamed all night and we kept the poor other woman awake.
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For those of you that select/delay vaccination

Can anyone give me some advice on which vaccinations you went with? How old your babies were? Etc.

My doctor wants to start shots at 2months, I don't feel comfortable.

I began vaccinating my son at 3 years of age, which was one year ago. I started with the DTP every 6 months. He will receive his last DTP in 6 months from now. 6 months from then or if we go to Europe my son will start the MMR vax. I'm giving him one vaccine at a time every 6 months. I eventually want him fully vaccinated by the time he leaves for college but I didn't think infant vaccines or multiple vaccines at once were for him. His father had childhood seizures and that puts my son at an increased risk of getting them as well.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options

Can anyone give me some advice on which vaccinations you went with? How old your babies were? Etc.

I am not planning to vaccinate. One of my friends mentioned a specific vaccine that she really wishes she would have given her kid because he did catch it, I just can't remember what it is right now. I do plan to research that and possibly get a that vaccine. As the doctor recommends vaccines I plan to research what I am truly vaccinating against, the likely hood they could catch it, and what could happen if they did catch it. From there I may or may not vaccinate. I think it's silly to get hep B as soon as the baby is born. What is the likely hood your child is going to encounter infected blood?! Basically I'm not totally against vaccines but I plan to educate myself a LOT and being choosy about what vaccines to get.

P.S. My sister's pediatrician told her that breast feeding for 2 years is equivalent to the child getting all of your vaccines. I'm not sure how I feel about BFing that long but it's something to think about
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

I am not planning to vaccinate. One of my friends mentioned a specific vaccine that she really wishes she would have given her kid because he did catch it, I just can't remember what it is right now. I do plan to research that and possibly get a that vaccine. As the doctor recommends vaccines I plan to research what I am truly vaccinating against, the likely hood they could catch it, and what could happen if they did catch it. From there I may or may not vaccinate. I think it's silly to get hep B as soon as the baby is born. What is the likely hood your child is going to encounter infected blood?! Basically I'm not totally against vaccines but I plan to educate myself a LOT and being choosy about what vaccines to get.

P.S. My sister's pediatrician told her that breast feeding for 2 years is equivalent to the child getting all of your vaccines. I'm not sure how I feel about BFing that long but it's something to think about

I was not educated on the subject and vaxed by daughter on schedule until the MMR, which I delayed for over a year. She also has not been vaxed for chicken pox. We plan on testing her for immunity because I have shingles and she nursed at night until recently (just turned three) and has likely been exposed to it either way. We do NOT plan to give the hep B vax to this baby right away and will likely follow Dr. Sears vax schedule. After exhaustive searching I finally found a more holistic ped and she is on board with what we choose.

We will also not be getting the antibiotic eye goop on this baby. Apparently it is an outdated practice that was used back before STD testing was so reliable and available. The stuff you leanr when you look for the info!

I am interested in what your sisters ped said though and will have to research that. I know they get immunity while your breastfeeding, but I had not heard it would continue if you nursed for two years. Once I nursed past a year, nursing a toddler didn't seem so weird anymore and I LOVE that she never really got sick. I had a few wicked viruses and she never caught them or had very few symptoms. I completely credit nursing for this and flu season is one of the reasons I went past the WHO minimum recommendation of two years. We never do that vax, so the added protection makes me feel good :)
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    We are declining the eye goop also, as well as Vit K. After doing some research it helps prevent hemorrhaging but why would your baby be hemorrhaging? Also the dose they give them is based off of what adults need so that seems like overkill, and they get it from the colestrum when you BF so I don't see how it's necessary.

Got 2 of my thirsties diaper covers in the mail today :) So excited to diaper my little bundle of joy!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    We are declining the eye goop also, as well as Vit K. After doing some research it helps prevent hemorrhaging but why would your baby be hemorrhaging? Also the dose they give them is based off of what adults need so that seems like overkill, and they get it from the colestrum when you BF so I don't see how it's necessary.

Got 2 of my thirsties diaper covers in the mail today :) So excited to diaper my little bundle of joy!

Ahh, valid point on the Vit K!! Breastmilk is some amazing stuff!