Welcomes and Introductions

Options
I started this private group for those select few of us who actually enjoy eating real food.

I know that, for me, going onto the forums has become a tragic comedy of insanity, and I decided that I really didn't need to stick around and watch these people do... whatever is they're doing to themselves.

So here we are, the real foodies. Go ahead and introduce yourselves. Don't be afraid to be honest. I made this group private so that we can't be trolled by idiots, and I hope that I can trust those who are added to this group to be polite and supportive of each other. We are all in this together.

I'll start, since I'm the admin:

I am THExNEKOxCHAN. Neko for short, it's easier.

I am 25 years old, 5'4" and well over weight (currently 141kg) and I'm moving to real food for my health. I was diagnosed with sinus tachycardia (rapid heartbeat) due to my weight, and have back problems that the doctor associates with being overweight as well (I blame my overly large boobage though).

In the last few weeks, I have lost 4kg (about 9 pounds; I started this journey from 145kg), and my heart rate has dropped from 112 to 105 beats per minute. I have good blood pressure, I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic, and though my cholesterol was skewed a little to the "bad", it is still within normal range.

I have been working towards a low carb diet, by cutting out almost all bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. I also suspect a gluten or wheat sensitivity, so though I'm cutting carbs, for those times when I feel only pasta will do, I choose gluten-free pasta. (I am not, however, going to make a habit of the gluten-free products; they're there for treats, basically.)

I am working towards a goal of three hour-long+ workouts a week. I attend aqua fitness classes, and I walk almost everywhere.

When I'm not eating or exercising, I enjoy organic gardening, reading, sewing and other crafts.

Oh yes! Don't be put off by my avatar. It's my general opinion of the conventional diet (and stupid people) that spurred me to put it up. :P

Replies

• moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello. As for me.... I am moxie, middle aged (50), overweight by 80 lbs, and finally found a good comprehensive online diet aide. MFP. I have done this before, but with notebooks, a pencil, and a paperback calorie book. It works, but a PIA. I was just re-starting my current weight loss regimen, with the notebooks, when I found MFP. I also bought a food scale and got on to my Schwinn Airdyne bike I had bought 6 yrs ago.
    I believe in eating healthy....and as un-processed as possible. Like everyone else, I grew up with too many food choices, and not enough nutritional information to know what a portion looks like. Or any decent food scales either. I used the mechanical one for years. BUt it was very inconvenient and inaccurate, so I tossed that one eventually. Then, it was back to just eating what I wanted, and however much I wanted.
    My main reason for getting back on track....... middle age has finally announced itself that it is here. Sore joints, poor sleep, breathlessness, all over body pain. Etc. It was NOT pretty. I was getting acid reflux at night, heartburn all day, snoring more at night, up all night with trips to the bathroom, kidney stones. And dealing with peri-menopause.
    My last weight loss was back in 2007, when I had decided to relocate myself to South Carolina from Kansas. That by itself was a 1,000 mile move. All by myself. I had to prepare myself to get back into the job market, look for housing, etc....all while not having any net work of friends and family to fall back on when I got here. So, I made up my mind t lose the weight.
    Losing weight in your 40's is much easier before menopause issues.
    Back to 2013. Due to the recent health concerns, I made up my mind to get with the program. Being unemployed, and miles from any gym facilities, I do as much healthy cooking and living from home as possible. We got chickens to have farm fresh eggs, and hormone free chicken meat. We grow a garden when we can. We buy a 1/4 beef steer for grass fed beef comsumption. We only drink tea, milk and our well water. We limit our store purchased sea foods and shell fish. We limit our sugary snacks and treats. I weigh and measure all portions.
    So far, since starting this weightloss journey the first week of Jan 2013, I have lost 10 pounds. DH has lost a few more pounds.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Hello. As for me.... I am moxie, middle aged (50), overweight by 80 lbs, and finally found a good comprehensive online diet aide. MFP. I have done this before, but with notebooks, a pencil, and a paperback calorie book. It works, but a PIA. I was just re-starting my current weight loss regimen, with the notebooks, when I found MFP. I also bought a food scale and got on to my Schwinn Airdyne bike I had bought 6 yrs ago.
    I believe in eating healthy....and as un-processed as possible. Like everyone else, I grew up with too many food choices, and not enough nutritional information to know what a portion looks like. Or any decent food scales either. I used the mechanical one for years. BUt it was very inconvenient and inaccurate, so I tossed that one eventually. Then, it was back to just eating what I wanted, and however much I wanted.
    My main reason for getting back on track....... middle age has finally announced itself that it is here. Sore joints, poor sleep, breathlessness, all over body pain. Etc. It was NOT pretty. I was getting acid reflux at night, heartburn all day, snoring more at night, up all night with trips to the bathroom, kidney stones. And dealing with peri-menopause.
    My last weight loss was back in 2007, when I had decided to relocate myself to South Carolina from Kansas. That by itself was a 1,000 mile move. All by myself. I had to prepare myself to get back into the job market, look for housing, etc....all while not having any net work of friends and family to fall back on when I got here. So, I made up my mind t lose the weight.
    Losing weight in your 40's is much easier before menopause issues.
    Back to 2013. Due to the recent health concerns, I made up my mind to get with the program. Being unemployed, and miles from any gym facilities, I do as much healthy cooking and living from home as possible. We got chickens to have farm fresh eggs, and hormone free chicken meat. We grow a garden when we can. We buy a 1/4 beef steer for grass fed beef comsumption. We only drink tea, milk and our well water. We limit our store purchased sea foods and shell fish. We limit our sugary snacks and treats. I weigh and measure all portions.
    So far, since starting this weightloss journey the first week of Jan 2013, I have lost 10 pounds. DH has lost a few more pounds.

I'm jealous of your chickens!!!!!!!
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Hi! I'm 32 years old and over the last year I've transitioned to paleo style of life. I've lost 30lbs in the last year, but more importantly, I greatly improved some serious GI issues I having. I've completed three Whole30s and feel more amazing every time I do one! I'm not perfect, but the majority of the food I eat is local, grass-fed, organic...etc. I still drink woodchuck occasionally and sometimes even eat processed candy. I would say that 90-95% of the time, I eat pretty "clean". I can't see myself ever going back to eating processed convenient "food" again. I'm always looking for more information about nutrition and health. I read articles every day to try to educate myself. I might even share some of them with the group if you don't mind :happy:

My husband has transitioned to this lifestyle with me. We both eat paleo(ish), do Whole30s together and go to CrossFit (yes, we drink the koolaid!). His lifestyle change has been a 180. He motivates, impresses and shocks people every day with what he's done. Today, his dental hygienist commented on how much healthier his gums are since the last time he was there!!! :noway: So.. of course he told her that it was probably from the way he's been eating! He's a walking paleo/whole30/CrossFit billboard.

I guess that's it. I'm glad to be here. As Neko said, the forums are a lil cuh-razy :ohwell:
  • kristiekohn
    Options
    Thanks for the invite Neko!

I'm Kristie. I am 32 years old as well, and recently gave birth to fraternal twins (Jan 9). I gained over 60 pounds while pregnant, but lost 40 of those within a week of giving birth--there was a lot of baby in there! So, now my goal is to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight, plus lose an extra 10 pounds.

My weight loss is a little complicated by the fact that I'm exclusively breastfeeding my twins. I need to be careful that I'm eating enough so that my milk production stays up.

I'm a big believer in eating meat and fat! I have both "Nourishing Traditions" and "The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care." They are my "food bibles." The misinformation being spread about (fat is bad) by the very people who are supposed to be healing us (my doctor, your doctor, all the doctors it seems) sickens me. I don't know how or why people have gotten brainwashed into this line of thinking, that somehow removing fat from yogurt makes it better for you, or eating empty calories from a rice cake is healthy. It boggles my mind! But I have found that it doesn't usually pay to try and change anyone's mind on the subject--the brainwashing is thorough and apparently irreversible. :)
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for more information about nutrition and health. I read articles every day to try to educate myself. I might even share some of them with the group if you don't mind :happy:

Nope! Not at all. Have fun and post whatever you like. :)

I'm pretty sure I've got links here too, I just have to find them. I get a lot of info from friends posting on Facebook (go figure).
  • moxie1962
    Options
    I read somewhere...long ago...that if you're going to put spread on your bread...it might as well be the real thing. Real butter. Unsalted.
    I did that for a few years, then we switched to margarine. Now, I am back to butter.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I read somewhere...long ago...that if you're going to put spread on your bread...it might as well be the real thing. Real butter. Unsalted.
    I did that for a few years, then we switched to margarine. Now, I am back to butter.

Thank goodness, the list of chemicals in margarine is scah-ary! :sick:
  • moxie1962
    Options
    Just life got in the way. You know..the 80's...and 90's. Stuff like that.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    I was just reading about margarine and it's history. Napoleon had a contest during some war: if someone could invent a butter replacement for the soldiers, they'd get a prize. Some guy blended beef tallow with milk to get this... stuff. They used to dye margarine pink or red, because they wanted people to buy butter, not the scary weird stuff. Wisconsin was the last state to remove the restrictions and dye from margarine.

I used to eat it. Now, it makes me gag. i was so happy when my husband said he was weaning himself off it. He was buying tubs of the stuff. It's vile.

Now we buy Duck River butter. Good stuff. Occasionally we get Western Star, and that comes cultured, which seems to have even more flavor.
  • sparky38351
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for the invite! My name is Billie, I am 34 years old and I started my very first Whole 45 right after Christmas. I have been about 95% paleo ever since! I got started after seeing how much better my good friend SNICCIFIT was doing and I jumped in head first. Now I can't see myself eating any other way! I love eating lots of fat with my meals, and I feel 100x better than I did before. I did lose about 8lb, but more than that I've nearly cut out all of my migraine and ulcer meds! It's nice to be able to complete my day to day tasks without having a migraine totally cripple me!

On a side note, my main forms of exercise are running, and lifting HEAVY weights! I lift 2-3 days a week and try to run 2-3 days a week as well. There is also an occassional 30m dog walk here and there (I have 3)! I have seen improvements in my performance in the gym, and my energy level is through the roof!

I am really looking forward to reading the posts in this group every day!
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    A 30 mile dog walk?! You are WAY hard core!

I am working on building strength myself. I used to be quite strong, though I think my lower body strength has taken off while my upper body strength has diminished. *sigh*

I'll be looking into a yoga/pilates class today. maybe I'll find some time to add yet another fitness class to my exercise habits.
  • sparky38351
    Options
    eek! 30 minute! NOT 30 mile! lol
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    I wondered! lol